efaardvark

Building working Macross fighters in Kerbal Space Program

So there's this guy, "Colonel Cbplayer", who's built actual working mecha fighters based on the Macross franchise using my fav game, Kerbal Space Program.  When I say "working" I mean everything, including flying, fighting, and transforming.  (Sometimes all at once!)  He's even got a video on his youtube channel of the YF19 and YF21 fighting.  Pretty insane, especially considering that the base game doesn't have weapons, or even real hinges.

I'd love to try this myself, but with the old GPU and FX processor in my system I'd be lucky if I got single-digit frame rates.  :D Not that I have the time for it anyway I guess.

This post instigated by a recent Kotaku article...

https://kotaku.com/kerbal-space-program-can-do-transforming-macross-fighte-1831242407

His youtube channel is here:

• Like 1

This is pretty damn awesome if I do say so. I have always liked games where you can build this sort of thing. Robotics in particular holds a strong interest for me here.

Impressive what you can achieve with sufficient programming skills and dedication. Thanks for sharing.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By efaardvark
      If you haven't already, go watch Dennou Coil, aka Cyber Coil.  It is kind of a fun sci fi about a bunch of kids and the fun they get into while wearing augmented reality glasses.
      In the real world we're not quite there, yet.  Augmented reality in the real world is bounded by things like Pokemon Go and StarChart on smartphones, and Microsoft's HoloLens is still pretty bulky and expensive.  Nowhere near the nearly-invisible glasses they wear in Dennou Coil.  If you've never seen MSFT's 2015 E3 Hololens minecraft demo you should.  Microsoft obviously wants us to go there.  They've just announced their Minecraft Earth app (below), which to me looks like a portal, both in a marketing sense and a gaming sense.  Clearly - to me anyway - the plan is to get people using the app to build content and attach it to the real world so that when things like Hololens get cheap enough there will already be a rich environment to work with.

Trailer Dennou Coil (Spring 2007)
      G 26 episodes 25 minutes TV Details
      Rating 8.1/31K Source Original First Episode May 12, 2007 Last Episode Dec 1, 2007 Status Finished Airing Studio Madhouse Genres Adventure Comedy (and 3 more) Tagged with:
      Adventure Comedy Drama Mystery Sci - fi Cast
      Houko Kuwashima Yuuko Amasawa Romi Park Kenichi Harakawa Fumiko Orikasa Yuuko Okonogi
      Crew
      Mitsuo Iso Director Storyboard Key Animation Creator Tadashi Hiramatsu Episode Director Storyboard Kazuya Nomura Episode Director Storyboard Key Animation Eleven years after the introduction of internet-connected, augmented reality eyeglasses and visors, Yuuko Okonogi moves with her family to Daikoku City, the technological center of the emerging half-virtual world. Yuuko joins her grandmother's "investigation agency" comprised of children equipped with virtual tools and powerful metatags. She quickly crosses paths with Yuuko Amasawa, an expert hacker of the virtual environment, as Amasawa relentlessly seeks to "unlock" the mystery of a computer virus that emerges from an inaccessible corrupted space. written by myanimelist.net 401 #977 popularity 105K members 1K favorites Updated All Names English Den-noh Coil Original 電脳コイル Other Names Cyber Coil, Coil - A Circle of Children, Denno Coil Go to Page Videos Photos Episodes Characters Crew and
      Minecraft Earth,

• By efaardvark
      You know, one of the most intriguing things for me - from a Game Master perspective - about the NerveGear in Sword Art Online was that it could read the mental state of the wearer and communicate that back to the game engine.  Not talking about just the obvious physical I/O here, but the player's emotional state as well.  Imagine giving a save throw modifier based on how emotionally invested the player is in some aspect of the "game".  In one episode of the SAO anime's "Aincrad" arc for instance there's a swordsmith character who really, really wants to make a great sword for a specific special customer.  Imagine the game engine being able to distinguish that mental state from one where the same smith is just building inventory to sell.  Imagine the game being able to tell that the player is aware that they absolutely positively need to make this next bow shot or sword blow count.  The Kayaba Akihiko in me could sure find ways to use that information to ah, enhance my players' game experience.  Give me a few minutes and I could probably come up with a whole class of magic/psi use dependent on the emotional state of the individuals wielding it for its effects.  Or how about a Nerve Gear version of something like Soul Eater?  Offhand I can think of several animes where this sort of technology could be put to good(?) use in the game version.
      Of course the other side of that same coin is the one exploited by Sugou Nobuyuki (aka "Oberon") in the Alfheim arc to brainwash and control people.  Fortunately things haven't gone that far in real life.  There we (so far) only have to be concerned with the technology being harnessed to do things like maximize micropayment profits...
      https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/valve-software-dreams-of-analyzing-your-brainwaves-to-tailor-in-game-rewards/
    • By efaardvark
      Blizzard has apparently (re)released the original, 1996 version of Diablo.  Via GOG of all places.  For anyone not familiar with GOG (Good Old Games), they're a place to (legally) purchase unrestricted games.  None of the games on GOG have DRM or require "activation" or online connection to a mothership or any of that sort of nonsense to play.  You buy it, you download it, and you play it.  "You bought it, you own it" is their motto.  Anyone who's familiar with Blizzard, on the other hand, knows they don't do non-DRM.  (Diablo is, currently, the only Blizzard title on GOG.)  Ok, so 1996 was a while ago.  This is no doubt a last-gasp attempt to get some money from the title.  Still, to me it seems quite odd to see a Blizzard title on GOG..

https://www.gog.com/game/diablo
      (also https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/original-diablo-is-now-on-sale-for-10-drm-free-but-not-on-blizzards-app/ )

• By BleachKing96
      Not really an extremely impressive piece of art but I made this when I was planning the site I wanted to make and I don't know why but I'm so proud of it so there it is 😂

• By AmandaxCod
      share your best PewDiePie meme of 2018
Anime Forums is where fans from around the world can gather to discuss anime and Japanese culture!  All anime fans are welcome. Take a moment to join us now!