Is it ever okay to procrastinate?

Optic

Is it ever okay to procrastinate?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is it ever okay to procrastinate?

• Yes, things work out in the end for me.
    • No. When I procrastinate it stresses me or causes more work for me later.
    • It depends.

Is it ever okay to procrastinate? Why, or why not?

Consider these scenarios, which have happened to me before.

Scenario 1: Leaving an assignment to the last minute

Today is Thusrday. You have an assignment due on Monday.

You know you SHOULD complete it as soon as possible. Preferably by the end of Friday, because then you can enjoy the weekend doing things you love.

But every time you try to work on the assignment, something else just seems more important or more fun to do. Suddenly tasks like cleaning your room, your car or reorganising the manga or anime DVDs and BDs on your shelf move right up to the top of your list.

And before you know it, you've left it to the last minute and it's now Sunday night. Oops. >_<

Scenario 2: Putting off a long-term goal or project

You want to learn a new language, or maybe work towards a certification.

You think you can achieve it in a few months, but it will take consistent, hard work to get there. So you put a plan in motion.

The first few weeks goes according to plan. But as time goes on, your daily commitments from work, family and friends continue. You start to put your goal on the back-burner and before you know it, you've completely lost interest or feel you just don't have the time any more.

--

To answer the question, I think no. There are just so many times where I put things off and it just totally stressed me out later. In the end I think it comes down to time management, and how much commitments you take on. And maybe when you're in the midst of all those commitments, it's hard to see that unless you take a step back.

After all, after a long day at work it's easy to procrastinate!

hyperdimension-neptuna-neptune-plutia-napping.thumb.jpg.b869e1e90a724a97f9a52b04e96b4467.jpg

Scenario 1 Answer: Procrastinate until weekend. Finish most of it on Saturday, and wrap things up on Sunday. Things like watching anime, reading manga, listening to music, playing video games/VNs all come before assignments. :P Strangely enough, I work best at this pace, and would get more stressed trying to finish something before the weekend.

Scenario 2 Answer: Actually, unlike my first answer, I'm pretty good about trying my best in meeting long term goals on time. It's more like I procrastinate in creating the long term goals.

[FLOAT_RIGHT]:mages:[/FLOAT_RIGHT]

• Agree 1

Oh, boy, I know exactly what you mean.... ._. Procrastination is probably one of my biggest flaws...

I've tried to fix, that, really. But it's not fixable. If it's an assignment I have to complete, I'll end up doing it just a day before my deadline. However, when I'm really pressured by time, I work better so my results are good most of the time.....which is kinda weird if you ask me ._. Last May, during finals in high school, I studied just the night before, barely getting any sleep, and yet I did better than half my class that had been preparing for a couple of months xD (imagine what would've happened if I had been preparing for as long as they did :P )

As for long-term goals......erm, what are those again? I don't even set short-term goals. I don't know what I'll do with my life ._. I have to be REALLY interested in something to pursue it.....and I'm almost never interested in anything. I am the most I-don't-care-ish person I know and I'm completely aware that this is not good for me..... but I just don't care and I can't bring myself to do so.....

Situation 1 would be just about every project I've ever done , with the exception of one where I had to gather data over a longer period of time to create a beautiful graph ( I love stats by the way :P).

As for Situation 2 , When it comes to things like that I don't take breaks often and when I do I just need a quick refresh (scan the notes for some hints and then I'm back in the game).

Edited by Guest

Oh man my biggest flaw is procrastination. I stress myself out on a weekly basis because of it. I am always last minute for everything. :S

Scenario 1:

This was my entire school career actually. I never gave my full potential because I would procrastinate with all of my work. I could never sit down and do my school work. That is why I chose to go to trade school as a career option instead. If I worked in an office I would get nothing done. xD

Scenario 2:

I often do this too. I always have goals or get really into something and then by the time I get to it I wanna do something else. I do that with my hobbies all the time. I get really into something and by the time I get to it I'm obsessed with doing something else.

I often put some of my life goals on the back burner to help my family sometimes which I want to do but sometimes I use them as an excuse for other things I should be doing with my own life I have to admit.

Scenario 1:

Bro procrastination is the way to go for schoolwork. I mean if you think about it, you're not getting paid (at least for me since I'm still in highschool). Meaning that I can procrastinate all I want as long as I turn in my work on time, as well as do well on the tests. I guess I should probably also know the stuff I need to know but whatever.

Scenario 2:

When it comes to personal goals no, because it's your personal goal. It's something you want. You should practice discipline and come through for yourself. I mean its something YOU want right? Like I make it a personal goal, to practice ball for at least 45 minutes everyday. And I have been doing this for almost 2 years straight now and I have definitely seen huge improvements in my skills. So yeah.

I think procrastination is okay for school work (not projects though forgot to mention that) and that you should not procrastinate on personal goals since it's something you want. Oh and definitely a big no-no if you're working, since you're getting paid and all.

• Agree 1

• 8 months later...

With the JLPT (Japanese Literacy Proficiency Test) coming up in December... and thinking back on this today, suddenly mundane tasks such as gardening, reorganising the cupboard, cabinets and cable management as well as rewatching older anime series seem more important than long term projects. :P

So if anyone has any new strategies to beat procrastination, then feel free to share. ;)

Edited by Guest