Anime Suggestions for a newb

yoshi88

Hi guys (and girls),

So I'm just getting back into anime and am looking for something good to get started with. I've already been looking a bit on kissanime.com and saw a huge list with the most popular animes but frankly I have no idea where to start :S. Of course Ive heard of One Piece and Naruto, but I'm a bit reluctant to join in the hype. Would it be wise for me to go along with the hypening or is it more interesting to look for something a bit less popular but still freaking awesome?

All tips are welcome, thanks :)

What type of genres do you like? For instance, I like crime/mystery series, hence my liking of shows like Law & Order and NCIS. This is also why I was into QED (I read the manga) and Detective Conan (I read the manga...haven't regularly watched this in years...but keep up with the films), for example.

To be honest it all depends on what you like to watch , the hype on an anime has nothing to do with how much you will enjoy it but the ones that are hyped usually have good reason to be so well known , as One Piece and Naruto those are long running shonen which have over 500-600 or 700 (in One Pieces case [still with no signs of stopping anytime soon]) episodes and most new anime fans tend to stay away from them due to the sheer amount of time they have to put into them.

That does not mean you shouldn't start with one of them (I myself only started watching more "seriously?" if that's the right word... after starting Naruto)

Most new fans start off with series with around 12-50 episodes just to see how they feel about anime in general.

If you want to watch one of the long running shonen , I recommend Bleach , it is finished (at 366 episodes) and has some great action with sword fights and the supernatural powers that the characters use.

If you want to start with some shorter anime would recommend something like Code Geass , Guilty Crown or Tokyo Ghoul

Shigatsu Wa kimi no ujo

Owari no Seraph

Rokka No yuusha

Date A live

Charlotte

Kuusen Madoushi

I would recommend all of these except Rokka no Yuusha , it's a waste of an anime (Visually good but the story [or lack thereof] is just a wast of time).

No offence to @ZaneAnime.

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed

Yuru Yuri

Death Note

Code Geass

Sword Art Online

Cowboy Bebop

but they are personal choices its really up to you and what genre you like.

• 3 weeks later...

My recommendation is.... Not ask for any recommendations. if you want to really to enjoy the medium as a whole to it's full extend, it's best just to watch what available and what has a highscore. Because if you keep narrowing your standards with recommendations you become very bias toward genres and get stubborn about it. There are tons of people who refuse to watch/read Shoujo because they're a big fan of Shounen, or fans who only watch romance don't touch action for the same reason. Just try expanding your taste and try out EVERYTHING. Mal is a great place for a point of reference.

Source: me

Edited by Guest

My recommendation is.... Not ask for any recommendations. if you want to really to enjoy the medium as a whole to it's full extend, it's best just to watch what available and what has a highscore. Because if you keep narrowing your standards with recommendations you become very bias toward genres and get stubborn about it. There are tons of people who refuse to watch/read Shoujo because they're a big fan of Shounen, or fans who only watch romance don't touch action for the same reason. Just try expanding your taste and try out EVERYTHING. Mal is a great place for a point of reference.

Source: me

I still feel that genre should be considered based on what one likes in general. I don't care for romance unless it's secondary. I doubt I'd enjoy a series loaded with romance anime or not.

If a person likes action, I wouldn't recommend a drama.

• Geano locked this topic