Looking for a romantic anime that is not a comedy.

Gorganoth

Hi

I'm looking for a romantic anime that is not a comedy. I absolutely loved Ef - a tale of memories, and now I'm looking for something kinda similar, although the sequel series dissapoints me.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. 

sorry can't ad links or much detail as on the smartphone at work

but maybe try

Anohana : a flower we say that day

or

True lies

also maybe even 

Plastic Memories

Edited by Wodahs

Plastic Memories

Clannad

Kanon

Your Lie in April

Gosick

Kimi no Na Wa (Your Name) (Movie)

All of those are fantastic. With everything above Gosick, you need a mountain of tissues because you will be crying.

• Like 1

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, I'm new to anime so I don't really know any of these shows. 

Is there any of them where the main couple commits to each other fairly early on, with a minimum of 'will they - won't they' stuff?

Edited by Gorganoth

Ehh? So hard since most romance anime have comedy in 'em. But try these:

• Clannad
  • Your Lie In April
  • Fune wo Amu
  • Plastic Memories
  • A Silent Voice

These are my top 5. 

4 hours ago, Gorganoth said:

Thanks a bunch for the suggestions, I'm new to anime so I don't really know any of these shows. 

Is there any of them where the main couple commits to each other fairly early on, with a minimum of 'will they - won't they' stuff?

Do you mean an anime where the couple don't want to fall in love but they eventually do? Or an anime where the guy/girl hurts the guy/girl in some way but they eventually fall in love?

I mean one in which the main couple falls in love with one another, confess their feelings and have a loving relationship fairly early in the series, and where the plot is about the two of them going through their struggles together.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them.

How about Ah! My Goddess?  It's an older anime, but one of my favorites.  While there is some comedy (involving the main protagonist's friends for example), the romance itself is mostly separate from that comedy.  If you have never seen it, I highly recommend it. 

Also, I agree with Kanon.  However, know that Kanon is a "harem" anime that might have been based off of a game, I've never looked into the history of its formation (he forms relationships with multiple girls, it focuses on each one individually as the story progresses). Many relationships develop but you won't have the "couple" lovey-dovey thing going on early in the series.  However, it is one of my favorite anime because it is so beautifully tragic.  I was entranced by that anime when I watched it.  If you do decide to go that route and you enjoy it, consider Air (the summer counterpart of Kanon). 

Maybe try Snow White with the Red Hair as well.  You would be looking at a longer build to the romance, but it is well worth it in my opinion.

Edited by Beocat
added SWwtRH

You might wanna try Diabolik Lovers, since it's so serious. But, I must remind you though, it's a reverse harem and the ending is so confusing and that the manga isn't related to the anime at all.

Diabolik-Lovers-Haunted-dark-bridal-full

Then there's Dance With Devils, which is a reverse harem too.

25376?region=US&size=952x536

I have other recommendations too, but I loved these the most.

Hope that was helpful!!:angel:

• 2 weeks later...

So I don't know what your age is but an older anime that is romance and not rom-com is Paradise Kiss this anime is good. I feel like Vampire Knight is an action romance.  I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head at the moment that is strictly romance.

• Geano locked this topic