Unusual food experiences

I just saw a youtube video of some guys trying some really spicy food and thought back to something I did, and got the idea for this.

Have you ever eaten or drank something that was exceptional to the point of being disgusting, dangerous or in any other way unusual?

10299d129de030_full.png

For me it was when I was a kid and I visited a friend whose family came from Napoli/Naples. His grandmother (who was living there) was the stereotypical Italian mom you imagine, and they brought really spicy pepper (the thin long ones, I don't know the English name for it). I used to eat a lot of spicy things back then, and couldn't imagine something being really all that spicy. I hadn't counted on the sun dried Neapolitan pepper though and just munched on it like it was nothing (they told me they only use a small slice for a whole pot of pasta but I thought I knew better).
Soon afterwards I felt a burning sensation quickly spreading from my tongue, through my mouth to my nose, face and lungs. It was so spicy that it felt like someone was literally pouring fire over me 😂 All the others were rolling on the floor laughing while I was in agony and almost blanked out. They gave me a lot of cold milk but that only helped for like a second. At some point my mouth went numb and I was sweating buckets. It took like half an hour to get to a point where the pain started to recede. I was just relieved that the burning sensation was gone at some point 😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Yea, similar - I was very young and didn’t know what those spicy red pepper flakes were in a salt shaker (larger holes) and I liked to smell all of the spices that were available... I’ve always loved food 😜 well.. they went into my nose and lit me up for a while, and nothing I could do would make the burning stop, just had to wait it out.

• Like 2

@Seshi maybe you should've tried snorting some milk 😂

The most recent strange encounter I've had with food happened a couple of months ago. My friend invited me to a restaurant with his friend, and her two friends, one of which they were trying to set me up with. I'd never been to this place before, so I kept it simple and ordered a buffalo chicken salad. Well, I guess I didn't pay enough attention to the menu, cause when I got my salad, you'd of thought I ordered a blue cheese salad with a side of lettuce and chicken. I'd never tried blue cheese before that, but, being that I was trying to be cool for this girl, I didn't say anything. I didn't want to make a big deal and have her think, 'wow, this moron can't even order his own food right'. So I said f it, I took a bite and sure enough, just as I thought, I didn't like it one bit. It was a nasty stinging sensation on my tongue.

I took a big gulp of water, and then waited til no one was looking and dumped about a half bottle of tabasco sauce on my salad. It was enough to kill the flavor of the blue cheese.

I was able to make it through dinner, but unfortunately, even though we clicked, I haven't seen that girl since. I was later told those other two girls are the worst (or best?) cockblockers there is. They were too jelly of their friend and didn't want to give her my number, or give me her number. 

But long story short, me no like blue cheese, lol.

• Silly 1
  • Funny 2

• 1 month later...

The worst experience I think I have ever had with food was when I was visiting my friend overseas. Her family was going out for a birthday party at a really upscale French Italian restuarant and the menu was mostly not in English and I didn't understand anything that I could read for that matter so I just said I would have what my friend was having.

So I get my salad and it;s really good but I can't figure out what in the heck I'm eating so I lean over to ask my friend what's in this to which she informs me it's a snail salad. It has snails in it. I am eating snails. I threw up all over the table into my plate and ran to the bathroom and didn't want to leave lmfao.

I kind of single-handedly ruined that birthday dinner...At least my friend thought it was hilarious I guess? X-X Never again have I ordered something that I don't know what's in it.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Asuna Yuki said:

The worst experience I think I have ever had with food was when I was visiting my friend overseas. Her family was going out for a birthday party at a really upscale French Italian restuarant and the menu was mostly not in English and I didn't understand anything that I could read for that matter so I just said I would have what my friend was having.

So I get my salad and it;s really good but I can't figure out what in the heck I'm eating so I lean over to ask my friend what's in this to which she informs me it's a snail salad. It has snails in it. I am eating snails. I threw up all over the table into my plate and ran to the bathroom and didn't want to leave lmfao.

I kind of single-handedly ruined that birthday dinner...At least my friend thought it was hilarious I guess? X-X Never again have I ordered something that I don't know what's in it.

That hilarious! Not the vomit part... but most of it lol. I went to Spain and had a similar experience with a menu being entirely in spanish... Now friends.. Don't get cocky and think you know enough Spanish when you actually don't... Don't guess because you'll not even be in the ballpark! I accidentally ordered pickled asparagus for my main dish at lunch... That was an extremely sad moment for me 😂

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 1 year later...

Oh man, my first time eating and experiencing Corn Smut was very unusual. Telling myself that eating a black mold substance was good and alright took some time. When thinking about it though, it would be the equivalent of working with squid ink or any type of fungus really. Corn Smut is really REALLY fun to play with in a variety of different cuisines, it pretty much adds a huge depth of flavor and big umami bomb. Huitlacoche is probably the easiest and one of the tastiest things to make with it, highly recommend getting some and playing around with it! 

On 7/25/2019 at 8:59 AM, Seshi said:

I accidentally ordered pickled asparagus for my main dish at lunch... That was an extremely sad moment for me 😂

Pickled asparagus is so good, if done right, and it isn't all floppy and soggy, and in moderation lol I put a really awesome Asparagus Croque on a brunch menu once, with grilled,  pickled, and fried asparagus with a sunny egg. Talking about it again, makes me want to make this for dinner now! Too bad asparagus season is over in my area *cry*

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another one for the group. It popped up on my photos from a few years back. The restaurant I was the Sous at broke down whole hogs, we needed to find a use for the heads, so I ran a special every few weeks called Feijoada. It is SOOOO so good. It is mainly a Brazilian recipe and the chili like soup is served with rice and some kind of citrus, commonly oranges. Anyways, sorry if this photo makes anyone squeemish or grossed out but it was part of the process, and it is for most, an uncommon/unusual food experience. 

13380959_552100834969803_1661721967_n(1).jpg

Edited by XII360
Graphic content (gorey)
  • Confused 1