Jump to content
Optic

Manga vs Anime

Recommended Posts

Talk about personal preference!

 

My point of view will always be that one cannot honestly put up a comparison on which was better. Yes, it can be easily done and has. But a manga will always have the original story and detailed information. One cannot expect an anime series to have the same elements as a manga. That's just ludicrous. If there is an anime based off of a manga, chances are things were changed or left out for certain reasons or just trying to give it a different spin. It's like books being made into a movie and people always saying the book was much better. I find it fun when you see your favorite manga being turned into an anime and most times the show is pretty decent and sometimes some turn out really freaking amazing. Then there are those moments where you wish it was left on the manga and not animated. The more passionate you are about the manga, the more you'll criticize the anime. That's how I see it. It just depends on your attachment to the manga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Persona said:

Talk about personal preference!

 

My point of view will always be that one cannot honestly put up a comparison on which was better. Yes, it can be easily done and has. But a manga will always have the original story and detailed information. One cannot expect an anime series to have the same elements as a manga. That's just ludicrous. If there is an anime based off of a manga, chances are things were changed or left out for certain reasons or just trying to give it a different spin. It's like books being made into a movie and people always saying the book was much better. I find it fun when you see your favorite manga being turned into an anime and most times the show is pretty decent and sometimes some turn out really freaking amazing. Then there are those moments where you wish it was left on the manga and not animated. The more passionate you are about the manga, the more you'll criticize the anime. That's how I see it. It just depends on your attachment to the manga.

This is a very good point. It's not really a choice to pick between them, because although they contain the same story, like @Persona said, things do get left out when taking a piece of literature, either graphic or text, changes are made to fit the budget and time allotted for a serial or film production.

Personal experience, Shijou Saikyou no Deshi: Kenichi dropped the last two thirds of the story from production and cut off after the final episode of the first complete story arc. I was disappointed because I had also picked up reading the manga and knew that there was more content and the story was only getting deeper and more interesting, to me, at that point. They made attempts at a later time to fill out the series, but never completed it and some of the additional episodes/OVAs/short films, left out a lot of content that made the manga interesting so, that is something I easily picked up on.

Another case in point, the conclusion to the Fairy Tail anime skips about at least a full volume's worth of content that was in the manga at the very beginning, the episode that's supposed to follow the finale of the second series. I wasn't even able to get more than 5 minutes into the episode and haven't watched the new series at all because I was so disappointed that they skipped a really good mini-arc.

While I do understand WHY they cut/change content, doesn't always make the anime or manga better than what it's based on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you would have asked me 5 years ago I would have easily said manga is better in appeals that it's more detailed and more interesting within the characters dynamics but now I couldn't honestly choose between the two I personally love both now and apperciate both equally in their appeal and platform of unique artwork and animation. 

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sassy said:

If you would have asked me 5 years ago I would have easily said manga is better in appeals that it's more detailed and more interesting within the characters dynamics but now I couldn't honestly choose between the two I personally love both now and apperciate both equally in their appeal and platform of unique artwork and animation. 

After reading this I have to agree that anime over time especially in the past 4 to 5 years as certainly caught up to manga in how well the story telling is done as well as character development within said stories. It only adds to the fire of anime just feeling so much more alive then manga. Though with that said manga is a entirely different form of media, and as such should be viewed as a different form of stimuli. It is hard not to compare the two though.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, ArchieKun said:

After reading this I have to agree that anime over time especially in the past 4 to 5 years as certainly caught up to manga in how well the story telling is done as well as character development within said stories. It only adds to the fire of anime just feeling so much more alive then manga. Though with that said manga is a entirely different form of media, and as such should be viewed as a different form of stimuli. It is hard not to compare the two though.

Right excatly it's a comparison that is easily arguable but also easily combined in agreement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sassy said:

Right excatly it's a comparison that is easily arguable but also easily combined in agreement. 

This is made even more true when you consider that some anime is in fact the source content rather then the manga even though this is largely the other way around.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree completely. Of course it depends on the story as well. Most action manga are better experienced as anime for the action parts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, tisu said:

I agree completely. Of course it depends on the story as well. Most action manga are better experienced as anime for the action parts.

Interesting that you mention that as I found I enjoyed the dbz anime more then the dragonball manga as a whole. This was also a true of Yu Yu Hakusho where is  I find slice of life, or romance stories often tend to be better in manga at least for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally i prefer the novel form if available. However I'm not picky on anime or manga if not. I enjoy both the mediums.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly anime keeps my attention longer. I only pick up the manga/light novels of stuff I really enjoyed (e.g. Durarara)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's honestly safe to say the original source will always hold true to the creator's intentions than a project crafted by multiple individuals, every member having a different interpretation from the original's intentions. For example, while manga tells a fuller narrative, the animation brings the movement to life and can give a different experience on the same event. The vice versa also applies (yes there are exceptions when the creator has full dibs on both mediums, but that's rather and most creators never have full authority over their creation, although the odd times this has happened, both mediums tend to be consistent and highly accepted by the consumers). 

 

It's funny because I was recently searching up live action movie comparisons where each film is essentially telling the same narrative but there is still outrage between fans of the original and fans of the adaptation. Obviously cultural context and social significance plays a big part, the dubbing too but the point still stands is that each film, while telling the same narrative, are completed by  two different groups. As such, it's unsurprisingly either staff's interpretation of the films would differ and have different aims/target altogether. 

 

People probably hate this because it's overused but comparing manga vs anime is like comparing apples and oranges. Sure they're both otaku products for consumption much like fruits but the intentions of each one is different. They should be enjoyed as separate experiences and really should be viewed as such. Hey, as long as it was enjoyable, that's all that really mattered no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy reading manga more. My favorite artist is Kaori Yuki and most of her stuff has not been made into an anime series. I love the Deathnote manga. It just strikes me more in a manga format- not to say the anime wasn't good, it was, but I prefer the manga. I also like purchasing manga so I can have the series on hand, literally. Plus, you can go at your own pace with it and go back to read a certain part if you enjoyed it. etc. etc. My vote is manga. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Growing up I did prefer just watching anime more than reading manga back when I was younger because I struggled with reading from mild dyslexia I had. However I did manage to get my reading skills up more where it's easier and enjoyable to read books now. I guess you can say I was a bit against manga for a time since I felt bad about my reading disability I had. I really love reading to the point of myself escaping reality even if it's only for a little while to get lost in a good book and thrown into a world other than the one we live in. So my opinion now is I like both anime and manga. ( though I prefer light novels a bit more to be honest )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2019 at 2:20 AM, HanaApril said:

Growing up I did prefer just watching anime more than reading manga back when I was younger because I struggled with reading from mild dyslexia I had. However I did manage to get my reading skills up more where it's easier and enjoyable to read books now. I guess you can say I was a bit against manga for a time since I felt bad about my reading disability I had. I really love reading to the point of myself escaping reality even if it's only for a little while to get lost in a good book and thrown into a world other than the one we live in. So my opinion now is I like both anime and manga. ( though I prefer light novels a bit more to be honest )

I like how you described that. Thats quite the journey I am sure your quite proud to be able to take advantage of a media that is now way easier to direst now. I am newish to light novels not as familiar with them, but they are growing on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, HanaApril said:

@ArchieKun Thank you for the compliment~

No problem happy reading in both watching anime, and manga as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as my actual behavior it’s pretty one-sided: I’ve watched HUNDREDS of anime series, but have only read probably less than twenty manga series.

From an analytical POV, it really depends. If a series is more action oriented, anime tends to do a better job of reflecting that. If the emphasis is on character development or psycological, manga usually does a better job.

Of course, I think there are more things that can go wrong with an anime adaption. With manga, your own mind supplies the voices. With anime, if the voice doesn’t suit the character or doesn’t seem to reflect the proper mood, it makes it harder to enjoy. Likewise, poor animation quality can be distracting. Though I do find anime’s ability to add music can make scenes more emotive.

Finally, anime adaptions are more expensive to produce, so if there is a lot of source material, it has to achieve a higher degree of popularity to continue the story.  

In all honesty, I rarely bother with manga anymore, though I do have some interest in Visual Novels.

Edited by Ohiotaku
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 8:43 AM, Ohiotaku said:

As far as my actual behavior it’s pretty one-sided: I’ve watched HUNDREDS of anime series, but have only read probably less than twenty manga series.

From an analytical POV, it really depends. If a series is more action oriented, anime tends to do a better job of reflecting that. If the emphasis is on character development or psycological, manga usually does a better job.

Of course, I think there are more things that can go wrong with an anime adaption. With manga, your own mind supplies the voices. With anime, if the voice doesn’t suit the character or doesn’t seem to reflect the proper mood, it makes it harder to enjoy. Likewise, poor animation quality can be distracting. Though I do find anime’s ability to add music can make scenes more emotive.

Finally, anime adaptions are more expensive to produce, so if there is a lot of source material, it has to achieve a higher degree of popularity to continue the story.  

In all honesty, I rarely bother with manga anymore, though I do have some interest in Visual Novels.

I think this is the case for so many for the reason that anime is just far more accessible then manga. Not that one can't find manga, and read it its fairly easy. Though manga like comic bonks, or other graphic novels rare far more of a nich interest. Anime is also the words we are all used to. We say anime con not manga con even though there is always manga at a anime con. I like both equally for different reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted here before but I think for now I'm going focus more on reading manga or light novels for the time being and put watching anime on hold. It's not like I don't like anime no more  It's just.. sometimes hard to watch them with anxiety I have. sadly  But regardless when that's more under control which hopefully be soon then I'll watch more anime.  Plus why not read more since it is good for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 4:04 AM, HanaApril said:

I posted here before but I think for now I'm going focus more on reading manga or light novels for the time being and put watching anime on hold. It's not like I don't like anime no more  It's just.. sometimes hard to watch them with anxiety I have. sadly  But regardless when that's more under control which hopefully be soon then I'll watch more anime.  Plus why not read more since it is good for you. 

I feel ya there at least in terms of reading being a much more calming activity. I can see how it can help with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Anime Forums is where fans from around the world can gather to discuss anime and Japanese culture!  All anime fans are welcome. Take a moment to join us now!
×
×
  • Create New...