Hey everyone

Castigear

I assume from the fact that there is an “introduce yourself” thread, that is something one does. I’m getting back into anime after a long time away, and looking for other fans who can steer me in the right direction and I can discuss anime manga and games with. 

Im an old guy, married w kiddos. Don’t have a ton of time to devote to forums (or anime or games for that matter) but they are things I enjoy and I indulge when I can.

i feel I have pretty broad tastes, used to watch a lot of Shounen back in the early 2000s, I’ve since broadened my viewing to some more slice of life, comedy, supernatural and psychological (although nothing too depressing).

• Like 2

BC9170AF-E2B0-48BB-B6D4-4E8B3BBE8E35.thumb.jpeg.006fa9276679b569aad64873c93855a8.jpeg

Welcome,

I hope you enjoy your time here. There’s some really interesting anime releasing right now. I hope you get the chance to check some of them out with us as they air. We have some weekly threads going in the anime section.

See ya around!

• Like 1

Welcome 😁

There are actually a number of members here with families. For myself, no family but older than your average anime fan.

As far as some recent recommendations:

Shonen: My Hero Academia, Kimetsu no Yaiba, Ushio & Tora (referring to the recent tv series, not the old OVA). I’ll also mention Megalobox which was one of the better recent single cour series. 

Slice of Life: A Place Further than the Universe & My Roommate is a Cat (both have some sadness, but an overall positive message) For pure comfiness try Yuru Camp & Flying Witch. 

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 2

My oldest son (11) and I have started My Hero Academia, but I only see him every other weekend so it’s slow going.  Just finished season one.  Think I’m gonna try nakanohito genome tonight, it seems like it might be up my alley. I also have the second seasons of index and railgun on deck. Your other recommendations are definitely going on my list. 

to give a little more context, gaming wise I do a lot of jrpgs  (which I’m sure is pretty common around here) from FF and Tales to SMT and Persona.  I started with the NES.

trying to remember some other ones that grabbed me back in the old days: full metal panic, eureka 7, code geass, the melancholy of haruhi suzamiya, there are many more but it’s hard to remember. 

Anyway thanks for for making me feel welcome!

• Like 1

I loved seasons 1 & 2 of MHA. Season 3 had some good moments but was a bit disappointing at times. I have high expectations for season 4 in October.

Nakano Hito Genome is weird, but really funny so far.  I couldn’t really get into Index or Railgun, but they also gave a series to Accelerator if you enjoy them.

@Seshi i do like Sword Art Online so Accel World is probably my cup of tea. And I did see Rising of the Shield Hero on those preview lists last season, it's on the list!

My problem these days is the same with both anime and games. I don't have a ton of free time and when I do have some time to myself, I often spend the time trying to decide what to watch/play, and before I know it I'm out of time. I need to sit down and make a list in order, so I can work through my backlogs. Every time a new season starts, I fall farther and farther behind.

• Like 1

If that’s the case, do you have a my anime list account? Or something similar? It will help you to keep that list, as you’ve said so you don’t have to spend your precious little time searching every time you want to put one on.

I myself have a pretty long list in my plan to watch section. 

Edited by Seshi
  • Informative 1

On 7/15/2019 at 7:08 PM, Castigear said:

to give a little more context, gaming wise I do a lot of jrpgs  (which I’m sure is pretty common around here) from FF and Tales to SMT and Persona.  I started with the NES.

Anyway thanks for for making me feel welcome!

First of all a BIG WELCOME to the forums dude!

On another note the other day I was thinking about why I like anime so much and either surprising or unsurprising enough I think it has to do with my childhood of playing a bunch of JRPG's.

I got into anime way late, like age 29.  

JRPG are, to this day, my favorite gaming genre.  I grew up with Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9 and a bit of 10, Legend of Dragoon, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger & Cross, Mario RPG, etc.  Also played Tales of Vesperia and Symphonia,  No No Kuni, and others.

What I think I've come to realize is that anime feels very much like watching JRPG's in movie and show form.  Just a lot of the shows remind me of the worlds and characters I explored in games since I was a kid!

Not to mention I like the drawing style of anime characters and the Japanese inspired worlds.  (I have both Yakuza Kawami 1&2 on the PS4 and can't wait to play them just to explore the setting!  

• Like 2

@Fireduck Yakuza Kiwami 1&2 are sitting on my shelf (and backlog) too.

man I haven’t thought about Legend of Dragoon in ages! I played (and loved) all of the games you listed. As far as Final Fantasy, FF X is when I started to fall out of love with the series. I still enjoy them to an extent, but I don’t consider them the epitome of the genre like I used to. 4, 6, and 8 are my favorites (I know I’m in the minority with 8).

I know what you mean as far as the similarities between JRpgs and anime. Titles like the Tales series, Dragon Quest, and Trails of Cold Steel  even more so.

Edited by Castigear
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Castigear said:

@Fireduck Yakuza Kiwami 1&2 are sitting on my shelf (and backlog) too.

man I haven’t thought about Legend of Dragoon in ages! I played (and loved) all of the games you listed. As far as Final Fantasy, FF X is when I started to fall out of love with the series. I still enjoy them to an extent, but I don’t consider them the epitome of the genre like I used to. 4, 6, and 8 are my favorites (I know I’m in the minority with 8).

I know what you mean as far as the similarities between JRpgs and anime. Titles like the Tales series, Dragon Quest, and Trails of Cold Steel  even more so.

Have you watched the anime K?  Since you said FF8 is one of your favs check out this anime series.  While the story isn't really similar to Final Fantasy the world gave me incredibly strong FF8 vibes!

It feels like the world is a giant Balamb Garden the characters live in!  It's very cool!

• Like 1
  • Awesome (Sugoi) 1

42 minutes ago, Castigear said:

I’ll have to look into it!

Yeah check it out!  I'm curious if you'll feel the same way.  The art style is SO FF8.  Also, without giving spoilers, the outfits the blue's wear also feel like the classic garden uniforms.

Whilst the story isn't very FF inspired it is an extremely unique and exciting story.  Seriously I found the story and music all top notch as well!

If you get around to it sooner rather than later let me know what you think. 😉