Best Introductory Anime

drill

What do you think is the best introductory anime is? For me, it was SAO. Actually, before I watched SAO, I didn't really even give anime a shot. It wasn't until my brother saw SAO, and showed it to me. Now I have over 30 days recorded on my list... what have I done? xD

I also, think Clannad and Kanon (2006) would both be good introductory anime. Other titles that are on the top of my list like Angel Beats and Steins;Gate, I would probably suggest after the person gets at least a few shows watched first.

I watched Angel Beats based on someone's recommendation, and that was what got me into anime again. I had never seen such a title before so that made me curious about other anime genres. :)

In terms of introducing anime to a complete newcomer... It would depend on the person. Assuming they don't mind violent themes, I reckon Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Fate/stay night (UBW) are good bets as they are easy to get into and have good likable characters with very strong stories.

Well, a good introductory series kinda depends on the person in question, right? I mean, genre should be taken into account, I mean. Let's say you have a friend who really likes adventure stories or fantasy stories...so maybe a good introductory series would be...one of the Tales series.

Anyway, for me, I was watching Japanese-animated stuff without even knowing it. I grew up with 80s Nickelodeon so I was watching stuff like the Mysterious City of Gold, Noozles, Adventure of the Little Koala, Maya the Bee, Mapletown, etc. Nickelodeon back then used to import shows from Canada, the UK, and Japan. I just never thought about it. To me if it entertained me, didn't matter where it was from.

My first series was probably original Voltron...but not by choice. I was forced to watch it. lol Another series, G-Force (Gatchaman) I also saw when very young and more so out of force. My older cousin liked these shows a lot...I couldn't get into them.

The first series I saw where I consciously knew it was from Japan was probably...either Pokemon or Dragon Ball Z. lol Like I said above, I never thought about where a show was from. I just watched it.

• 1 month later...

When creating a new anime fan I tend to introduce them to anime with good animation and either a gripping story or great action scenes depending on the person I'm introducing I usually recommend that people start on Guilty Crown , SAO , Death Note Hellsing or Eureka seven but more often than not I recommend Guilty Crown as it shows both good action and good story with good animation and it also shows a little mech.

My personal intro to anime was Eureka seven and after the first minute I never looked back.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You can't really generalise one or two shows to be great introductory anime. It really all comes down to what sort of person you're dealing with and their interests.

My brother-in-law didn't really care for anime much (and still doesn't, he's usually too busy to watch anything, anime or otherwise), but Gantz is what got him interested a bit more in it. Gantz is also what got my boyfriend hooked on anime.

For myself, I grew up watching standard stuff like Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball Z, Cardcaptur Sakura, Digimon, Samurai Champloo, Basilisk, and a bunch of others. It was just a normal thing for me to watch on the TV and I didn't have much idea about the concept of anime.

What got me actively pursuing anime though was when someone showed me Neon Genesis Evangelion.

• Like 1

What do you think is the best introductory anime is? For me, it was SAO. Actually, before I watched SAO, I didn't really even give anime a shot. It wasn't until my brother saw SAO, and showed it to me. Now I have over 30 days recorded on my list... what have I done? xD

I also, think Clannad and Kanon (2006) would both be good introductory anime. Other titles that are on the top of my list like Angel Beats and Steins;Gate, I would probably suggest after the person gets at least a few shows watched first.

For me it was the first Naruto series as I found it highly addictive and found myself binge watching it.

If you're a guy then definitely a shonen. I've watched anime sporadically on TV for years before I've gotten into them more seriously and all of anime that were showing were shonen, and for a good reason. Shonens are easily digestible, they're stories about struggle between good and evil typical for all of cultures.

For me it was the first Naruto series as I found it highly addictive and found myself binge watching it.

Like in Daniel's case I too watched Naruto and since Jetix (good old Jetix.... :'() was rolling them out slowly I've wanted to watch them more regularly it prompted me to look for more episodes online. Now granted I've previously did the same with Dragon Ball Z but Naruto made me look for other anime.

My suggestion for a beginner's anime would also be Naruto, Bleach and/or Hunter x Hunter (probably my favorite shonen).

However, I'm not sure how girls approach anime... I've been wanting to get my GF to watch some with me but it's kinda hard to pick where to start... I'll definitely show her Clannad eventually since it's my favorite anime but I was thinking and right now I'd like to show her something else first so she'd have some basic knowledge or an idea what to expect. So for girls I'd suggest animes like Kokoro Connect, Myself;Yourself or SAO. But since I'm not expert with girls anime I'd like to get some girl's feedback as well, ladies??

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i started out on high school dxd, i loved it yes it had lots of fan service ( i mean shit ton ) but it also had, fighting, a tad bit of romance, fan service, drama, action, comedy, and some parts got sad not alot of times did it get sad but it would every once in awhile so ya im stick by that i think tis a good one to start out on.

• Geano locked this topic