May Writing Contest

Ryuji

Guidelines

• Keep it under 5,000 words.
  • Entries will end at the end of May 31st.
  • A voter poll will be set up for one week from June 1st - June 7th.
  • The winner will receive a badge, and entry members will receive a participant badge.

• As always, just keep in mind the forum guidelines before posting.
  • Have fun!

Format for submission:

Title:

Theme:

Entry:

Edited by Guest

Title: Water

Theme: Emotions

Entry:

"The feel, the wind, the smell, as the shape appears on the horizon my sense flare,

the water droplets spring onto my skin, the wet feeling sinking in, will i be sucked in or will i swim to freedom?, with every thought i sink more and more, but as i sink a panic envelops me, i must rise!, the water will not win. It will not win. He will not win. I shall win. I shall rise. And show all the water my true colours. The waters will know my face and i will be free, i will be restored"

• Creative 1

Title: Water

Theme: Emotions

Entry:

"The feel, the wind, the smell, as the shape appears on the horizon my sense flare,

the water droplets spring onto my skin, the wet feeling sinking in, will i be sucked in or will i swim to freedom?, with every thought i sink more and more, but as i sink a panic envelops me, i must rise!, the water will not win. It will not win. He will not win. I shall win. I shall rise. And show all the water my true colours. The waters will know my face and i will be free, i will be restored"

that reminded me of Free! I love Free! x3 \(^ω^)/

Title: Another voyage

Theme: Adventure/ sci-fi

Entry:

As I gazed out from the deck of the bastion, I never in all my years could have imagined how bountiful and spacious the ocean could be. Within the few moments of peering overboard, I franticly became overwhelmed with the vivid colours and hypnotic movements of the waves, slowly lapping against the rotting wooden ply boards of the ship. Since the day was nearly at an end, the seven setting suns left a trail of blaze across the sky, which seemed to shimmer off my diamond cut eyes, and left me awe struck. The ocean itself appeared to absorb the passing inferno, leaving behind a deep amethyst current. To me, this sight appeared to resemble a long sheet of velvet silk, swaying in the warm winds of the planet’s surface. With this sight came the astonishing yet allusive sound of a silver eagle, screeching as it flew overhead. Due to this random surprise, it appeared as if all my other senses came back to me in one flood. This was apparent, as I began to smell the eroding of the decomposed wood, which began to make me feel slightly nauseous. It came as another shock when a large wave came by, a due to being awestruck, I had lent to far of the side, which ended in the vile and rancid concoction of water and salt upon my faceplate. The taste was unappealing, and yet the water itself was cool and invigorating. Deciding that I had enough for one day, I began retreating to the lower decks to get some rest. I hadn’t slept for over a month, so upon yawning, I decided it was time to rest.

After descending the wooden steps, I turned to face a familiar and welcome site. The lower deck of the ship didn’t resemble its outer shell. The open spaced room I was now standing contained an abundance of wires, flooding the floor. They all were connected to the ship’s mainframe, which when given the correct signal, would warp the ship back to my main planet, out of harm’s way. The surrounding walls were formed from thick titanium, and contained tones of dents from the last encounter I had with one of the planet's native, and “very friendly”, species. Steadily tiptoeing over the potential trip hazards, I darted towards the old withered bed that sat in the corner of the room, collecting dust. Upon reaching the bed, I lay down upon its soft mattress and began contemplating about whether or not to return to my realm. Without realising, I drifted into a silent slumber.

A loud and unexpected crash came out of nowhere, causing me to scramble to my feat in shock. Racing up the wooden steps and flinging the door to the upper deck wide open, I discovered with much surprise that the ship had collided with a large island, densely covered with thick vegetation. The island itself appeared to be populated by something, as a lone fishing pole sat propped up against a nearby rock. I began to descend the side ropes of the ship, dropping onto the rough, grainy sand that covered the coastline. Visibility through the jungle-like vegetation was minimal; however the smell of roasting flesh coming from within called me towards it. Knowing that the travel would be difficult, I unsheathed my blades and began tearing through the undergrowth.

Hours had past, yet no sign of where the aroma had originated from. Deciding that nightfall was soon, I sat down against an old oak tree, and began to meditate. At first nothing could be heard, silence enveloped the island. Then, without as much as a warning, the snap of a branch echoed from the surrounding wilderness. Breaking meditation, I arose from my position and began scanning the local area. Nothing, nothing moved, all became silent again, and yet something didn’t feel right. Without a moment react, a tall, slender being fell from above. Within a blink of an eye, my arms were bound behind my back, my face pressed against the earth; all began to turn black…

I awoke to an unfamiliar site, surrounded by the predecessors. Upon taking a closer look, I realized that I knew this weird species. They were head hunters, slender yet muscular in size, and would do anything to get the joy of the final blow on anything or anyone, taking their decapitated head as a prize. This group, however, appeared to adorn themselves with a red hand mark across their right eyes, supposedly to show their tribe, the way a soldier adorns his badge to show who he is fighting for. As I began to rise, a sudden tug stopped me. Looking down I realised that now I was chained to a large sacrificial circle, stained with the blood of all the other victims that arrived at this terrible place. Their leader, a short stubby thing, that carried a gargantuan plasma sword, began speaking ancient text. He drew an ancient knife from under his studded boots, raised it above his head and began to advance towards me. He began preparing for the final blow that would end my life. He advanced closer, took a deep breath, and began to strike. Silence fell as the blade began lancing towards my neck…

• Creative 1

Why Must We Fight?

Theme: Action, Autobiography

Entry:

Why must men fight? Why must we throw ourselves at each other and continue this senseless slaughter? I have been a soldier for 3 years and still cannot figure this out. Even through the change of being a frightened recruit to being a seasoned veteran, I cannot figure it out. I was 19 when I was drafted into the Mars Defense Force. I went through boot camp just like any other soldier, and was sent out to the front. I killed my first man on my 20th birthday. We were dug in fighting, cover to cover. We fought for every inch of ground that day, and I came out of the battle feeling a heavy guilt. As the battles went on and I killed more and more of the enemy, the guilt never went away. In fact, it became a crushing burden. At times, I felt like I was going to break, yet never did. The human spirit is resilient you see. No matter how many times you punch it, or dampen it, it bounces right back up. Thus I fought, carrying this heavy burden with me. A year later, on my 21st birthday I saw most of my unit get wiped out. I cried for days and when I finally pulled myself together, they were already transferring me to a different unit. I thought to myself... why must a man kill his fellow man? As I kept fighting in this war I finally figured out why. It was the most trivial of things. Both sides had slightly conflicting interests, so instead of working it out, they sent their armies to fight. Other soldiers and myself were the victims in this pathetic reason to fight. Of course, when your drafted, there is no way out of it. Even now as I sit in a foxhole watching bullets fly over me, I still fight. The reason is to protect my fellow soldier. Out here on the front, there is no black, white, earth-born, or martian. There is only a band of brothers trying not to get killed. The reason men fight is to protect their own. I will continue to carry the burden of the men I kill. For this reason and this reason alone, I will not break.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Title: Prologue: The Inferno

Theme: Fantasy

Entry:

Pain, that’s all I felt as I tried to escape the reality of the calamity that just occurred. I knew it was coming. I should have done something to prevent it but I didn’t because I was afraid I was interpreting the vision incorrectly again. Now I’m just lying here because I know that I barely made it out alive. If it wasn’t for the fact that I was wide awake trying to decide if I had interpreted that vision correctly and if I should warn my parents, I would have died too. Why, oh why didn’t I warn my parents? Why did I just assume the vision was some silly thing my mind made up and not take it seriously when I know I am blessed with clairvoyance? Oh well, it’s too late now. I might as well just lay here and die too…but wait, I can’t die yet. I must first find out who wanted me and my family dead so badly. My parents were loved by all or so I thought. As I struggle to move, I’m hit by a sudden realization. I don’t feel sad that my parents are gone. In fact, I feel relieved like a giant weight has been lifted off my shoulders. This reaction to my parent’s deaths turns my stomach to acid. I loved my parents and I feel like I should be devastated but I’m not. I’m happy to be free of their influence and as horrible as that may sound; I know that they were keeping me from reaching my full potential. I know this makes me seem like a horrible person but I don’t consider myself to be.

I’ve been burned by the flames…I couldn’t stop to heal myself for fear of being consumed by them and now that I’m safely away from them, I don’t have enough strength left to heal myself. I manage to get to my feet despite the severe burns on my legs and I walk a few steps only to collapse on the floor again. I can hear the village bell ringing sounding the alarm. The village black mages assemble to help put out the fire. Soon after, the white mages come and do their best to save me. They manage to heal me but they say that I need to take a few days to recover my strength. Two days later, despite the protests of the white mages, I return to my house to investigate for clues as to who the culprits were. As I search the wreckage, I recall the white mages saying that everybody was completely baffled by the situation when they found me. There was no way for them to tell were the fire even started, let alone figure out who caused it. As I wander through the wreckage, I come to the remains of the staircase that led to my room and I noticed a faint outline in the wood. It appeared to be a door. I don’t think I would have noticed it if it wasn’t for the minuscule difference in the color the wood turned after it burned. It seemed to be fully intact yet I had no idea how to open it. After several hours of searching, I finally found a latch hidden in the nearby closet. I release it and the hidden door opens. I enter to find stairs leading to a room I didn’t even know existed. When I entered the room, I found something that turned my entire world upside down.

There was a young girl, about my age, chained to a bed. She was in rags that barely kept her from being indecent. She was painfully thin and probably halfway dead. Dirt covered her body and she probably had not had a bath in weeks. I rushed over to her in fear only to be relieved because I could see the faintest motion of her breathing. I looked around till I found the keys that unlocked the chains that were holding her down. Then I rush outside to find some food and water for her. After returning with the food and water, I am able to revive her. She looks at me with fear in her eyes. I tell her I’m not going to hurt her. I then summon what strength I have and cast the white magic spell, Cure. I almost faint from exhaustion. I can normally cast stronger white magic spells but while my injuries were healed, the fatigue on my body remained. She sees the food and water I brought her and consumes it all. Now that she has recovered her strength, she starts to speak. “My name is Aya,” she says timidly as if afraid to tell me, “Your parents have been experimenting on me for the past two months.”

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

aaaaaaah I nearly forgot about this but I've been so busy D:

anyway, here's my (crappy?) writing TT^TT

Title: The Ruins

Theme: err... just some landscape description (nothing to see here)

Entry

The sun rises once again above the green fields, greeting the earth with rays of warm light, that dance happily among the scattered flower petals. The gentle breeze makes the blades of grass rustle contently in its wake, while it continues its way to disrupt the surface of the stream flowing nearby, in a hurry to meet with the vast sea. A few lonely trees spring from the ground, here and there, far from each other, with birds being their only company. A single butterfly flaps its fragile wings, with the elegance of a ballerina performing a choreography for the hundredth time, to disappear into the clear blue sky. She lets such details of nature's beaty capture her attention, taking them in one by one, before finally letting her eyes meet with the real treasure of the grassland.

Ruins of an old castle tower above her, casting a shadowy blanket over the emerald plains, remnants of a time long gone, that she knows only through myths and fairytales. A moat, no longer containing any water, embraces the castle like a protective mother, even after a millenium of not having to defend it has passed. Now, it provides shelter to small animals and plants, as well as broken parts of the stony walls, that rest quietly in the bosom of the earth. A large gap stands in place of what was once the front gate, allowing full acess to the castle's insides, if only one could find a way to cross the moat. Slim rays of morning sunlight pierce boldly through the cracks in the castle walls, unable to reach the ground. The contrast of light and dark gives the castle an eerie glow, that would send shivers down most people's spines. She, though, doesn't mind the otherworldly light. Instead, she feels enchanted, as if the ancient building is calling out to her, invitng her to explore every inch of it.

The girl can hear the chirping of a bird, somewhere near her, it's melodic voice combined with the symphony of the grasslands. Every sound, however, feels distant to her. Even time itself, seems to have stopped to admire the scenery that unfolds before her. She takes a few steps forward, until she is swallowed by the heavy shadow of the large building, finally hiding herself from the world.

• Creative 1