+ / - about your job

Nebulous

As someone who is retired I no longer have a job, but here are some of my thoughts about the job I had.

The big negative was that it was a customer facing and customer driven job which meant that we were often working to the customers, sometimes unreasonable, deadlines and sometimes had more work coming in than we could really cope with and turning work away wasn't an option. Some customers could be quite demanding and while we did try to explain how long things took to do there were always a few stroppy individuals who wouldn't, and didn't want, to listen. Although thankfully the majority of our customers were polite, understanding, friendly and usually up for a chat and a laugh or two.

On the positive side it was an interesting job that I enjoyed doing and being a customer driven job it meant that if there were no customers we had no work to do but generally the work ticked over at a steady rate with the quiet times roughly balancing out the madcap "headless chicken" times. Over the years I worked in a number of different places and, with a very few exceptions, my colleagues were a friendly bunch and we all worked together as a team and helped each other out. 

• 1 month later...

The positives of mine are:

- I work from home so I can chill out in my pj's all day and work from anywhere.

- My boss is very chill so she doesn't care when we get our work done as long as the work is done on time, which means if you need to run off to the grocery store or a doctor's appointment midday it's perfectly okay.

- Since I'm at home I can take an hour long nap at lunch if I want to.

The negatives are:

- Since it's work from home they like to do A LOT of video chatting in meetings which I hate.

- By state law you have to have cases open by a certain time or the company can be fined so you need to be on top of your work and keeping very good track of your cases. It can get a little stressful at times.

Overall though I love what I'm doing right now and feel really lucky to have landed the job I have because the pay is amazing and my boss tries to help us and keeps things as relaxed as possible for us.

Edited by Sakura
  • Like 2

I haven't had a job since June but I'll go off my last job which was English teaching at a camp in Spain

The pros: 

1. lived next to the beach, got to be outside all the time. 

2. Free accommodation and food for 5 days out of the week.

3. Pretty good hours in a fun environment. 

4. The ability to travel around a new country and experience a different culture. (was an hour train ride from Barca and the train station was a 5 minute walk) 

The cons: 

1: Not a lot of free time during weekdays (we worked from 8 am until 1 pm then 3 pm until 8 pm and then often had to work through lunch and then had disco duty from 9 pm to 11 pm at night) 

2: Pay was horrific, 400 a month which was equal to around 60c an hour (Yes we had food and accommodation but only for weekdays, considering this company was making what we estimated was over 100,000 euros a week)