Do you have IRL friends who watch anime?

anime4eva

On 8/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, EvaUnit69 said:

I was the president for the anime club back in high school, and a lot of people from there still talk with me but life catches up to us all and it has been hard getting together to do otaku things. Usually meet a lot of people at cons but not very many actually care to stay in touch tho the few that do I have a lot of fun with doing non-otaku things which is weird. I honestly cannot wait for cons to start running again.

Really? You mind sharing what you guys did for your club? I'm curious how it compares to how my school handled it. I was allowed in the room but not in the club go figure. 🙄

I feel you on the cons too this year was meant to be my 15th in a row but the shutdowns started the week of the event.

On 8/2/2020 at 5:25 PM, spätixD said:

I feel so lonely reading this thread xD I have had one friend who absolutely adored ramance and shojo anime and for me it's just...meh. I'm more an action type. The same is with my sister, she watches anime but only the kind I'm not interested in. So, yeah, I'm basically a lone wolf /:P I often spam my dear non-anime-watcher friends, but they simply get bored and it's obviously not quite as fun as talking to ppl who know what I'm talking about or referring to,, yeah life is tough :P 

@spätixD I feel that. I'm usually the lone wolf in the pack. I watch anime, but not the type anyone else is interested in. Not the type anyone can relate to. Or very few the least.

I don't go spamming those that aren't into the same genre as mine. Everyone has their own preference. 

Having something to be able to relate to can be frustrating and boring at times. Especially during these times. You just have to try to find someone with the same hobbies or similarities to keep you busy.

On 8/2/2020 at 6:36 PM, EvaUnit69 said:

I was the president for the anime club back in high school, and a lot of people from there still talk with me but life catches up to us all and it has been hard getting together to do otaku things. Usually meet a lot of people at cons but not very many actually care to stay in touch tho the few that do I have a lot of fun with doing non-otaku things which is weird. I honestly cannot wait for cons to start running again.

@EvaUnit69 That's so cool! I suggested the same for my school counsel, but it was outvoted. I wish I had the opportunity to go to your school and participate in your Anime Club!

How were the cons? How were the clubs? What was it like? I envy you so much! You were so lucky!

• Friendly 1
  • Funny 1

@Sauron @Argas

Anime club was supervised by our librarian. She said we could do whatever so long as every week I gave her a 1 page analysis on something we were watching and how it related to our issues IRL. It was cool and kinda let me get into anime as more than just a time killer and made me see the genuine talent and effort that goes into making something that can connect with its audience. We never watched anything too ecchi, i think the worst we did was rosario vampire.

Cons were awesome and still are. There is always what i like to call the "flavour of the year", a thing that has been happening that year that kinda colours the whole of the con. A few years ago it was Gangnam style, before that it was sudden aggresive hugs, the free hugs people, the tumblr con pitball being mocked parodied at my local con. It was great fun which is why i miss it so darn much.

6 hours ago, EvaUnit69 said:

Cons were awesome and still are. There is always what i like to call the "flavour of the year", a thing that has been happening that year that kinda colours the whole of the con. A few years ago it was Gangnam style, before that it was sudden aggresive hugs, the free hugs people, the tumblr con pitball being mocked parodied at my local con. It was great fun which is why i miss it so darn much.

sounds similar to the cons I go to. Usually there's a theme and the goers end up doing the random things like the hugs and playing Marco Polo. My highlight is meeting the voice actors though.