Why are Tsunderes so popular?

Manifesto

I've seen a lot of romance anime and manga, and always have wondered what people find so appealing about tsunderes. What's so great about an annoying brat treating you like trash all the time? Like in Toradora

why does the MC even like taiga? All she ever does is insult him, hit him, and take advantage of his kindness.

I could never imagine wanting to be in that kind of relationship, where the girl is constantly bitchy towards me. Right now I'm reading the manga suzuka and damn suzuka treats the MC like he's her bitch. And all he ever does is think he did something wrong and try to apologize. The side girls are usually the quiet, nice, and caring ones that don't do anything but help the mc. But they always get trashed and pushed to the side. And I don't really understand that. So this means the majority of people would rather be with a bitchy, annoying brat that only ever complains and just so happens to show some affection sometimes rather than the nice and caring girl that does it 24/7. It even seems slightly masochist to me, if your willing to take that kind of constant abuse. And MCs need to man up and stop being girls' bitches.

• Like 1

If you wan't to see a MC being treated like a real b!tch then read

[spoiler=NSFW]

Sundome [FLOAT_RIGHT]1477.jpg.7084037a8cae382a40392ce3dcd4501b.jpg [/FLOAT_RIGHT]

As for the popularity of Tsundere I think that's because it generates a lot of comedy and it can also be used by the writers to create situations (mostly misunderstandings) where we can learn more about the characters.Also Tsundere characters can be cast in many different situations and still make sense , you can't exactly throw a Yandere type into a slice of life without it having an effect on the whole anime (not a 100% but you get what I'm trying to say right?).

I honestly don't know why people like Tsuderes so much. Personally, I like any character as long as they are well made. However, Tsuderes are generally shallow and unlikable characters that get on my nerves quite a bit.

Examples of bad Tsuderes (Should have been made better or have a different archetype)

Chitoge (Nisekoi)

Misaki (Kaichou wa Maid-sama)

Mikoto (Toaru Majutsu no Index)

Rin (Fate/Stay Night)

Good Tsundere Characters

Kurisu (Steins;Gate)

Taiga (Toradora)

Holo (Ookami to Koushinryou)

Hikari (Special A)

If anything, I would say that Tsuderes have the highest chance of turning into a forgettable bland character, but at the same time, has one of the highest chances of turning out to be one of the most popular characters in the show due to their strong personality.

I've always heard this term but never knew what it was or meant. So...would Helga from Hey Arnold fall into this category? She's mean to Arnold, but actually likes him.

I've always heard this term but never knew what it was or meant. So...would Helga from Hey Arnold fall into this category? She's mean to Arnold, but actually likes him.

Don't know anything about that show, but yes, having a character act the opposite of what they feel is essentially what a Tsundere is.

Don't know anything about that show, but yes, having a character act the opposite of what they feel is essentially what a Tsundere is.

Oh ok, got it.

You've never seen Hey Arnold? It's not a Japanese-animated show, but thought maybe some here may have seen or heard of it.

Helga is actually a popular character I think amongst HA fans, but I guess it's due to the fact that her character was so complex and had a negligent family. It's implied that her mother suffers from depression and is an alcoholic (always drinking "smoothies" and sleeping lol) and her father is very self absorbed. Her older sister is also usually wrapped in her own world, while always trying to be perfect. So yeah, a real dysfunctional family.

A Tsundere is a person who has feelings for someone but gets easily upset with that person and overreacts to things that the person they care about does , often this is because they get embarrassed or because the person does something to upset them (ie: doing something dangerous will result in the Tsundere calling the character a baka and then crying and saying that they don't want to loose them)

And yes Helga would fit , I still find Arnolds head terrifying , why is it the shape of a foot ball (american) why???

Examples of bad Tsuderes (Should have been made better or have a different archetype)

Chitoge (Nisekoi)

Misaki (Kaichou wa Maid-sama)

Mikoto (Toaru Majutsu no Index)

Rin (Fate/Stay Night)

I cant agree with you on Misaki I think her character was done well but I think that because the series was dragged out a little too much it might have an effect on how people view her.

If anything, I would say that Tsuderes have the highest chance of turning into a forgettable bland character, but at the same time, has one of the highest chances of turning out to be one of the most popular characters in the show due to their strong personality.

Very true the Tsundere character has become too common and has been over used and unless their made exceptionally well they become the stereotypical Tsundere that no one likes.

Personally I think Tsunderes are overrated. When I first learned of them I was like "wow! This is such in interesting character type" But then I started seeing more anime than I used to and I was like "...every single show has a Tsundere!". I mean, what makes a Tsundere special if everyone does it? I know the reason behind why writers use them a lot, but they lose their value since they are used everywhere.

Can a male character be a tsundere? I was just thinking about Heiji from Detective Conan. He likes Kazuha, his childhood friend. He sometimes says foolish things if on the spot to pretend he doesn't romantically like her when it's obvious he does.

Can a male character be a tsundere? I was just thinking about Heiji from Detective Conan. He likes Kazuha, his childhood friend. He sometimes says foolish things if on the spot to pretend he doesn't romantically like her when it's obvious he does.

Yes guys can be tsundere , it just usually happens the other way around.

What's so great about an annoying brat treating you like trash all the time?

I like tsundere characters because it's interesting trying to figure out why they are so angry in the first place. Usually it's due to something that happened in the past which eventually gets revealed. It gets engaging waiting for them to show their nicer side OR see them break down and reconsider their aggressive stance due to a specific event (usually related to the MC).

One of my favourite and most iconic tsundere characters in my opinion is Asuka Langley Soryu from the Neon Genesis Evangelion series. She treats Shinji and many others around her like absolute trash but open up occasionally to Shinji as the TV series progresses.

Asuka_Langley_Soryu_Render.thumb.png.09ec665b65a49c2fe0bdc32deb556447.png

I like tsundere characters because it's interesting trying to figure out why they are so angry in the first place. Usually it's due to something that happened in the past which eventually gets revealed. It gets engaging waiting for them to show their nicer side OR see them break down and reconsider their aggressive stance due to a specific event (usually related to the MC).

One of my favourite and most iconic tsundere characters in my opinion is Asuka Langley Soryu from the Neon Genesis Evangelion series. She treats Shinji and many others around her like absolute trash but open up occasionally to Shinji as the TV series progresses.

[ATTACH]19364[/ATTACH]

I never thought about it that way. That probably explains why so many people are fans of Helga from Hey Arnold. She's rude to pretty much everyone around her. Her classmates and even her best friend at times (with her she's a bit bossy towards her). It all stems back to her home life and how screwed up it is. Ironically, they did actually do an entire episode about Helga. The school made the students go to a counselor and the counselor was concerned about Helga and asked to do a session with her. We learn why she first became mean to those around her, how her crush on Arnold first started, and why she started being mean to him when they apparently started off on friendly terms.

Shot in the dark here but are you a Hey Arnold! fan :P
Surprisingly, no, I'm not. It's a 90s Nicktoon, though and I did grow up with it, but given my age at the time when it came out (early teens), I didn't watch it as much as say my younger cousins. Never seen all the eps. Got bored of the mean Helga thing after about two seasons, but I did catch an ep occasionally during its original run after the first two seasons, like the ep with Helga and the psychologist I mentioned and the observations about her negligent family and implied alcoholic/manic depressive mother was present from the first season. Of course it wasn't outright stated since it was a kid's show, but it was heavily implied.

Anyway, whenever people talk about the show, seems Helga is generally praised and liked by fans of it. I couldn't help but think of her character with how you guys were describing "tsundere". She even fights with other kids at times (well, Harold anyway) and always punches Brainy in the nose...but, that's an onrunning gag with him. He'll just sometimes appear behind Helga and breathe nasally and she'll punch him. That psychologist ep I mentioned, after the visit, Helga felt better and Brainy showed up and Helga was like, "I won't hit you today" or something like that and Brainy couldn't handle that and punched himself in the face. I think HE needs the shrink. lol

I see , well I'm sure you're noticing them more and more now (lol) and Hey Arnold aired here on a childrens daytime network when I was younger so that's where I watched that , along with Tokyo Mew but it was called Mew Mew (power) here.

I see , well I'm sure you're noticing them more and more now (lol) and Hey Arnold aired here on a childrens daytime network when I was younger so that's where I watched that , along with Tokyo Mew but it was called Mew Mew (power) here.
Maybe some day, I'll go back to watching it. I haven't since it originally aired. Like I said, after like the first couple of seasons, I gradually just stopped watching it. I can't recall if it started in 1995 or 1996, though. In general, I wasn't watching Nickelodeon as much as the format started changing for the network round about the mid 90s, imo.

I guess if I watched the show now, I probably would notice something more, watching it as an adult as opposed to a teen.

I guess if I watched the show now, I probably would notice something more, watching it as an adult as opposed to a teen.

Too true often when I look at the cartoons I used to watch when I was younger I get freaked out because I notice things that I wouldn't have as a kid.

Kinda like "@_@I used to laugh at this?".

Too true often when I look at the cartoons I used to watch when I was younger I get freaked out because I notice things that I wouldn't have as a kid.

Kinda like "@_@I used to laugh at this?".

I've gotten that way too, but not as much as I do when it comes to some of the humor, so I end up thinking, "This actually got past the censors?" Like...Animaniacs. Some of the jokes used on that show went over my head as a kid. Going back to it as an adult, I scratch my head over some of them, like the Madonna Truth or Dare thing or that "finger prints" joke. Forget that first joke, that latter one is still amazing. Still would LOVE to know how that got past the censors.

• 1 month later...

I think Tsunderes are popular because I lot of people thinks they look cute when they would act cold towards the people they love. And because I believe that a huge percentage in us humans are tsunderes. We tend to act cold towards people we love to protect ourselves from showing how we really feel.. And those Yanderes and all those other types of deres aren't so popular in people who don't love watching animes. :)

The reason I love tsunderes more than the boring ol' moe is because I feel that there's a certain kind of vulnerability that comes with putting up an act, an insecurity that makes me want to just tell them, "Hey, it's cool. I like you the way you are. No need to get all defensive."

Of course, that statement's probably contradictory, as being defensive is their inherent nature, so why tell them not to be defensive, right? But I think it is that defensive nature, that sense of insecurity that I could relate a lot with, being pretty insecure myself. I think that's the biggest reason why I personally like tsunderes a lot, because I relate with their vulnerable humanity.

• Geano locked this topic