Airline Experiences

Optic

I have been fortunate in avoiding flight disasters and delays throughout my travels. Here are my experiences below:

Jetstar

156185-jetstar.jpg.49681a1673b64b901596141683b5077e.jpg

5/10: Budget Australian domestic airline which I used for travelling to Melbourne back in 2010. Naturally no meals/snacks onboard. Noisy aircraft, snacks and beverages moderately priced. No in-flight entertainment. Bought a packet of M&M chocolates for $3 and a cup of tea for $2 onboard. Flight attendants provided adequate service.

Singapore Airlines

article-1367638-0B49D7E900000578-191_634x356.jpg.2221b89507c06b40e5c9ca84f559178d.jpg

8/10: It has been a LONG time since I visited Singapore. Last time I visited was back in 2004, I do remember the flight attendants were very friendly and the meals were good. In-flight entertainment screens at the time were great. This airline is highly rated throughout the world.

AirAsia and Cathay Pacific

420-Cathay-Pacific-747.jpg.c4ff413c12c4a17368ce6b87e84cd5a0.jpg

658260.jpg.fa67a8502a41ba716509ba46a25c14ca.jpg

7/10: We used these two airlines for our China Holiday in 2008. AirAsia was used for our domestic flights such as Xi'An, Beijing and Hong Kong. Cathay Pacific we used for our intercontinental flights from and to Australia. No complaints, AirAsia had limited entertainment and light snacks. Cathay Pacific had good service and meals. My only minor criticism with AirAsia is the level of English in their announcements, their accent was so thick I could not understand it at all! Their Mandarin of course was fine.

Malaysia Airlines and KLM

mas.jpg.16bd8a55f25ff703f336243fd97999ee.jpg

klm.jpg.db6a5650021b2a1650f64c2f322ff83b.jpg

9/10: My recent Europe holiday was booked through KLM. KLM don't fly to Australia so they have an alliance with Malaysia Airlines to do the trip from there to Kuala Lumpur -> Amsterdam. I've flown a few times on Malaysia Airlines and think they have the best inflight entertainment service and meals. Every flavour of Asia movies is there: Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Hindu, Malaysian... and of course mainstream Western movies. Meals are really good, I enjoyed their lamb and chicken hot meals. Start of flight snacks are tasty peanuts! The only thing is it's rare to see the flight attendants smiling...

KLM's inflight entertainment was just as good. Of course the selection is very different, you had more Western mainstream movies and they even had Dutch films too with subtitles! From Kuala Lumpur to Amsterdam it is 11 hours, so for such a long trip you really want it as comfortable as possible within Economy. KLM impressed me with their service, always smiling and courteous and nice meals too with LOTS and LOTS of bread rolls. Start of flight snacks were cashews!

How about you? Have any memorable experiences with airlines, good or bad? Discuss!

I took Singapore Airlines while coming back to Malaysia from the UK. The Chinese air steward talked to me in a heavy Singlish slang that I automatically turned into using Singlish as well lol. and I find it very much like home, which is a good feeling.

I normally take AirAsia whenever and wherever I fly within Malaysia. Malaysia Airlines is just too expensive, and for the standards of their service and food? Nah, I'd prefer to pay more for those in AirAsia. :D

I've only travelled with KLM because my family only wants to travel with KLM if it is possible. I can understand why, the service is amazing and everything always goes as planned. You can ask for anything and the staff on board will help you with it. They talk Dutch, English, German and French so that is very useful. You get enough food and the entertainment is good. I really enjoy flying with this airline. I find it amusing that on the back of the tail of the airplane it says "The Flying Dutchmen" so I guess Davy Johnnes is always there. ;D

• 1 year later...

Bumping this topic!

I went to Japan last year via Singapore Airlines and just thought I'd mention that if you're transiting through Changi Airport via Singapore Airlines they will give you $40SGD in vouchers called "Changi dollars" which is pretty cool. Almost all the shops there will accept it, including the food places which is great. :D

I usuallly go with cheap airlines (so there's no free food ;p), but for a short flight they're just fine (EasyJet/Wizz Air). Last year when I went to Istanbul I was flying with Turkish Airlines (the food was delicious and the stewards were really nice (I asked for a cacao and one of them said they don't have it but an hour later he brought it to me, saying he found something like cacao :Đ)). I think I was flying with Air Iceland to America a few years ago and they were pretty cheap as well but I don't remember the service or anything at all :x And I had a few flights in America but I don't remember the airlines' names. I just know they had really delicious lemonade!

In Slovenia we have Adria Airways and they're really expensive. I flew with them just once, because I won in a contest and the country paid for my flight to London. When I later got the bill (just so that I can see how much money they spent on me :P), the flight costed around 1000eur. For two hours of flying (with EasyJet you can get a ticket for 50eur (for flying there and back)). But the service was still nice :P The only good thing with Adria Airways is that they are probably the only one here that have connected flights :P (When I went to America I went from Ljubljana to London, from London to Reykjavik and than finally to New York (and you have to wait a few hours on every airport).

I wish we would have these "free miles/points" here too :P

Can't really bring too much input into this thread since I haven't traveled much but when I went to Sydney in November I went with Virgin. It was fine, nothing went wrong :) on the way up, there were no TVs or entertainment but on the way back there was.

^ That's probably because the flight isn't too long. Maybe an hour? When I go to London, most of the time I went the tv's were turned off because it's only an hour away. Just so you know =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well. My recent experience with Cathay pacific and dragon air has some interesting review.

I took a Cathay flight all the way to Hong Kong international airport. Sat on economy and didn't expect much. Seats were all cramped together with little leg space. Small pillow given were mostly worn out but blanket was alright. Service were well, alright. Breakfast was omelette with sausage and potato croquet with fruits and yogurt and apple juice.

The transit flight was from Hong Kong international airport to Kaoshiung airport in Taiwan. The airline name made me feel that it was gonna be worse than the Cathay flight. Especially when the flight was later delayed for 2hours. But turns out, the economy class had more leg space than the previous flight. Has a power outlet in front of you. And the in flight entertainment has games and more music and shows compared to the previous flight were you can only choose a couple of movies and songs to hear. Not forgetting that the air stewardess were more cute in this flight.

• Like 1

Especially when the flight was later delayed for 2hours.

So you got delayed in Hong Kong International airport? Were you able to keep yourself occupied with the amenities there? :P From memory their Airport was pretty good with the shopping.

Not forgetting that the air stewardess were more cute in this flight.

Oooh interesting... and this was on the Dragon Air flight? ;)

I must admit I feel the uniform has the biggest impact between airlines whilst in the cabin. It seems Cathay Pacific and Dragon Air both have red uniforms for the stewardesses, with a more serious business look. Compared to Malaysia and Singapore Airlines I find their uniforms to be more "homely."

I need advise guys! I'm booking a trip for this summer but I find it difficult to pick a different Airline than KLM o_O I just feel really safe sticking with KLM but it's very expensive xD

You should list what countries you plan to visit so we can get an idea of routes and airlines to suggest. :)

You should list what countries you plan to visit so we can get an idea of routes and airlines to suggest. :)

I'm thinking about China this summer, it's actually not that expensive =O

I'm thinking about China this summer, it's actually not that expensive =O

I don't like summer in China, its even hotter than Florida..but their popsicles are good.my favorite brands are called: 冰工厂 and 冰+.

I don't like summer in China, its even hotter than Florida..but their popsicles are good.my favorite brands are called: 冰工厂 and 冰+.

@katyC do you have any photos of China from your trips? I'm really curious what it looks like outside winter because...

... I went to China during winter for a family holiday. I would not recommend Winter, skies were not clear and it was very very cold to the point of snow but @NightDancer is probably very used to her European winters. xD

A few random photos I dug out from my old trip to give you an idea @NightDancer... :

P1000621.jpg.59784ea20537b5613f65f2b0e67066ea.jpg

Great Wall:

P1000813.jpg.1f230ccbd992d2e1f3935df096a64e05.jpg

Funny English translation sign in Beijing Zoo xD :

P1000913.jpg.d104ef8ccdc2b876625605eb85d891bf.jpg

Pandas in Beijing Zoo: ^__^

P1000919.jpg.721e28cb4fed59bc3db2348ff142e362.jpg

P1000926.thumb.jpg.c625afefd51abe08998bf6cdb30ae534.jpg

P1020224.jpg.4c52717d298774be78d7cbfb1c235326.jpg

P1200137.thumb.jpg.c233bca023ea6738d920264a1aa470df.jpg

Also if you ever go on a River Cruise you'll likely be peddled by sellers (window service)...

P1020131.jpg.a1165ec11baf2546282cf9f5f9412cc8.jpg

@katyC do you have any photos of China from your trips? I'm really curious what it looks like outside winter because...

... I went to China during winter for a family holiday. I would not recommend Winter, skies were not clear and it was very very cold to the point of snow but @NightDancer is probably very used to her European winters. xD

A few random photos I dug out from my old trip to give you an idea @NightDancer... :

[ATTACH=full]151[/ATTACH]

Great Wall:

[ATTACH=full]152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]153[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]159[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]160[/ATTACH]

Also if you ever go on a River Cruise you'll likely be peddled by sellers (window service)...

[ATTACH=full]156[/ATTACH]

:(:(:(Sadly When i went to China…I’m not on a tour but to live with those mean relatives in a small poor town called Fengyang.== so I don’t have any pictures of summer tourist spots. I went to Beijing a lot of times but i never been to any tourist spots :(~~~not even the imperial palace or the great wall~~~:(:(:(:(

Flown with Royal Brunei Airlines a good 8+ times ( connecting flights :P ), very interesting pamphlets which I distinctly remember hadn't changed from 2005 to 2009. There was entertainment, relatively comfortable seats, not bad food if you sat at the front and always a chance to lie down across 3 chairs at the back of the plane.

[ATTACH=full]151[/ATTACH]

Great Wall:

[ATTACH=full]152[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]153[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]154[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]159[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]157[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]160[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]156[/ATTACH]

AWWW Those panda's!!! <333

Yeah I am very used to winter weather xD

But any good airlines I should try? =)