Started watching anime again, after 25 years

er0

Hi everyone,

I am 39 years old. I used to watch anime growing up. I remember watching all of the seasons of Slayers, the three Robotech series, among others, and having fond memories of them even as an adult. Recently, since the lockdown began, I introduced some of my favorites to my kids, and we started watching them and enjoying them together.

I also started watching anime that is not child-appropriate privately... and landed on the masterpiece that is Death Note. Now after having watched it through, I am blown away. What an emotional and spiritual roller coaster the artists who made it sent everybody through. 

But having watched it, I am left craving for more, which brought me to this forum.

If you have suggestions on what I can add to my list, then I would love to hear. I'm looking for ones that are thought-provoking, along the lines of Death note.

Best,

Ernie

• Like 3

Welcome to the forums. Glad to have another “older” member.

For something thought provoking along the lines of Death Note I would recommend Monster, though it will be difficult to find through conventional channels. Not so much like Death Note, but nonetheless worthy of titles like epic & masterpiece would be Vinland Saga. You might also enjoy Attack on Titan as it combines action with an emotional rollercoaster. The Promised Neverland is more on the suspenseful side with a lot of emotional impact.

A few side recommendations. You mentioned Slayers, not sure if you’re aware that in addition to the original 3 seasons, 2 more were released likely during your time away (Slayers Revolution & Evolution R). Finally for something reasonably kid friendly (I would say it stays in PG territory), there’s Welcome to Demon School Iruma-kun which combines comedy with some more shonen traits later on.

Anyway, hope you enjoy it here & stick around 😁  

• Like 3

hi there, and glad to see you are interested in anime that make you think as well! Unfortunately there aren't too many anime that are as explicitly thought-provoking as Death Note in my opinion. (but I agree, Death Note is really something else)
One that makes you think, but in a different way, is Neon Genesis Evangelion, but you do need some general background knowledge to get some of the symbolism and allusions.
Yet another rather old one is Now and Then, Here and There. This one is largely a take on war and power I'd say. It does contain some scenes related to sexual abuse though, not really in an explicit sense that you see much, but rather that everyone gets that aspect of war as well.
Another (but you will see everyone else here disagreeing with me 😂) is Naruto, the first one also but especially Shippuden. This one is a rather mainstream fighting, i.e. shonen, anime but the general theme touches on different views concerning deeper topics. that being said, it is a long series and this aspect of the show takes a lot of time to develop.

Also, I envy you that you get to watch anime with your kids 😂 

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! Vinland Saga is available on Amazon Prime Video in the US. That's where we also watched Robotech. 

Yes, I feel lucky that my kids took into anime so eagerly. They are only 8, and your typical kids growing up in the US, but now they want to watch Slayers every evening, and they really enjoy the humor. I do know about Slayers Revolution. But I didn't know that there were three original seasons, I only new of two. Something to look into. Thanks for the tip on Demon School Iruma-kun, we'll give that a try. I would love to hear examples of more animes in that comedy/action space.

Thanks again!

Ernie

• Like 1

2 hours ago, er0 said:

Thanks for the suggestions! Vinland Saga is available on Amazon Prime Video in the US. That's where we also watched Robotech

Since you have Prime I would also recommend Dororo. Like Vinland Saga it’s probably not for the kids as it’s violent has a more complex take on morality & ethics.

2 hours ago, er0 said:

I do know about Slayers Revolution. But I didn't know that there were three original seasons, I only new of two.

The tv series are: Slayers, Slayers Next, Slayers Try, Slayers Revolution, & Evolution R. There are also a number of specials/movies that take place before Lina meets Gourry. They aren’t as kid friendly because Lina’s traveling companion is Naga who wears a really skimpy outfit. She is however related to one of the tv series characters & actually plays a role of sorts in Revolution or Evolution R. For something similar to Slayers, I’d recommend Rune Soldier though you might want to preview before showing the kids as I remember it having some fanservice

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished watching Vinland Saga. Wow, it was beautiful. The moment, "Become a true warrior, son of Thors," is one to stay etched in the mind. 

I'm going to try one of Puella Magi Madoka Magica, and Fullmetal Alchemist, next. Thanks for these suggestions, everyone.

Must be nothing less then a culture shock watching something from 20+ years ago to something released  even a few years ago. I personally have followed anime pretty much non stop from age 6 to now with my highest level of interest starting in junior high. So I have been heavily into for 18, or so years. I am glad you are enjoying it, and found some series you yourself can enjoy on your own. If you ever want suggestions this is a great place for them just browse around the forums for five minutes, and you'll see lots of interesting series. We here also love suggesting series to each other so feel free to ask me at any time. :) 

• Love it! (Daisuki) 1