Unusual Words/Epressions

Ohayotaku

Not sure if this will catch on, but figured I would give it a try :P 

The idea is to give an unusual word or expression & then it’s definition/meaning (maybe a joke meaning as well if you feel like it 😁 ) By unusual it can be something that’s outdated, regional, occupational or maybe just sounds weird. To start things off:

catty-corner

definition: diagonal to. slanted.

joke definition: where you put your pet feline when it misbehaves

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Funny 1

Me and my family sometimes play a game called Bolderdash, where you are trying to guess the definition of an obscure word, but we just have fun with it and make up crazy stuff. XD

Abasement

Definition: Lowered in rank, or to be humiliated.

Joe answer: Where the cool people live!

(Not me, just trying to be funny. :).)

• Funny 2

Uranium

Definition: the chemical element of atomic number 92, a dense gray radioactive metal used as a fuel in nuclear reactors.

Joke definition: 'Urs' until someone else takes it away. Then it becomes theiranium.

......... I'll see myself out now.........

• Funny 2

Kayfabe

Definition: colloquial term for the unstated rule in professional wrestling that wrestlers must always stay in character for events and public appearances to maintain the illusion of reality in the eyes of the fans. For anyone here who hasn't had that conversation yet, these people are actors portraying a character; this is not who they are in their personal lives. Wrestlers have had their cars totalled because fans perceived the heels as actual bad guys.

Joke Definition: a diminutive form for a person whose given name starts with a letter 'k' and whose surname is "Faber." <- I made that up.

• Like 1

Multimap

Definition: In computer science, a multimap is a generalization of a map or associative array abstract data type in which more than one value may be associated with and returned for a given key. Both map and multimap are particular cases of containers.

My "Definition": A multiverse where literally everything is a map.

Edited by KaiyaSaysHaiya
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sitting pretty.

Most of the time, the expression "sitting pretty" is used when someone is generally in a favorable position or situation. For example, "Jane's sitting pretty. She has enough money to buy a new Corvette."

I use it all the time (read: probably more than I should) at work when we're caught up with what we need to do before we open the doors. For example, "The BBQ is chopped, all the side items are cooked, the desserts are ready to serve, and we have another half hour before we open the doors. We're sittin' pritty here, y'all."