Jump to content
Vivi Hyuuga

Lighthearted Shōjo

Recommended Posts

I go through phases of wanting to watch something darker such as Tokyo Ghoul or Attack on Titan and wanting to watch a fun and lighthearted shoujo. I'm currently reading the Tokyo Ghoul manga so I wanted a fun anime to watch, so I'm rewatching Engaged to the Unidentified. Mashiro, Hakuya, and Kobeni are just too precious! 

Some of my other favorite shoujo are Yona of The Dawn, Special A, Snow White with the Red Hair, Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun, From Me to You, and Ouran Host Club. There are many others, but I'll try not to leave 20+ long lists of favorites here. ;) 

What are some of your favorite light and fun shoujo? 

2017-11-13 (4).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bodacious Space Pirates and Petite Princess Yucie.  Yucie gets just a little bit dark at the end, but the overall story focuses on the relationships she builds with everyone. 

 

I too was watching Engaged to the Unidentified this past week and I wish they had made a second season.  I feel like I'm left hanging now!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Bodacious Space Pirates and Petite Princess Yucie.  Yucie gets just a little bit dark at the end, but the overall story focuses on the relationships she builds with everyone. 

 

I too was watching Engaged to the Unidentified this past week and I wish they had made a second season.  I feel like I'm left hanging now!

I'll have to look into those, I haven't seen them! Petite Princess Yucie sounds good, I love it when they focus on friendships! 

I know, right?! I really wish it had another season. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but Hanayamata is another one. Loved it and it's in the 12-13 episode range (which the other 2 are not). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Beocat said:

Not sure why I didn't think of this earlier, but Hanayamata is another one. Loved it and it's in the 12-13 episode range (which the other 2 are not). 

Just looked that one up, it looks cute, too! I'll have to try it out ^_^

A couple others I have enjoyed are Toradora and Blue Spring Ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have to say Aishiteruze Baby★★. It manages to be light-hearted while also dealing with a lot of more serious issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mars Terra said:

I would have to say Aishiteruze Baby★★. It manages to be light-hearted while also dealing with a lot of more serious issues.

That one sounds really sweet, and I hadn't heard of it! I love it when an anime can balance between being lighthearted while still dealing with serious issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Vivi Hyuuga said:

That one sounds really sweet, and I hadn't heard of it! I love it when an anime can balance between being lighthearted while still dealing with serious issues.

I guess it's not widely known, I only happened to come across it years ago, and only more recently have I finished it. One thing I like about it is that the characters all have reasons for what they do and it is done excellently in this series.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished Is The Order a Rabbit recommended to me by @Yamasan! So kawaii, so much moe! It got better with each episode and it left me feeling so happy, but also sad now that it is over. I only have the time for a couple more episodes of anime tonight, so I think I'll start something else that's not too heavy, probably Aishiteruze Baby★★ recommended by @Mars Terra .

rabbit1-noscale.jpg

  • Cute (Kawaii) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if it falls under the light-hearted label, but I recently finished watching Chihayafuru. It has some humour, some light romance, but it's mostly just a high school club/competition show (like Haikyuu!! but with karuta instead of volleyball). It was a really wonderful watch, I enjoyed it quite a bit (and then promptly proceeded to read the entire manga, which is still ongoing). 

I wrote a review on MAL, if anyone's interested: https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=263102

Not sure how people on this board feel about dubs, but I usually default to dubs myself (still love watching shows subbed when a dub isn't available). I thought the dub did a great job for this show, which is based heavily around Japanese language and poetry. Karuta is basically a linguistic game, and it couldn't have been easy to write it well in English. I was impressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, elrond99 said:

Not sure if it falls under the light-hearted label, but I recently finished watching Chihayafuru. It has some humour, some light romance, but it's mostly just a high school club/competition show (like Haikyuu!! but with karuta instead of volleyball). It was a really wonderful watch, I enjoyed it quite a bit (and then promptly proceeded to read the entire manga, which is still ongoing). 

I wrote a review on MAL, if anyone's interested: https://myanimelist.net/reviews.php?id=263102

Not sure how people on this board feel about dubs, but I usually default to dubs myself (still love watching shows subbed when a dub isn't available). I thought the dub did a great job for this show, which is based heavily around Japanese language and poetry. Karuta is basically a linguistic game, and it couldn't have been easy to write it well in English. I was impressed.

That series sounds really cool, I'll have to try it! 

Regarding sub vs dub I prefer sub, but I will watch dub if it's a good one. For instance, I have Fairy Tail and My Hero Academia on DVDs, and I like both of their dubs. If I want to do my computer while I rewatch them I'll watch dub, but if I just want to sit and watch I will watch sub. Dubs are easier for my sisters, so if there is a dub and I'm watching with them we'll usually watch that. Two of my favorite anime have dubs I can't stand, Attack on Titan and Yona of the Dawn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chihayafuru probably works better in the original Japanese anyway. The subject matter, Karuta, is very language-oriented. That’s just why I was impressed by the dub, it could have been a disaster, but they chose to still use a lot of Japanese language mixed in with the English. It works quite well.

Also, not really light-hearted at all, but my favorite shojo/josei is definitely Nana. Amazing show. I’m reading the manga right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2017 at 12:53 AM, Vivi Hyuuga said:

I just finished Is The Order a Rabbit recommended to me by @Yamasan! So kawaii, so much moe! It got better with each episode and it left me feeling so happy, but also sad now that it is over.

I'm jelly, was that both seasons? My backlog on these older series has gotten out of hand, so I can't start anything new as far as those are concerned. :-/ But if you liked that title you should also check out Ichigo Mashimaro since it has a similar concept of cute lolis doing cute things in cute ways.

On 11/19/2017 at 12:53 AM, Vivi Hyuuga said:

I only have the time for a couple more episodes of anime tonight, so I think I'll start something else that's not too heavy, probably Aishiteruze Baby★★ recommended by @Mars Terra .

If you do, let me know what you think.

Edited by Mars Terra

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×