Studio Ghibli Discussion/Collection Thread

RepentantSky

This is my Collection. Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't seen a lot of talk about these films. Since I've started watching them again for the first time in a few years, I wanted to talked about this wonderful studio's, amazing films. I've seen all of them at least twice, most of them at least 6 times, and some of them, over two dozen. I've watched all the special features on the films shown in the picture, and honestly, I feel personally, that no matter how great other films are in the anime industry, even ones inspired by the works of the many talented employees of Studio Ghibli, that nothing will ever quite reach the level of these films. Long story short, I'm a massive fan, and I wanted to see what some of your favorite films are from them. If you want suggestions for any film you haven't seen, or you just want to talk about your favorite films from the studio, let's chat. 

Studio Ghibli Collection.jpg

While there’s no denying the artistic merits of the Ghibli films & they make a good gateway for new or younger viewers of anime I can’t honestly say I’ve felt a connection to any of them & my memories  of most of them are pretty vague. I’d say Princess Mononoke is probably my favorite & the one I’ve rewatched the most, followed by Castle in the Sky & My Neighbor Totoro.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Ohiotaku said:

While there’s no denying the artistic merits of the Ghibli films & they make a good gateway for new or younger viewers of anime I can’t honestly say I’ve felt a connection to any of them & my memories  of most of them are pretty vague. I’d say Princess Mononoke is probably my favorite & the one I’ve rewatched the most, followed by Castle in the Sky & My Neighbor Totoro.

I have to admit to some of those same feelings towards them but that’s what makes them a good “gateway drug” to introduce new people to anime.  :) Yeah, maybe they’re kind of tame compared to some other anime.  Nobody has any objections to stuff like Whisper of the Heart for instance.  Then if that goes over well then you can work them up to Totoro or Spirited Away.  If they haven’t run away by then you can safely start them on the more “out there” content in regular anime.  (“Out there” by mainstream standards anyway.)

Not that any of the above should be construed as a slight in any way towards Ghibli on my part.  I’ve watched them all at least once, quite a few multiple times, and I own several in my collection.  I’ve never met a Ghibli that I didn’t like.

Edited by efaardvark
  • Like 1

I actually watch them pretty frequently and I have quite a few favorites; Spirited Away, Ponyo, My Neighbor Totoro, Pom Poko, The Cat Returns, When Marnie Was There, etc. I see that GKids is slowly re-releasing Studio Ghibli films under their name now too. 

I love Ohko's Inn which was also released under the GKid's name. 

Edited by EnviousEnvy
Phone likes to correct everything for me, ugh.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As far as Gateways are concerned, start with Ghibli, then do a Shinkai film or two, before going into other anime. I find Ghibli tends to focus on bog themes with war vs pacifism, environmental custodialship, and the like in general whereas Shinkai delves more into the emotional exploration and development instead (like grief, love, longing, etc). If someone is able to enjoy and identify with both, chances are good you can successfully introduce them to other anime as well. My go to Shinkai films for newbies are Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Your Name.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2020 at 11:16 AM, Beocat said:

As far as Gateways are concerned, start with Ghibli, then do a Shinkai film or two, before going into other anime. I find Ghibli tends to focus on bog themes with war vs pacifism, environmental custodialship, and the like in general whereas Shinkai delves more into the emotional exploration and development instead (like grief, love, longing, etc). If someone is able to enjoy and identify with both, chances are good you can successfully introduce them to other anime as well. My go to Shinkai films for newbies are Children Who Chase Lost Voices and Your Name.

I recently bought Your Name. Keep forgetting to watch it (oops).

Yeah there are a lot of non-Studio Ghibli anime films I recommend checking out as well...

Wolf Children

A Silent Voice

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

These are just a few to name. Also quite a few can be watched on Netflix and/or HBO Max now.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 12:14 PM, BlackedAdder said:

Personally i only grew up watching Castle In The Sky, Spirted Away, and Monoke. What other Studio Ghibli movie would you recommend to take a look at?

All of them. You've seen three of their best, but their filmography is filled with other great, fantastic films that only they seem capable of creating. Here's a list of their films, take a look at them when you feel you want to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Studio_Ghibli_works

24 minutes ago, EnviousEnvy said:

I recently bought Your Name. Keep forgetting to watch it (oops).

Yeah there are a lot of non-Studio Ghibli anime films I recommend checking out as well...

Wolf Children

A Silent Voice

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

These are just a few to name. Also quite a few can be watched on Netflix and/or HBO Max now.

That's one thing I will say about a lot of anime films now, as opposed to bac kin the day. For the longest time, in terms of pure quality and effort, no could touch Studio Ghibli, despite some great films coming out during their hay day, nothing really hit on that level. While these days, you won't often see films of the same style and nature, you can find films of a very different atmosphere that of the same quality. Films like "The Place Promised In Our Early Days" or "Children Who Chase Lost Voices" "In This Corner of the World" "Colorful" 

@RepentantSky True but unfortunately you do have to give Disney some credit to a point. Without Disney a lot of American families at least wouldn't of even batted an eye at Studio Ghibli films (unless the parents were already into anime themselves but let's face it a majority weren't). Without Disney slapping their label on the movie Studio Ghibli wouldn't be as popular and would probably get the same stereotypes as the other anime back then. 

Heck, how I even first discovered Studio Ghibli was because my own mother bought Kiki's Delivery Service simply because it was a Disney movie. Same with Spirited Away. Families back then figured anything Disney was wholesome family entertainment unlike now after Disney pretty much bought everything, lol. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm obsessed with Studio Ghibli films and the artist's artwork is beautiful, the characters exceptional, etc. But again, I don't think most of us would of grown up with Studio Ghibli if it weren't for Disney, lol. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

@RepentantSky True but unfortunately you do have to give Disney some credit to a point. Without Disney a lot of American families at least wouldn't of even batted an eye at Studio Ghibli films (unless the parents were already into anime themselves but let's face it a majority weren't). Without Disney slapping their label on the movie Studio Ghibli wouldn't be as popular and would probably get the same stereotypes as the other anime back then. 

Heck, how I even first discovered Studio Ghibli was because my own mother bought Kiki's Delivery Service simply because it was a Disney movie. Same with Spirited Away. Families back then figured anything Disney was wholesome family entertainment unlike now after Disney pretty much bought everything, lol. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm obsessed with Studio Ghibli films and the artist's artwork is beautiful, the characters exceptional, etc. But again, I don't think most of us would of grown up with Studio Ghibli if it weren't for Disney, lol. 

That's probably true for a lot of people, but it's not something I ever thought about. Kiki was my first Ghibli film, but I just happened to catch it airing on TV, and didn't know it had anything to with Ghibli or Disney until years later. 

• 2 weeks later...