What Influenced You to Watch Anime?

LovingthisAnimething

To get this discussion started, my friends were what attracted me to anime. Most of my friends are noobs so when I started becoming friends with them I was surrounded by there anime love, and all the anime shows they were watching and the interesting plots I constantly heard about. One day i decided I had to watch an show. When i did eventually start watching I couldn't stop and I've been loving it everysense. The first show I started off with was Naruto btw, then it expanded to Seven Deadly Sins, then Fairy Tail and I plan on watching much more. I'm watching Fairy Tail now btw and it's too good, in my opinion better than Naruto!

When I was at school, they blocked my access from YouTube so I had to find something else to occupy my time and I would usually watch Attack on Titan on Adult Swim, as well as earlier then that, I would watch Vortex on Saturdays (vortex is not a show, its a thing similar to a channel, though its gone now because it used to air on cw11). Vortex would show cartoons and anime, like Dragon Ball Z Kai, Yugioh, Sonic X(not sure if this is a anime or cartoon) and other things. It stopped airing long ago though. But yeah back to the response, after I was blocked I started looking for anime's that I know like Dragon Ball, so then I went to a website full of anime, and I was fairly surprised by the different genres that they had. I checked one out and before I knew it I was hooked. So now if you ask me what I would rather watch a live action movie or an anime, I would be more inclined to choose the latter.

P.S.: I don't know if I described Vortex well enough If not then try looking up Vortex cw11, maybe something will come up.

Edited by Kirito.Yuuki

I’ve always been fascinated by animation in general as a medium. The first anime I saw (Star Blazers) & Robotech some years later really stood out from the “cartoons” that were on tv at the time (70’s & 80’s). Even in their edited & Americanized versions, they had a linear story that dealt with the topic of the military & war and had characters that matured, fell in love & in some cases died, as well as personalities that didn’t always fit into the stereotypical heroes & villains. 
Since getting into streaming in recent years, I’ve really diversified the different genres I watch, though my favorite is probably fantasy (as in D&D type worlds) or ones with a supernatural aspect to them.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 1

Dude, how old r u? I mean no disrespect, it's just that the way u describe it seems as though u experienced these anime's first-hand. Also not sure if this fits your criteria but there r two anime u should  check out, they're High School DxD and Log Horizon. The first one probably not but the second one maybe?

3 minutes ago, efaardvark said:

Here we go again.  :D 

I’ve made several references on these forums about how I first got into anime as well being a member of the half-century club :P 

34 minutes ago, Kirito.Yuuki said:

High School DxD and Log Horizon

I watched some HSDxD, I think finished the first season, but found it too ecchi for my tastes. Planning on checking out Log Horizon soon as season 3 is scheduled for next year.

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

6 minutes ago, Ohayotaku said:

Planning on checking out Log Horizon soon as season 3 is scheduled for next year.

Season 1 was pretty good.  Season 2 either lost focus or didn't go far enough.  The ending seemed unfinished to me, and left too many dangling plot threads.  Hopefully season 3 will pull it back together again, though that's unlikely in my experience with other franchises.  At any rate I intend to check it out as well, just in case.

• Like 1

I have a anime suggestion for you. If u haven't already seen it then u should check out Heroic Age, not really d&d type but more on the term of Sci-fi and mecha type. Interesting I have to say, I can't really describe it because I am terrible at description, but u should definitely check it out.

10 hours ago, Kirito.Yuuki said:

I have a anime suggestion for you. If u haven't already seen it then u should check out Heroic Age, not really d&d type but more on the term of Sci-fi and mecha type. Interesting I have to say, I can't really describe it because I am terrible at description, but u should definitely check it out.

I’d watched an older OVA series called Broken Blade that had mecha but were powered by a sort of alchemy/sorcery & enjoyed it. Unfortunately it “ended” without really resolving anything. I think I saw where there was also a tv series, but it never got licensed in the US. I’ll add Heroic Age to my PTW list, but probably won’t get to it anytime soon. Like  I said, I want to check out Log Horizon so I know if the upcoming season is something I’m interested in.

Right now, I’m still sampling the new shows/seasons to decide which ones I want to follow weekly. My current top prospects:

Golden Kamuy S3

Fire Force S2

Moriarty the Patriot

Jujutsu Kaisen

I’m standing on a million Lives

Edited by Ohayotaku

I saw Broken Blade as well and I felt the same about the story. Like

Spoiler

why did Sigyn marry the Hodr if she was in love with Rygart, I mean she wasn't a princess so there shouldn't have been a political marriage or was it because she was a noble?

Either way I don't really remember much about it seeing as how I haven't watched it in like half a year.

P.S.: Heroic Age is already finished.

from yours truly,      Kirito

Edited by Kirito.Yuuki
add on
  • Like 1

I think for me (if I can think that far back now) it was just the fact that I was obsessed with Zoids, Beyblade and Pokemon as a kid. I decided to go looking for more shows like that and discovered what anime really was. The artwork, comedy and overall emotions that make up these anime are what really got me hooked. To most kids at age 8 or 9 anime like Pokemon was probably just another cartoon to them, some liked the show and some just weren't into it but for me personally it was different. The characters seem to have more personality, the artwork had more depth to it and the series just had feeling. Most American cartoons especially back then lacked those qualities. Majority of cartoons nowadays still lack it. 

And I only had two friends, two that were obsessed with anime like I was (still am and they are still friends to this day). One I met in 5th grade and she was attending a different school at the time (she actually started attending my school a year after) and the second moved to my town in 10th grade. Otherwise everyone else thought anime was lame and would bully you if you even brought up the subject. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

The characters seem to have more personality, the artwork had more depth to it and the series just had feeling. Most American cartoons especially back then lacked those qualities. Majority of cartoons nowadays still lack it. 

Agreed

When i was a young boy every Saturday night i would stay up and watch a anime block called Bionix, it was an anime block for a Canadian channel called YTV. I use to be fascinated with shows like .hack//Sign, Case Closed, Eureka Seven, Inuyasha, Naruto, Witch Hunter Robin, and Zatch Bell. In the Morning on Saturdays i would wake up early to watch animes on 4kids, for example One Piece, Shaman King, and Yugioh.  These sort of shows inspired me to tape (Yes i am that old) anime off of these television blocks so i could watch them later.

As a teenager when i got my laptop, i would torrent legally acquire a bunch of anime of varying genres that interested me. A sort of amusing event to mention; when i was 13 years old i stayed up from 12 PM to 3 AM watching Akira. As a pre-teen i did not know what the hell was going on; and the mutation scene had me awake all night. But i remember enjoying it quite alot that i tried to get motorcycle licence but failing the test.

• Like 1

My dad has actually been a weeb for at least 20 years since i was born, and so when i was really young, it just rubbed off on me and now a lot of the anime I watch is something my dad recommended to me, or is something that we both wanted to watch together. And honestly, I think that is the best way to watch anime.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/29/2020 at 12:15 PM, InsertComedy said:

My dad has actually been a weeb for at least 20 years since i was born, and so when i was really young, it just rubbed off on me and now a lot of the anime I watch is something my dad recommended to me, or is something that we both wanted to watch together. And honestly, I think that is the best way to watch anime.

I'm liking for your signature at the bottom, lol!!

I started off quite early in my journey of watching anime while NOT even knowing it was called anime. It's been roughly over a decade now and the journey is yet to end.

Because its drawing/animation & storyline were so extraordinary when compared to the cartoons I watched previously, it quickly peaked my interest. Ultimately, after watching Castle in the Sky & Spirited Away successively. I figured with my 10 years that this was beyond anything i've seen so far. Thus I decided to find out more about these different but unique cartoons. Well, that's it. I've most likely seen every Studio Ghibli movie at this point of time. Makoto Shinkai takes up where Hayao Miyazaki left off and carries his legacy farther.

So what really influenced me to watch anime?

If I were to give you a short answer right upfront: Studio Ghibli 

Immersive storytelling, mind-blowing animation, able to trigger ones emotions/feelings or simply scattered thoughts after watching

Edited by Mazino