Worst video game of all time?

SAO LILDOOP

This thread is for you to post what game/game series you think is the worst of all time and then write out why.

The worst game series of all time imo is: Lord of the rings shadow of mordor.

Reasons: Its a completely stupid storyline that goes against every rule of LOTR and butchers LOTR canon. Its supposedly set in a different reality/multiverse which the LOTR books never said could be possible.

Talion comes back from the dead in the game all the time which is ridiculous. Only very powerful beings like Valar can resurrect people and they can only do it once; A wraith couldn't do it at all.

Also, there were Uruk in the game which wouldn't exist at all yet, since Saruman hadn't yet created them.

The trailer for shadow of war completely butchers everything it could possibly butcher.

First off: There is a Balrog. The one Gandalf fights in LOTR is the last one on earth and has been for ages, so there couldn't have been one fighting Talion. Secondly: Sauron is alive without the ONE ring!? That is absolute LOTR blasphemy. Thirdly: Talion just walked into Mordor while Sauron was alive and all his Nazgul and dragins were flying around? And then Talion just crafted a new "ONE RING". DISGUSTING! Nobody can just go and create rings of power! >:( And also, the Tengwar writing on the ring is gibberish, it means nothing because whomever designed the ring didn't know tengwar. 4: Talion is ging to fight Sauron? Sauron even without the ring is immensely powerful and it looks like he will be just as powerful in this game as he was when he had the ring (which is stupid because then he wouldn't have needed to make the ring at all) which means he would kill talion in one hit. 5: There's a black guy in the trailer. That is so ridiculous! In LOTR basically the only black people were the ones who rode the Oliphants and the other black people lived far away from where Sauron was and didn't travel to where he was attacking. 6: If Tolkien were alive he would be livid! Two random fans asked Tolkien if they could write some prologue books and not even call them canon, just write them for fun. Tolkien said he wouldn't let such tripe be written. So if he saw shadow of mordor he would probably go insane.

Summary: This game is complete crap and I hate to see the makers of this game butcher LOTR so much. Sickening, I hope no true LOTR fans support this game.

Anyway, you guys can post your thoughts about shadow of mordor below and list your own least fave games. :D

I'm going to say Hong Kong 97 for the Super Famicom. Never played, but man! Look it up. lol ><

Edited by Guest
  • Informative 1

That game was kind of fun tho imo, but for me, my least favorite game has to be Destiny.

It was so much fun at the time, even though the story was god awful, but the story ended before it began to sell $20 DLC. Wankers ruined a good game to make more money.

I can't call a game the worst because of how DLC or micro-transactions worked, because a game's rating should first and foremost be about how well it works. That means, does it lag from frame drops, do button inputs work properly, etc. With that in mind, I have to go with one of the more typical answers of, E.T. The game doesn't work well, and becomes more about working around it's faulty controls and graphics so poor, even for the time that you can't tell what's going on. It's also glitchy at bits and there's not redeemable about it at all.

• Agree 2

I can't call a game the worst because of how DLC or micro-transactions worked, because a game's rating should first and foremost be about how well it works. That means, does it lag from frame drops, do button inputs work properly, etc. With that in mind, I have to go with one of the more typical answers of, E.T. The game doesn't work well, and becomes more about working around it's faulty controls and graphics so poor, even for the time that you can't tell what's going on. It's also glitchy at bits and there's not redeemable about it at all.

In my opinion, the DLC ruined the game by neutering the story for extra money. I guess it was also really repetitive and grindy too, now that i think about it

• 1 month later...
The ET game for the NES, really bad stuff here, maybe i'm too old for this kind of thing lol

That's really about the only answer I can think to give for this... I mean c'mon, it's basically the most famous video game failure in history - if you adjust for inflation, it was basically a billion dollar screw-up that, along with a bad port of Pac-Man, basically sunk Atari, and screwed over the gaming industry of the day - clearing the way for Nintendo to come along and start putting the pieces back together.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't usually play obviously bad games that are devoid of any quality whatsoever, so it's hard for me to really name them. The "bad" games I do play are those with good graphics and music, high production value and stuff, but with bad game design or a mediocre story that bores me to tears. I don't care if I'm killing people in a dozen different methods for six hours if the story is blend and generic - or worse, if there is no story at all to distract me. It's why I dropped Borderlands as soon as I picked it up. It was kinda "fun", I guess, getting different weapons and upgrading them, but it just felt repetitive and routine after a while, grinding my way around just to get more guns and kill some more.

But at least Borderlands has the excuse of not being suitable for my particular taste, so it's not really a "bad game" per se. A truly bad game that immediately comes to mind... I can't believe I'd say it, but Bioware games. The newer titles.

Aside from the obvious glitches, Mass Effect: Andromeda was a snooze fest. The story and characters are already dull and uninteresting, but the meaningless side quests made things ten times worse. It feels very much like Dragon Age: Inquisition: devoid of life. When your NPCs and quests are as robotic as this, it makes the universe in the RPG feel monotonous and not fun to explore. There's no color or variety to it because it's just generic fetch-quests after generic fetch-quests.

Dragon Age: Inquisition, however, is FAR, FAR worse. It forces you to do those painful side quests in order to earn power points that you need to move the story forward! What the heck, Bioware?! I couldn't stand the prison I was trapped in by this corporate BS so I dropped the game before I could complete it, even though I paid loads of money for the GotY Edition! Jesus! Game of the Year my big fat granny hinny!

And the story, god, it's like Bioware's creative think-tank has depleted since Mass Effect 3's god-awful ending. The Kett are awful villains, generic grunts no better than your average Krogan enemy mobs. Their motivation towards spiritual and religious enlightenment could have been interesting were it not for their megalomaniacal leader, the Archon, stealing the spotlight all the way through. It's like we're dealing with Lord Zedd here!

In short, Bioware has created some of the most god-awful games since 2014, Inquisition's release date. They belong in the same bargain bin where what remains of No Man's Lie is probably resting in pieces.

In comparison, there are some really glitchy games that have fantastic game design mixed in them, such as Alpha Protocol. Even though Mass Effect Andromeda looks and sounds good, it pales in comparison compared to the much more exciting Alpha Protocol, where your choices ACTUALLY matter. Yeesh. EA should just let Obsidian Entertainment take over both the Mass Effect and Dragon Age franchise if it has any business sense left amidst that greed.

Edited by Guest

Persona 4 Golden immediately springs into my head, but I don't really want to start an argument, so I'll stop there.

Racking my brains a little harder...Mind = Zero on the Vita was pretty damn terrible. It was so badly scripted it wasn't even funny, the gameplay was mediocre and tedious with no unique element to make it stand out from other games in the genre, and it was horrendously unbalanced. Every dungeon felt like an anti-climax in that the dungeon enemies were ridiculously difficult, but the bosses themselves were so pathetically simple that it felt like a bad joke. And no, this was not because I'd been grinding to defeat harder dungeon enemies. I started skipping encounters halfway through the game and I still found it easy. Someone did not design this game properly.

• Like 2
  • Disagree 1

• 3 weeks later...
Persona 4 Golden immediately springs into my head, but I don't really want to start an argument, so I'll stop there.

Yeah, you kinda already did by bringing it up in the first place. But I don't really want to start an argument, so I'll stop there. ;)

Anyway, what I really want to talk about is Virtue's Last Reward. I know I've already reviewed it in the visual novel thread... but that's before I got to the True Route, which had an even bigger slap in the first than every route before. See, a big part of the game is about whether if you choose to ally or betray the people you are trapped with, right? Well, there's one AB round where you're given the choice of allying or betraying Phi... Guess what happens if you choose to Ally anyway? She automatically tells you that you've betrayed her in an alternate universe. WHAT THE ACTUAL F***?! REALLY?! Why the hell would you give me the choice between Ally and Betray if the default canon is that I might have chosen Betray in another timeline?

And that's not all! Oh ho ho, it gets much better - you can't progress with the game UNLESS you chose Betray once. SERIOUSLY?! What the hell?!

Such a stupid option. Worst, game, ever, due to the above reason and all the other reasons I've already mentioned in the visual novel thread (on how mediocre and tedious the story and gameplay is and how badly written some of the endings are). Also something I forgot to mention in the visual novel thread: the stupid loading screen. Everytime Sigma travels to another location in the warehouse, there's a stupid map screen that takes forever just to show Sigma moving from Position A to Position B, including pointless scenes that show the door opening and closing (for every single room that he goes through) and pointless scenes where Sigma waits for the elevator to arrive. It's obviously there so that the game could load in the background, like the stupid elevator sequences in Mass Effect. At least the elevator sequence in ME has funny conversations to kill the time, unlike Virtue's Last Reward here.

Such a horribly tedious game that I would be glad I'm done with by the time I'm done. Phew. Alright, rant over.

Worst? Well, that's a tough one to narrow down. I have a top 10 list of terrible games I've played already. But if I can choose only one, then I'll go with Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero. I bought anything everything that was related to Mortal Kombat when I was a kid and that included the Sub Zero title. So when people complain about a DLC or some other small issue, I tell them to give old Mortal Kombat a try.

• 3 weeks later...

Worst game for me was probably house of the dead 3.

Not because it was a bad game overall.

Just the last boss. [spoiler=(is)]The electric man

It was a pain in the ass to beat and we lost like 20 lives against it...

Also it quite literally made you blind fighting it.....