What do you dislike about anime?

Manifesto

I can't say that I've ever really noticed this as a frequent thing myself. :o

I've seen plenty of anime that have taken tremendous liberty with portraying Christian imagery and the like, though I see it as not being too different from how Eastern religions have often been portrayed here in the West - people simply borrowing clumsily from cultures that they aren't personally terribly familiar with. I don't think, however, that I've seen many shows that portray God as being evil or malevolent - in fact I'd say that in general, I think most anime tend to be fairly secular in nature.

The only show that comes to mind in which core tenants of the Christian faith are portrayed as evil or malevolent is Drifters, to be honest... though, I suppose I could name a few that cast the Catholic Church (the organization, rather than the faith) as being morally questionable. Not sure if that's what y'all mean?

I myself haven't seen many anti Christian anime but I get the worries....however I'm still worried more about kids seeing the more soft hentai stuff rather than gore

I myself haven't seen many anti Christian anime but I get the worries....however I'm still worried more about kids seeing the more soft hentai stuff rather than gore

Ahh, that makes sense. There are some pretty ... odd ... anime out there, so I was just wondering if I had missed something.

And yeah, large amounts of IN YOUR FACE fanservice is definitely the main thing that ends up turning me off from a lot of shows. :?

I think the main thing that turns me off of series is the stagnation of subject matter.

Many can claim that I have seen a LOT of anime in my time if they browse my viewed collection. I was mildly surprised that information is still out there as I recovered my Anime-Planet account recently and everything was there. I've still got to update it to cover the last five years or so but I'll digress now and get back on point.

There are a lot of series out there that are knockoffs of other series that utilize tropes that are entirely ubiquitous to no interesting effect. I am entirely in favor of a new series improving upon previous ideas, such is the case between Shuffle and Nisekoi or GTO and Gokusen. The previous examples are all great in their own right but the latter ones either made the genre more appealing or added some nice touches to raise the bar on quality of work within the genre.

An example going the other way would be between series such as Medabots and Spider Riders. These are both series with similar plot points including companion technologies and the whole "friendship conquers all" thing. I see these two series as trying to capitalize on the success of Pokemon, Digimon, and Power Rangers to some extent but falling flat due to lack of quality in aspects such as writing or the like. Basically, anime or other works that try to be something else without being their own unique identity is what I don't care for. Please do be unique, show a different side of a genre, satirize for improvement, just don't get whisked away by trying to keep up with something else.

I my self would have to say that what I dislike is the fact that (well to me) here in Australia it seems to be a lack of content available and you have to go searching for it to find sites where it doesn't come up restricted not for your area , more so the stuff that's not only suitable for children

i may find an anime that's caught my interest and seems worth watching to then have to search who has the licence's that i can watch it thru for mu area or if its even available for this area

the anime culture doesn't seem much over here and i wouldn't even know where to get manga or hard copy anime with out going on line to buy and for me that's another prob due to needing to be home to collect and i don't have a job that enables me to do that either

There's a lot to dislike about anime, for example, poorly placed harems, the constant reuse of voices rather than allowing those with unique talent to use it properly, pace changes that don't add up, the list goes on. The one thing that bothers me the most though, is by and large the community surrounding anime, and I don't mean the fanbases of shows and genre's, I mean the perception of anime fans, and the truths that come with that as well as some of the stereotypes of the medium. Thankfully, this community has very little of that former point going on, which is nice, because I feel like I can talk about anime as it needs to be talked about, and not feel like I'm going to get bombarded by a bunch of people for even sort of challenging the perspectives and perceptions that come with being a fan, because we can discuss, and have different opinions, and that's okay. But as someone who has seen so many things that I've been a fan of for years, start dropping the negative connotations that come with liking them, I feel like anime has moved forward the least, both in how we react to it, and how it's created. I'm tired of people getting mad when you don't share their opinion, even though we should all be on the same side of pushing away the assumed idea of what an anime fan is. On the same note, I wish Japan would stop focusing so much on the sexy aspects of it's characters, or allow them to use some different voices for once. Natsu and Maka were great because they sounded different, and those different voices fit their different personalities. I want more shows like Hanasaku Iroha, which actually focus on character development above all else, and less anime that try and make you feel something by putting through the same stereotypes we've come to expect over the last 20 years. Anime has so much potential, but just like say, movies and games, which have been improving vastly for the most part every year or two, anime needs to improve as well.

Yeah, while some series do go with some strange choices in terms of story, one thing I do think is holding the medium back is restrictions on streaming, which I've never understood why they exist in the first place.

I think its just out of the fact I'm British that I don't get it. As is true for a lot of Japanese media brought to the west, we see more series in subbed or dubbed form in the US. But things get iffy when it comes to Europe. We Brits don't get a number of series because the companies don't want to fork out for working into the wide range of languages in Europe, and yet when we do, we're tossed the same version that the Americans already got.

In this age of the internet, if you don't allow something to be gotten legally, people who want that something will just pirate it. There's so many fans out there that haven't contributed anything to the shows they enjoy because they watch on illegal sites. Some act like "If I can get it free, why should I pay for it?", others say "I can't find this legally in my country."

The latter is a legitimate complaint, and one I find more from people outside the US and Canada. But unfortunately, we have few ways to try correct this.

The former is what I have issue with. One can tell people you can watch things on Crunchyroll for free, and get "But I don't wanna watch ads!" thrown back at them. Here in the UK, Crunchyroll Premium is £5 a month, or £40 a year. That's the same price as your year of Playstation Plus or Xbox Live Gold. Is that really too much to pay out to watch anime legally?

well I dislike the fact that most anime series make God as an evil being. I respect that most japanese don`t believe in God, but they don`t need to push it into the minds of kids. Other than that maybe the excessive blood in some anime series that may be disturbing for kids.
The main religion here is a mix of Buddhism and Shintoism. There are beliefs in multiple gods, some good, some bad. You can't have good without bad. That's the balance. For whatever series you've watched where a God was portrayed as evil, did you look into why that was? What's the origin of said god? Is the God in question based on a real world spiritual Japanese equivalent? Japanese do believe in gods. Dang, they say that all of the emperors are descendants of gods...well maybe it's not said as much because of Japan's WWII loss, but um yeah. Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

The main religion here is a mix of Buddhism and Shintoism. There are beliefs in multiple gods, some good, some bad. You can't have good without bad. That's the balance. For whatever series you've watched where a God was portrayed as evil, did you look into why that was? What's the origin of said god? Is the God in question based on a real world spiritual Japanese equivalent? Japanese do believe in gods. Dang, they say that all of the emperors are descendants of gods...well maybe it's not said as much because of Japan's WWII loss, but um yeah.

To add to this point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLhiWw3pzQk

I remember this, but will rewatch it later. It's been years.

What I can't seem to get over when I watch anime, and this seems to happen more often in the Japanese versions, is female voice actors. Female anime characters are always voiced in a very "breathless" way. They sound like they are whining, moaning, and gasping for air. High pitched. I don't know why this is but I just can't stand it.
For me personally, I'd rather put up with an animated character sounding this way, than encountering adult women in real life putting on that kind of voice since it's supposed to be cute. *coughs*maidcafes*coughs*
  • Agree 1

• Geano locked this topic