Are humans good or evil?

Nebulous

They're delicious. 

Anyway they're both. You can't have one without the other or else they can't choose either. The scientific definition of evil is "You can't ignore it."

What is it you want out of this philosophical debate? And why only humans?

Edited by Clayton

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 12:44 AM, Steven said:

Humans are great and no one beat them. Humans create you "anime"...!!! By the way i don't know humans are delicious or not. But humans are good. 

Which anime? Some of them suck. Also the best ones are evil. 

As for me one of my favorite memories involves some kids playing with ne of those pellet BB guns. This lady got her hands on it and shot me in the ass. 

Now she's just had heart surgery (was still smoking) and was in a wheel chair and was about sixty or so. 

I took the gun, made her stand up and turn around and took careful aim. One of the kids knocked the gun aside on my first shot, so I pushed him aside and then I casually shot her in the back. 

I still get a great sense of warm satisfaction every time I think of that moment. 

Edited by Clayton

I prefer to think most people are good, though it's clear they have the potential to go extremely evil. I think most people living their day-to-day lives are just trying to do the best they can, do a little good in the world, and probably help people around them when it's needed. At least that's what I've learned from all my traveling to different countries. People have shown me kindness and gone out of their way to help me when I've needed it, even when it holds up their day and they certainly didn't have to do it. So I like to keep that in my mind when I think about people. All that aside though, there are some people out there who would choose to do a lot of bad things. Usually somehow these people think they are still doing the "right" thing though. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Sakura said:

I prefer to think most people are good, though it's clear they have the potential to go extremely evil. I think most people living their day-to-day lives are just trying to do the best they can, do a little good in the world, and probably help people around them when it's needed. At least that's what I've learned from all my traveling to different countries. People have shown me kindness and gone out of their way to help me when I've needed it, even when it holds up their day and they certainly didn't have to do it. So I like to keep that in my mind when I think about people. All that aside though, there are some people out there who would choose to do a lot of bad things. Usually somehow these people think they are still doing the "right" thing though. 

The problem is good and evil are usually rather subjective. most people who do "evil" think they're doing good. Hitler thoght he was helping. Also some people can do both. Many serial killers go home and take care of their family, donate to charities, etcetera. And in many cases people feel you can do a lot to someone else if "they've got it coming". Or did you not laugh while watching Home Aloen when they et a man on fire, electrocuted him and so forth?

Lord of the Flies implies we're born evil and good is a learned behavior. 

supervising-devil-on-your-shoulder.gif

Edited by Clayton