What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

So Scott Manley posted a first look at actual KSP2 gameplay from an ESA-sponsored event in Amsterdam.  TL;DR.. I'm not impressed tbh. 

On the plus side, visually it looks a lot better.  The models have clearly had a bit more work put into them than the ones in KSP1.  I also like the redo of the build system.. for example building wings.  I'd like to see a lot more of the whole construction process in fact.  There's hints of some depth there.  The tutorials look like they'll be good for the noobs.  It seems like the fabled reworking from the ground up has actually produced some promising results.  (We'll see once the game is released and gamers/modders get a chance to see the guts next week.)

But as far as the rest of the actual game goes it is (as Manley rightly says) a significant step backwards for those of us who already have KSP1.  I (almost) always play a "career" game, but the only option at the moment is sandbox.  No sign of the promised multiplayer.  No interstellar.  No colonies.  No mining or resource collection in any form.  No OS support for anything other than Windows.  The visuals don't make me envious of anything that I don't already have in my modded KSP1.  Some of the maneuvering & mission planning tools available in KSP1 seem to not exist.  Lots of minor details seem inefficient or unavailable.

The biggest problem I see is the required system specs even for "minimum" level are significantly higher than for KSP1.   Looking at the Steam hardware survey only about 30% of Steam gamers have the required minimum 2060/5600XT, and only a very few have the "recommended" 3080/6800 or better GPU.  They say performance tuning is in the works, but as it stands this is going to be a big hurdle to clear for well over 50% of the people who might be interested in KSP2.  (My own recently-purchased 6600XT falls in between the two.. but definitely closer to the "minimum" end than "recommended".)

All that said, I am happy that it actually exists, and quite interested in where it goes from here.  It is a decent early-access offering - as long as you don't consider the now-official $50(!) price attached - but I find that I'm not all that interested in playing it in its current form.

Edited by efaardvark
steam numbers

Disney Dreamlight Valley 

Been putting most of my time into DDV lately. Growing pumpkins to make moola and completing quests. Believe I have all areas unlocked for now. I'm still behind though lol. 

The Sims 4

Livestreamed it for about 3 hours. Have been on a building binge lately. Currently working on a family home with a basement and an upstairs. The yard is pretty much finished as well as the basement (which has the boy's bedroom, gym, bar and a tot spot) and kitchen.

Ark 

Got back into Ark because my fiance has been asking me to play it with him for like months. So I reinstalled and started a new save file. Just hope I don't get bored again.

Sons of the Forest

Just got this game today and didn't play much of it yet. Found Kelvin and a potential spot for my base. 

• Like 1

So apparently Cities: Skylines II was announced.  I liked the first one but I really have no idea what the second one is about.  The announcement trailer didn't really say anything useful about gameplay.  "Later this year" for the release date.

51 minutes ago, Android Rebel said:

What was the first one like? What was it about? Like, building cities or...?

The first one was basically a SimCity remake.  I did SimCity to death back in the day.  I had the original for the Commodore Amiga, the Loki version for Linux, and even a version for the Palm Pilot PDA.  I had to drop the habit due to Electronic Arts shenanigans but the original Cities: Skylines was there to take up where SC left off.  I’ve been playing the Steam version of C:S (+ various DLC) for a while now.

• 2 weeks later...

These ore veins using minecraft's new(ish) terrain generation algos are amazing.  I've been working this one iron vein for quite a while now.  I've got at least a couple dozen stacks of iron blocks out of it to date and it still isn't showing any signs of petering out.  Hardly even need an iron farm anymore, especially if you have a pick-axe with Fortune on it.

2023-04-07_16_33_15.thumb.png.d470f07153d05c647a0cbb769f71f1d6.png

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading up on the minecraft 1.20 "Trails and Tales" update.   IMO this looks to be the best update since the Nether update, with cherry trees/wood/biome, camels (2 people riding!) and sniffers, bamboo wood/blocks for building, archeology, chiseled bookshelves, hanging signs, armor trims, and even an inventory upgrade (bundles).  MSFT has only said "2023" but rumor has it coming out in June.  Getting close!  (Maybe.)

I've looked at a lot of this as 1.19.4's "experimental" features and I'm looking forward to it all being in the main game.  Well, most of it anyway.  The netherite changes are going to make netherite armor a lot harder to obtain and maintain, requiring many more diamonds as well as a lot of exploration to obtain the smithing template(s).  Might be worth it to craft myself a "backup" set of armor before the update drops.

Due to recent events I felt like spending the evening doing some KSP.  :D

So I got a couple of those "match the orbit" contracts.  This is a career game so retiring multiple contracts per launch is desirable.  One of the orbits was equatorial and one was polar and much higher but no biggie.  Built and launched a suitable vehicle.  Matched the equatorial orbit and then went for the polar.  Got the vehicle's apoapsis touching the contract orbit's ascending node easily enough, then tried for a combo plane change plus periapsis-matching maneuver at the Ap for the finisher.  This game install is unmodded so I had to fiddle with the @%@$# built-in maneuver node gadget quite a bit to get the nearly 90-degree inclination change AND the matching periapsis.  Finally did manage a perfect match however, then looked at the resulting dV.. 666.0 meters per second.

I have a bad feeling about this one.  :D :D

screenshot7.thumb.png.ca67ad2375aa5210ef887d6900a642cb.png
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Animedragon said:

That all sounds like great fun. Although the complexity of the maths would hurt my brain. 😱

(Maths and I are not good friends 🙂)

Not a lot of maths actually.  I mean, it is there but the game usually hides it pretty well.  (Though the numbers are there if you want them.)  Maybe a bit of geometry.  I often figure out things like maneuvers by eyeball or such high tech methods as holding the straight edge of a piece of paper against the screen.  :) 

It does help to understand something about what is going on behind the scenes however.  Especially for some things like rendezvous that are counter-intuitive to those of us that live on solid ground at the bottom of steep gravity wells.

By the way, I double-checked my maneuver and it turned out that if I had actually performed it as planned I would have wound up in exactly the right orbit but going in the wrong direction per the contract requirements!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, efaardvark said:

By the way, I double-checked my maneuver and it turned out that if I had actually performed it as planned I would have wound up in exactly the right orbit but going in the wrong direction per the contract requirements!

That sounds like my attempts to find my way somewhere without the aid of my sat-nav. 😃

Still re-learning how to play KSP.  Before my recent reacquaintance the last time I'd played was July of 2021, at least according to the timestamp on the save file for my "career" game from back then.  That game has ships and bases everywhere, and I have completely forgotten wtf I was doing in-game.