New Year's Resolutions

Sakura

Curious what is everyone's New Year's resolutions for 2024? 
Are you going to give up a bad habit or maybe want to start something new such as a new hobby?
Maybe go for a job advancement or cross a travel place off your bucket list?

For me I think I have a couple of basic ones such as to eat healthier and exercise a little more, and make sure I graduate from college this year with high grades. I also have a few that are of course pretty personal, but I think my main one is this year to stop focusing on what everyone else wants from me and focus on what I want from me. To make my life more about my own goals and get to know myself and what makes me happier a little better.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Sakura said:

but I think my main one is this year to stop focusing on what everyone else wants from me and focus on what I want from me.

This is a very good New Year Resolution. I've known too many people who have been totally stressed out by trying to live up to the standards set up for them by their parents and other people.

• Like 1

For me this year, I want to try to make a few more friends, whether it's online or IRL. While it's really difficult to make friends as an adult, I think a lot of the problem for me is that I don't do quite enough to put myself out there to meet people. I'm no social butterfly and I can't stand a crowd, but I feel like I should try to put myself in somewhat social situations, if for nothing else just for the opportunity to sharpen my social skills to make it a little easier to meet new people. Easier said than done, though. I have some days when I just want solitude above all else. 😅 The other thing I want to continue working on is eliminating my debts and saving up so I can buy a home of my own someday soon.

I guess another smaller resolution would be to cook more food that's better for me at home more often and stop eating out so much.

• Like 2
  • Friendly 1

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

This is a very good New Year Resolution. I've known too many people who have been totally stressed out by trying to live up to the standards set up for them by their parents and other people.

Yeah, I feel like that's what I've done the majority of my life up until this point and its become too exhausting. I've recently realized regardless of how much I try to live up to those standards that certain people, and parents as well, have set for me, it's never going to be good enough. Recently I also realized I'm not even sure if I know myself and what I really want for myself in life, or even what I like since I always go along with what everyone else says or what is considered to be acceptable and "normal". I really want to spend the next year, and all the years after it for that matter, doing what makes me happy since it's my life and I'm only getting 1 experience here on the Earth to make it what I want it to be. 

1 hour ago, viruxx said:

For me this year, I want to try to make a few more friends, whether it's online or IRL. While it's really difficult to make friends as an adult, I think a lot of the problem for me is that I don't do quite enough to put myself out there to meet people. I'm no social butterfly and I can't stand a crowd, but I feel like I should try to put myself in somewhat social situations, if for nothing else just for the opportunity to sharpen my social skills to make it a little easier to meet new people. Easier said than done, though. I have some days when I just want solitude above all else. 😅 The other thing I want to continue working on is eliminating my debts and saving up so I can buy a home of my own someday soon.

I guess another smaller resolution would be to cook more food that's better for me at home more often and stop eating out so much.

Making friends as an adult is very hard lol If I hadn't went back to college I seriously doubt I would have any friends locally because I don't put myself out there either. I'm also pretty quiet in general so that doesn't exactly attract people irl. I have the same type of days though where I just want to be by myself and not have any people interaction whatsoever but I think that's understandable, everyone needs to recharge. You have a nice personality though so I don't think you will have any trouble meeting people if you try ^^ 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I agree.  It is easy to get caught up in trying to meet other peoples' expectations.  Other people aren't always considerate of your particular circumstances or abilities, and often they're more about getting you to do what they want you to do than motivating you to do better at what you want to do.

I don't usually make NY resolutions but my overall philosophy or goal is to just to always do better than I did last time at everything I do.  It's a simple, realistic goal, you can't cheat (or at least you know when you're cheating), and it still provides motivation in a positive direction so you don't slack off.  Over the years I've also found that by simply using myself as a yardstick I ultimately tend to wind up well ahead of the crowd in areas I care about, which provides more positive reinforcement.  It's a lot less stressful than trying to live up to unrealistic goals such as beating out the other 7 billion humans to be "the best" at something.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not *particularly* a new years resolution since I've been trying to be a bit better since last year but im: 

Trying to drink less, I'm sure I was pretty close to full alcoholism for awhile there, but took a month completely off and started exercising more and doing more other things to kick the habit.

Going to school again and learning new things just for the hell of it.

I also want to make new friends and spend more time with friendships I already have.

And go to the movies a lot cuz I have a regal unlimited and ima use it

• Like 1

I want to do that as well, to focus on friendships I already have. I isolate myself a lot from time to time and it will take me weeks to respond to someone. I need to try to get better at communicating what I'm going through with friends and try to spend more time with them.