Manga for beginner....

Greeneyes

Now I'm not a total beginner I have 7 manga but only 2 series: Shugo Chara and Konosuba I really like both of them but kinda lost interest in Shugo Chara so as I wait for more Konosuba to be released I would like some recommendations for a beginner like me!

How I got into manga was via the same series that got me interested in anime, which were:

DBZ

Dragon Ball

Detective Conan

I would recommend those for beginners, but I would really suggest visiting the manga counterpart of a show that got you into anime.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

Fruits Basket is the first manga I ever read. Nice thing about it is that it is complete now IIRC. It's a light and cute slice of life with fantasy elements.

A lot of the CLAMP manga are very well done and have pretty well rounded stories and great art. I recommend Tsubasa the Reservoir chronicle and xxxHolic.

I haven't read much of Tegami Bachi : Letter Bee but the few volumes I read were pretty amazing. I just happened to start reading the series when I was phasing out of manga. Once I have some bookshelves I'll probably get back into the hobby and this is one of the first I'll seek to complete.

I had a friend in high school that hadn't watched any anime/manga until she met me. I got her hooked with Black Cat and Full Metal Alchemist. Both very great manga.

What anime series do you like? Just read the manga series that they were adapted from. After that, just look into series based on the genres that you enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend to read Tokyo Ghoul. That was my first manga i bought.

The first season's already over. It's amazing and if you love the genre dark, fantasy, horror and splatter , you must have this one.

I know I've already posted here, but decided to leave a recommendation anyway. I generally always recommend this title due to how underrated it is....+Anima. Still one of my favorite manga series and kind of wish it had gotten an anime adaptation.

Here's a synopsis I wrote a couple of years ago.

It deals with being an outcast, similar to the X-Men I guess or even something like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. You know, people fear them or ostracize them because they're "different".

This story stars a 12 or 11-year-old boy named Cooro. He is what you call a +Anima. It tends to affect children most, this condition. Usually, if in a bad or life-threatening situation, children tend to gain the abilities or the spirit of an animal of some sort. For Cooro, he's a crow. He's an interesting character, but...you don't actually get inside his head much or know what he's truly feeling about certain things. He, to me, is a bit of an enigma. If something is bothering him, you'd never know it because he isn't the type to share it and is the type to quickly go on to something else. This is both a positive and negative for his character when you get towards the end of the series. He's also the type that lets people choose their own paths and make up their own minds and never presses matters. He's on a quest to find more +Anima for a reason that's not revealed until later in the story. Cooro is also very open about his +Anima status and doesn't always hide his wings and other "crow" traits. In other words, he's 100% content with being a +Anima and claimed he was "born a +Anima" which is strange since usually, one would obtain it through some kind of traumatic situation which "saved" that person.

Along the way, he meets up with three others. A boy named Husky (he has a fish +Anima). Cooro sees that he was captured and rescued him and they started to travel together. He's a year younger than Cooro and is very serious with a love for jewels. You discover how he became a fish +Anima and how he seems to know a lot about jewels as the series goes on. One thing Husky does hate, though, is being mistaken for a girl because of his feminine looks. He also hates women and girls, probably because he gets mistaken as one so often and for another reason revealed later on which is connected to how he gained his +Anima.

Senri is the next one they meet. He's 16 and is part of a tribe called the Kim-un-kur (sp?) who actually praises +Anima and embraces it if someone becomes one. Roughly based on Native Americans. He has a bear +Anima. The way he got his is very tragic and sad and because of the trauma, he has a very poor memory and doesn't speak very much, but he's super strong and a great cook. You find out more about his story as it goes on. In order for Senri to remember things, he carries around a book and puts pressed flowers into it. It helps to trigger a memory. You find out as the story goes on how he even came to receive that book and how the notion was used to keep things as keepsakes in the book.

The last to join the group is Nana, who is the same age as Husky. These two clash at first because of Husky's dislike of girls and because Nana actually stole Husky's pearl necklace he was keeping (in case they needed money). Nana has a bat +Anima. Her story was a sad one too and the ironic thing about Nana is that she doesn't like the dark, despite her having a bat as a +Anima. Husky has a slight fear of water too, despite having a fish +Anima.

The group is traveling, trying to find a place to call home. In their world, +Anima are discriminated against and in some parts, are kept as slaves. The kids end up doing odd jobs for money from time to time, but occasionally end up in certain situations.

It was said that children do eventually lose their +Anima, when it 's no longer needed for them to "survive".

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...