Naruto vs Naruto Shippuden

User 1510

I guess I'll have to go with the original series, as I did manage to watch all of it. With Shippuden, I apparently stopped 192 eps in. I don't think it was Shippuden's fault and feel that even if it was the first series, I still would've eventually stopped watching. I just lost interest and wanted the series as a whole to hurry up and get to the point.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

I prefer original series as I liked younger Naruto better than older one. It's not like some big transformation happened which ruined Naruto as a character but rather because Naruto wasn't really an underdog anymore as they've continued to portray him as in Shippuden. Before he was a lovable goofball, now he was just bland. I mean think about it, he was in his teenage years but did you sense that at all?

It even turned out that his obsession with Sasuke wasn't sexual...

• Like 1

I guess I'll have to go with the original series, as I did manage to watch all of it. With Shippuden, I apparently stopped 192 eps in. I don't think it was Shippuden's fault and feel that even if it was the first series, I still would've eventually stopped watching. I just lost interest and wanted the series as a whole to hurry up and get to the point.

I agree. I only stopped watching at episode 69.

Edited by Guest

I prefer original series as I liked younger Naruto better than older one. It's not like some big transformation happened which ruined Naruto as a character but rather because Naruto wasn't really an underdog anymore as they've continued to portray him as in Shippuden. Before he was a lovable goofball, now he was just bland. I mean think about it, he was in his teenage years but did you sense that at all?

I also felt that Naruto's character was not translated so well as an older teenager in Shippuden.

I definitely prefer Shippuden between the two. They are both great for what they are and I love them both. However; in Shippuden, the tale is just on a much more epic scale. More power, bigger threats, bigger themes. My biggest complaint about Shippuden that the original series handled well, however, is exploring life outside the main narrative (life on the other teams, etc).

• Agree 1

I definitely prefer Shippuden between the two. They are both great for what they are and I love them both. However; in Shippuden, the tale is just on a much more epic scale. More power, bigger threats, bigger themes. My biggest complaint about Shippuden that the original series handled well, however, is exploring life outside the main narrative (life on the other teams, etc).

I agree that there were bigger threats as I noticed that Naruto himself was once on the verge of dying later on in the series.

In regards to your spoiler, how could anyone have thought that? He clearly saw him as a friend who had turned to the dark side. Both could relate to one another because of the losses and loneliness they both felt. He was a comrade. One of Naruto's most commendable traits was how serious he took friendships and that's probably due to the fact that he grew up without them, as he was always shunned by those around him.

So yeah, I really don't get why the revaluation in your spoiler was a surprise.

In regards to your spoiler, how could anyone have thought that?

I never thought of it as well, in fact I've put that spoiler as a reference to Naruto ''being a teenager'', as love interests/love troubles are probably biggest drive for any teenager... Expect for Naruto who clearly wasn't a teenager but an underdeveloped character. :)

He clearly saw him as a friend who had turned to the dark side. Both could relate to one another because of the losses and loneliness they both felt. He was a comrade. One of Naruto's most commendable traits was how serious he took friendships and that's probably due to the fact that he grew up without them, as he was always shunned by those around him.

So yeah, I really don't get why the revaluation in your spoiler was a surprise.[/Quote]

Actually in the end we found out that their relationship was more like a romantic relationship rather than friendship...

*SOME ACTUAL SPOILERS AHEAD*

They've actually addressed Naruto and Sasuke's relationship in manga (and anime) and it turned out that they were both part of a prophecy, kinda like a Yin and Yang thing which is why their bond was stronger than that of a regular friendship. So THEY WERE MEANT TO BE TOGETHER since they were born and THEY WERE OBSESSED WITH ONE ANOTHER for the entire time, does that seem like a regular friendship to you? >.>

I'm glad they've at least addressed it as I've never bought the whole Naruto's-a-''good guy''-and-that's-why-he's-trying-to-save-Sauske-thing, but still I find it kinda sloppy how they've handled it throughout series.

Oh, and watching this changes person. :P

[spoiler=NSFW: *Warning, adult language ahead*]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_TTiAO2LOM

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

I liked Shippuden better only because of the "action" that happened, but generally I liked the first part better because that's where the character development of Shippuden came from. All of the characters Naruto and the others interacted with in the first part made an appearance in Shippuden (such as the reanimation) as well. Everything fell into place relatively well.

• Like 1

I liked Shippuden better only because of the "action" that happened, but generally I liked the first part better because that's where the character development of Shippuden came from. All of the characters Naruto and the others interacted with in the first part made an appearance in Shippuden (such as the reanimation) as well. Everything fell into place relatively well.

I agree because I remember there were some intense situations where there was almost no hope for some of the characters. Plus we get to see Naruto's second phase of his nine-tail fox transformation and I have to tell you, he looked unrecognizable and very upset.

The only thing that I felt Shippuden had stronger than Naruto was the last 25ish episodes, in which they tie together all of the character stories and interactions nicely. It was all pandering to nostalgia, but it still was nice!

The only thing that I felt Shippuden had stronger than Naruto was the last 25ish episodes, in which they tie together all of the character stories and interactions nicely. It was all pandering to nostalgia, but it still was nice!

I watched the moments of nostalgia in the early episodes of Shippuden.

I have to say, that'd be hard if it weren't for the start of Shippuden, which is honestly, horrible. I know it may seem unfair to make my choice based on how the show started but seriously, it's really bad. I mean, how many episodes did it take for Gaara to show up, lose a fight, get killed, get revived, and go home, because that's basically all that happens that matters in that arc. Making a powerful puppet master, only to kill him before arc's end, doesn't make it important to the story. The answer to that question I asked by the way, is 32. That's 8 months of weekly episodes to get one plot point and some basic information through that could have been handled in less than 16. By episode 32 of Naruto, they are already in the Chunin exams, Sakura is trying to defend Naruto and Sasuke from sound Ninja, and just in general, a lot more happened. It wouldn't bother me as much that it took that long for that arc, but that arc set the pace for the entire show, which was, incredibly sluggish to say the least, and it probably was so because they got away with dragging on one short arc for 3/4's of a year. The pacing of Shippuden was just, really, really bad, and while one could argue that Naruto had too many fillers, I don't mind it. Without those fillers, the characters from Naruto wouldn't have had the impact they do because I wouldn't have known them as well. Sure, they all pretty much told the same story, but they did with it different characters so you got to know them all, so that when characters like Neji die, it means more than it would have otherwise. Naruto has a portion that is a low note, Shippuden has huge chucks of low notes to try and make the high notes seem like they have more impact and if I hadn't been watching anime for over 15 years by the time that really set in, I might have been okay with it, but I did and, I'm not. Shippuden is okay, but there's no way it has even the slightest chance of being better than Naruto was.

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

I'll go with the series that didn't overextend there final arc with a bunch of filler episodes. :? Oh wait that's both of them so I think I've gotta go with Naruto purely because it never dipped in quality like Shippuden did during the war arc.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'll go with the series that didn't overextend there final arc with a bunch of filler episodes. :? Oh wait that's both of them so I think I've gotta go with Naruto purely because it never dipped in quality like Shippuden did during the war arc.

I also feel that the first series retained its high animation quality during the filler episodes so I still enjoyed them.

Disclaimer: I haven't watched either anime.

As far as things go from a manga perspective though, the first portion was definitely my favorite - the second (in my opinion) just sort of ran around mindlessly like a super saiyan with its head cut off, with constant and absurd increases in power levels being dished out like candy.

By the end of it, I wasn't reading the manga because I particularly enjoyed it - I was reading it out of equal parts boredom and morbid curiosity.

• Informative 1

As far as things go from a manga perspective though, the first portion was definitely my favorite - the second (in my opinion) just sort of ran around mindlessly like a super saiyan with its head cut off, with constant and absurd increases in power levels being dished out like candy.

Tbh I think the second part was okay till after the Pain arc. Where the lack of worldbuilding and characters being shafted for the Uchiha plot became more apparent as he introduced like a dozen new important characters before the final arc and killed off Danzo.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Naruto because in shippuden they didn't let Naruto do much fighting I do give props at the end tho but over all Naruto wins because he actually fought people instead of searching for sasuke and being protected by others until they couldn't anymore... Anyone else think they did like 20 episodes of pure running in shippuden?

• Agree 2

Naruto because in shippuden they didn't let Naruto do much fighting I do give props at the end tho but over all Naruto wins because he actually fought people instead of searching for sasuke and being protected by others until they couldn't anymore... Anyone else think they did like 20 episodes of pure running in shippuden?

I really enjoyed Naruto's fight against Gaara when I first watched it three and a half years ago. He temporarily abandoned his goofiness as he became so intensely motivated towards defeating Gaara whilst realizing they both had damaged childhoods. The difference was that Naruto was supported by his sensei Iruka where as Gaara was betrayed by his sensei, thus resulting in his destructive behavior.

Naruto Shippuden definetely. Though, Shippuden is a nest of plenty fillers and here i have to agree with @ssjup81 but heyyy, Luffy is still searching for the One Piece so i guess it's fine how it is. :D

I have to agree that there were some intense fights and dire situations in Naruto Shippuden.

• Like 1

• Geano locked this topic