Weathering with You

Vivi Hyuuga

I'm a rather big fan of Mokoto Shinkai, the creator of my all-time favorite movie, Your Name. He has also created Garden of Words, 5 Centimeters Per Second, Crossroad, Someone's Gaze, Voices of a Distant Star, and more. Apparently, he even wrote the script for the series Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day! Well, on July 19th, Shinkai-sensei's newest movie is releasing in Japan, and it will even have showings in North America, Europe, Asia, and South Asia, according to Anime News Network. 

In the film's story, high school student Hodaka leaves his home on an isolated island and moves to Tokyo, but he immediately becomes broke. He lives his days in isolation, but finally finds a job as a writer for a shady occult magazine. After he starts his job, the weather has been rainy day after day. In a corner of the crowded and busy city, Hodaka meets a young woman named Hina. Due to certain circumstances, Hina and her younger brother live together, but have a cheerful and sturdy life. Hina also has a certain power: the power to stop the rain and clear the sky.

I can hardly wait, especially as my favorite RADWIMPS, who did the soundtrack for Your Name, is doing the soundtrack for this movie, as well. Anyone else excited?

1284319895_giphy(4).gif.3e856dd86caeb3cc8f0effa6c4b2d0fa.gif

• Like 1

Anohana was a very enjoyable show, though I never finished it (I think it was slowly airing when I was watching it and I just dropped off). I like series like this with character depth. That seems to be a strong suit of the author, so It’s great to know he is still going strong. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Seshi said:

Anohana was a very enjoyable show, though I never finished it (I think it was slowly airing when I was watching it and I just dropped off). I like series like this with character depth. That seems to be a strong suit of the author, so It’s great to know he is still going strong. 

Oh my goodness, you must finish Anohana! You really need to see the ending. And yes, Shinkai-sensei excels when it comes to writing and portraying character depth.

• Agree 1

I was wondering when his next movie would come out. Definitely going to watch it if I ever get the chance. From the trailer I suspect that it will be as great as his other movies ("exited" is an understatement 😂).

I honestly think that Shinkai created anime on a completely new level. It is comparable, but in a very different way, from what Miyazaki/Ghibli did. I couldn't even compare Shinkai's works to most other anime.
Since I've studied some literature/literary theory and enjoy symbolism on many levels, I thoroughly enjoy most of Shinkai's movies (which coincidentally is also one of the reasons why I think Naruto is one of the greatest anime but that's another story). They are the types of movies which you can, or have to, watch multiple times to actually get everything. If you are just looking for action you'll find it boring, but if you want something that really makes you think, these movies are the way to go.

I would even go so far as to say that they are comparable to great works in the literary canon. The only thing is that I don't know Japanese and suspect that I'm missing a lot that is encoded via language in the movies.

Edited by Illusion of Terra
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 2

40 minutes ago, Illusion of Terra said:

I was wondering when his next movie would come out. Definitely going to watch it if I ever get the chance. From the trailer I suspect that it will be as great as his other movies ("exited" is an understatement 😂).

I honestly think that Shinkai created anime on a completely new level. It is comparable, but in a very different way, from what Miyazaki/Ghibli did. I couldn't even compare Shinkai's works to most other anime.
Since I've studied some literature/literary theory and enjoy symbolism on many levels, I thoroughly enjoy most of Shinkai's movies (which coincidentally is also one of the reasons why I think Naruto is one of the greatest anime but that's another story). They are the types of movies which you can, or have to, watch multiple times to actually get everything. If you are just looking for action you'll find it boring, but if you want something that really makes you think, these movies are the way to go.

I would even go so far as to say that they are comparable to great works in the literary canon. The only thing is that I don't know Japanese and suspect that I'm missing a lot that is encoded via language in the movies.

I love that you really seem to appreciate his work on a deep level, as well! I agree, that his work seems to belong in the great works of fiction. He truly crafts masterful stories that are deep, intricate, and as you said, have to be watched many times in order to fully appreciate. I've watched Your Name at least fifty times, and I still find new things to appreciate about it every time I watch it.

• Like 1
  • Love it! (Daisuki) 1

• 2 months later...

I am in love with the rain scenes, while a few sun rays trickle through the clouds. Garden of the Words was a masterpiece with the rain theme but this is going to top it even more.

I shouldn't expect anything less from Makoto Shinkai, his movies reflect thoughts, emotions and life circumstances in a more relateable and realistic way. 

This is the english version of the new trailer, if you are interested.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Muco said:

This is the english version of the new trailer, if you are interested.

Yes, yes I am :) Seems like another really great one from Shinkai. Darn him, it really seems he has done it again. If I am as impressed as with the others, I'll go and show it to my former literary studies professor and see what her take is. Anyway, don't know when I'll get the chance to watch it.

I'm also wondering if and when a dubbed version will be released.

• Like 1