Loli vs moe anime characters

Optic

So what's the difference between a loli and moe anime character?

Moe characters

I'm not 100% sure but I think both tend to be young characters, though moe characters tend to make you go "Awwhh" a lot more... maybe feelings of a character being innocent and klutzy but youthful with the best of intentions.

yui-hirasawa-k-on.thumb.jpg.491ed421832139bde95b0fd0548d25c0.jpg

Yui Hirasawa from K-ON!!

rikka-takanashi-chuunubyou.thumb.jpg.e43faed502ee345d462513264cff1f6b.jpg

Rikka Takansahi from Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai (maybe?)

Loli characters

Whereas loli characters I tend to think more of being cute too but not quite evoking the same feeling. Just cute, but not enough to make you go "Awwh." Supernatural, fantasy or sci-fi young characters come to mind, though not always the case.

hyperdimension-neptunia-ram-rom.thumb.jpg.6707e427e8d18663dbfe1373048871af.jpg

Ram and Rom from Hyperdimension Neptunia Animation

i-401-iona-arpeggio-blue-steel-ars-nova.thumb.jpg.a53083dbbcd09a87074d0231cde3b834.jpg

Iona (I-401) from Arpeggio of Blue Steel -Ars Nova-

Discuss, and feel free to correct me. ^_^

I think for the most part you are probably right. I don't know anything about Ram and Rom, but Iona was a decent pick for loli. Loli characters tend to be around moe characters quite a bit of the time, and will (almost) always be a junior (I've seen a few exceptions). They can also be a hybrid loli/moe character, and often times are. Also, almost all school anime have a loli in it. Examples:

Azusa from K-On

k-on_op_azusa.jpg

Makina from Grisaia

562850.jpg

Moe characters are probably harder to point out, but I would say alot of it has to do with the drawing style. In that since, moe characters are grouped together quite frequently. There are a few anime that have all moe characters such as K-On, Girls und Panzer, and Non non Biyori.

Hotaru from Non Non Biyori

vlcsnap-00036.png

Miho and Saori from Girls und Panzer

GIRLS.und.PANZER.full.1529938.jpg

• Informative 1

I really like your examples. ^_^

Loli characters tend to be around moe characters quite a bit of the time, and will (almost) always be a junior

Oh yes of course, how could I forget. Not to mention of course the likely usage of senpai and/or onee-chan. xD

Moe characters are fine; but I don't like how some loli characters are unnecessarily sexualized. However; there are always great ones such as Ruri from Martian Successor; and a buttload of good moe characters. So they're fine in my eyes; but they don't make or break a character.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

I personally prefer moe characters to lolis. I know it's not 100% correct, but loli characters tend to be used for lolicon fanservice in series, even if it's unintentional. At least in my brain.

Moe characters are fine; but I don't like how some loli characters are unnecessarily sexualized.

Agree. I also find the whole flat as a board joke to be getting old.

I know it's not 100% correct, but loli characters tend to be used for lolicon fanservice in series, even if it's unintentional.

Would you happen to have any examples out of curiosity?

On another note, I'm currently watching Black Bullet and there are a lot of lolis in this one with extraordinary fighting ability.

Enju Aihara from Black Bullet:

enju-black-bullet.thumb.jpg.569cc19d481422d8064d052f51bbe4bb.jpg

I felt a bit torn though with Enju, she clearly is a loli but there were some heartwarming moments that made me go "Awwh" - or maybe it's just me?

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Geano locked this topic