Tips on learning a new language?

piiachu

Hi guys!

I'm trying to learn French because I need to. 😕 I currently moved to France.

I'm curious, did any of you need to learn another language? If yes, how did you learn it? Can you give some tips ??

Arigatou! Merci!

11 hours ago, piiachu said:

Hi guys!

I'm trying to learn French because I need to. 😕 I currently moved to France.

I'm curious, did any of you need to learn another language? If yes, how did you learn it? Can you give some tips ??

Arigatou! Merci!

well; lets see, i learned a few language

the languages i studied are both english and japanese; but being fair, i didnt really study english -- someone que in a lullaby song, im gonna tell a story~!

sfx: lullaby_song.mp4

so there once was a child, by the name or xii360-kun, he was bad at english, he sat, and pondered how to learn the said language -- and then all of a sudden -- a light came upon his face -- it was that of the TV's light -- it showed many marvelous shows; from anime to kiddy cartoons. all of which whom spoked in english

and cutting from my roleplay act; i learned english from watching tv 24/7 >.> (shows like spongebob, fairy odd parents, jimmy neutron, danny phantom, and the such)

trust me -- i dont really understand what "nouns or pronouns" mean, its just -- i have this wierd gut feeling of how sentence's should be filled out, {i.e how sentences should end, start, and such), so in a way, i didn't really learn the language -- i just understood it, i guess ?

as for japanese; i tried studying it years ago, i found out it was made out of hiragana -- katakana -- and kanji (being the hardest, the madmen actually made over 5000 symbols, (commonly used) while 10000 in total) needless to say, i was determined to study it -- so i wrote the symbols in a piece of paper over and over for atleast a month

and then i memorized all hira/kata symbols; but then came to kanji, and lets just say, i went and told me self "eh, ill learn it when i go to japan, WHEN i go to japan, like how i learned english"

and thats how i forgot all about what i learned on hira/kata ^_^

but i can understand the meaning's when said -- i cant understand every japanese word said -- but same as how i learned english -- i somewhat understood what most japanese words mean -- only commonly used one's though

the main tip's and tricks and life hacks on learning anything -- from my personal experience -- is to be in the "zone", and by "zone" i mean you feel happy and actually want to learn, it applies to anything, not just language, it sure helped me in school get a hella better grade/scores than i usually get; i dont mind linking you the vid my professor gave me -- which helped me understand it -- if you want that is !

so to sum it up with a TLDR; i learned english by watching cartoons, i cant write japanese, but i can understand common saying's of them, and i can also speak our language -- the Ph language ^_^

also; the key to learning anything -- is being happy, and wanting to "learn" new things,

and also repitition, no matter where you go, you will hear that "repitition is the key" saying's

• Agree 1

Haha, Spanish. Had a baseline understanding from middle school, took Latin in highschool (the basis of all the romantic languages), and then completed my understanding by watching a lot of Spanish soap operas over a few months in college in my spare time. Helped me to understand it, but when speaking it I sound very uneducated.

By the way, Granny always has a gun in the Spanish soaps and she's willing to use it! Never discount the old Hispanic lady in a murder investigation lol...

Best of luck to you. My best friend lived in a French speaking country for over 4 years and never learned the language...

I had to study English and French at school, and for some reason had the not so magnificent idea of studying Latin...

English has the advantage that it is the language of the internet - but if you moved to France you'll probably discover French websites, maybe watch some French youtubers, French social medie (Well, the same as everywhere else in the west but with French people >.<). TV, as mentioned by XII360, is a great way to improve your listening skills, even if you at first don't understand much you will eventually start to improve. Reading books is another option. There are books of different language-levels, so you might want to look for the ones fitting for your level. You could ask on reddit (pretty much every country has a subreddit) for easy books for beginner, or other methods of improving your skills. Depending on your age, you could go to a bar, or the likes, and just approach people and talk with them. I don't know how open the French people are in this regard, but the fact that you're foreign and want to learn French gives you  something to talk about and a reason to start a conversation.

3 hours ago, XII360 said:

well; lets see, i learned a few language

the languages i studied are both english and japanese; but being fair, i didnt really study english -- someone que in a lullaby song, im gonna tell a story~!

sfx: lullaby_song.mp4

so there once was a child, by the name or xii360-kun, he was bad at english, he sat, and pondered how to learn the said language -- and then all of a sudden -- a light came upon his face -- it was that of the TV's light -- it showed many marvelous shows; from anime to kiddy cartoons. all of which whom spoked in english

and cutting from my roleplay act; i learned english from watching tv 24/7 >.> (shows like spongebob, fairy odd parents, jimmy neutron, danny phantom, and the such)

trust me -- i dont really understand what "nouns or pronouns" mean, its just -- i have this wierd gut feeling of how sentence's should be filled out, {i.e how sentences should end, start, and such), so in a way, i didn't really learn the language -- i just understood it, i guess ?

as for japanese; i tried studying it years ago, i found out it was made out of hiragana -- katakana -- and kanji (being the hardest, the madmen actually made over 5000 symbols, (commonly used) while 10000 in total) needless to say, i was determined to study it -- so i wrote the symbols in a piece of paper over and over for atleast a month

and then i memorized all hira/kata symbols; but then came to kanji, and lets just say, i went and told me self "eh, ill learn it when i go to japan, WHEN i go to japan, like how i learned english"

and thats how i forgot all about what i learned on hira/kata ^_^

but i can understand the meaning's when said -- i cant understand every japanese word said -- but same as how i learned english -- i somewhat understood what most japanese words mean -- only commonly used one's though

the main tip's and tricks and life hacks on learning anything -- from my personal experience -- is to be in the "zone", and by "zone" i mean you feel happy and actually want to learn, it applies to anything, not just language, it sure helped me in school get a hella better grade/scores than i usually get; i dont mind linking you the vid my professor gave me -- which helped me understand it -- if you want that is !

so to sum it up with a TLDR; i learned english by watching cartoons, i cant write japanese, but i can understand common saying's of them, and i can also speak our language -- the Ph language ^_^

also; the key to learning anything -- is being happy, and wanting to "learn" new things,

and also repitition, no matter where you go, you will hear that "repitition is the key" saying's

Your advices really make sense! I think I really wasn't in the zone when I was learning it here because my studies were in English. I wasn't focused at all, I was making all kinds of reason not to learn it. But back in the Philippines when I had intensive classes of French, I think I was learning way more because I was enjoying it and I stayed motivated. 

I learned Nihongo for 2 years too, but forgot most of them! Haha. I get to practice listening when I watch anime and listen to my Jap friends having conversation. But you're awesome to memorize those characters!!

Thanks so much!

3 hours ago, Beocat said:

Haha, Spanish. Had a baseline understanding from middle school, took Latin in highschool (the basis of all the romantic languages), and then completed my understanding by watching a lot of Spanish soap operas over a few months in college in my spare time. Helped me to understand it, but when speaking it I sound very uneducated.

By the way, Granny always has a gun in the Spanish soaps and she's willing to use it! Never discount the old Hispanic lady in a murder investigation lol...

Best of luck to you. My best friend lived in a French speaking country for over 4 years and never learned the language...

Thank you for your advice! I'll try to watch French movies more. I think because I'm too preoccupied watching subbed anime and j-dramas/k-dramas! 😂

I can totally relate to her! I feel like I've been here for quite some time and didn't really improve which is so ironic! 

1 hour ago, leinwandname said:

I had to study English and French at school, and for some reason had the not so magnificent idea of studying Latin...

English has the advantage that it is the language of the internet - but if you moved to France you'll probably discover French websites, maybe watch some French youtubers, French social medie (Well, the same as everywhere else in the west but with French people >.<). TV, as mentioned by XII360, is a great way to improve your listening skills, even if you at first don't understand much you will eventually start to improve. Reading books is another option. There are books of different language-levels, so you might want to look for the ones fitting for your level. You could ask on reddit (pretty much every country has a subreddit) for easy books for beginner, or other methods of improving your skills. Depending on your age, you could go to a bar, or the likes, and just approach people and talk with them. I don't know how open the French people are in this regard, but the fact that you're foreign and want to learn French gives you  something to talk about and a reason to start a conversation.

I'll try to do these things. I think I have more time now to really immerse here. Parisians are quite reserved but I've seen many events like this Language Exchanges in a bar or social event. 

THank you so much!!!

Edited by piiachu
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

8 hours ago, piiachu said:

Thank you for your advice! I'll try to watch French movies more. I think because I'm too preoccupied watching subbed anime and j-dramas/k-dramas! 😂

I can totally relate to her! I feel like I've been here for quite some time and didn't really improve which is so ironic! 

I'll try to do these things. I think I have more time now to really immerse here. Parisians are quite reserved but I've seen many events like this Language Exchanges in a bar or social event. 

THank you so much!!!

As an afterthought, I feel I should warn you...actually study the names of food items before you do anything else.  I remember seeing Horse on the menu when I visited Germany (prior to going, I had made sure I knew my food groups in German so I stuck to safe things like schnitzel and spaetzle) and I have a feeling they have it on the menu is France too.  If there is anything you don't wish to consume...better figure out what it is called in French before you eat it by accident...  Our tour guide made a joke to some of the other people about having eaten Black Beauty and they were green for days....haha...

1 hour ago, Beocat said:

As an afterthought, I feel I should warn you...actually study the names of food items before you do anything else.  I remember seeing Horse on the menu when I visited Germany (prior to going, I had made sure I knew my food groups in German so I stuck to safe things like schnitzel and spaetzle) and I have a feeling they have it on the menu is France too.  If there is anything you don't wish to consume...better figure out what it is called in French before you eat it by accident...  Our tour guide made a joke to some of the other people about having eaten Black Beauty and they were green for days....haha...

Hahaha, oh my!!!!  That's hilarious!  🤣 We don't want to eat Black Beauty now, do we! We love that horse! 

Let's put that in the to-remember list 🤓