Japanese snacks

Optic

Bought some snacks from a Japanese import food shop called Nippon Food Supplies. For the benefit of any other West Australians, this shop can be found in Subiaco, West Perth.

Grape gummy chews and chocolate candy:

japanese-grape-chews-chocolate-snacks-back.thumb.jpg.eee3b882d6c130e9ba181a85ba8755cb.jpg

Rice crackers:

japanese-rice-cracker-snacks-back.thumb.jpg.3cab5319ad4685281167180835d92165.jpg

Unfortunately I can't read the packaging but they did have basic translations on the shelf in-store. >_<

Overall they're pretty tasty. Do you have any favourite Japanese snacks? :)

japanese-grape-chews-chocolate-snacks-front.thumb.jpg.aaa972af4b9da36266d56914ea70d9a9.jpg

japanese-rice-cracker-snacks-front.thumb.jpg.d7267dc8751e0479e3c5c5559e52201b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In all honesty, I can't think of any Japanese snacks that I'm really into. There are these potato chips that have "ume" flavor which isn't so bad...but that's not really saying much. Oh, dried salami I really like, but forgot the brand name right off. That's the main thing I literally snack on here since I love it. Strange, I know. lol I prefer salty or savory snacks to sweet ones.

• Like 1

I must admit, out of all the snacks I tried it's hard to beat the Onigiri rice triangles in every convenience store. (o^.^o)

But onigiri is treated moreso like meal as opposed to a snack. Think of it like a sandwich.

Just last night, when I went to the supermarket, I saw a guy in the next aisle with two onigiri and some cup ramen. Probably for his dinner or something. Very typical too. I've never noticed anyone eating onigiri like a snack, though. More like as a meal, or part of one.

• 2 weeks later...

How bout these?

File:Pocky_logo.png9948395A.jpg.188d59e1f63017f5a81b65f0d7be438f.jpg

Popular Japanese snack you've probably seen in anime from time to time. They sell them over here in Thailand. I grew up with these snacks, I didn't even know they were Japanese till later. Well anyways, these things are delicious! x3

How bout these?

File:Pocky_logo.png9948395A.jpg.4868a1dfe5c62d929dfc4a2801feea42.jpg

Popular Japanese snack you've probably seen in anime from time to time. They sell them over here in Thailand. I grew up with these snacks, I didn't even know they were Japanese till later. Well anyways, these things are delicious! x3

You're making me really want to try those now. Unfortunately, I don't know of any place around where I live that sells them. D: Maybe I'll buy some off of Amazon with my Prime membership so I can get it in a few days. :)

You're making me really want to try those now. Unfortunately, I don't know of any place around where I live that sells them. D: Maybe I'll buy some off of Amazon with my Prime membership so I can get it in a few days. :)

It is the curse of the Pocky! Mwahahaha!

You know, I don't think I've had ramune since my first time coming across ot stateside like 10 years ago. lol

Do drinks count?

ramune.jpg.430e89369e17341ec7119199392486e4.jpg

They started selling these in the international section at my local grocery store, the taste isn't revolutionary but they're pretty good.

Well Ramune is a soft drink, so it probably deserves its in own thread.

Having said that... it's a great novelty drink with the whole marble inside a bottle, a really thick glass bottle and cracking it open - but quite frankly you don't get very much drink out of it to quench your thirst. >_<

wut wut i can finally taste japanese snacks never expect that west perth has that kind of store

To be honest - it's a really small shop. But it's better than nothing. ;)

Well Ramune is a soft drink, so it probably deserves its in own thread.

Having said that... it's a great novelty drink with the whole marble inside a bottle, a really thick glass bottle and cracking it open - but quite frankly you don't get very much drink out of it to quench your thirst. >_<

It's actually a perfect amount for me. I work at a grocery store and get a fifteen minute break halfway through. I used to buy a bottle of coke or sprite, but it's way too much if I don't have anything to eat with it and I don't want any of it to go to waste, so I normally get a stomach ache at the end of break. Ramune isn't too much or two little for 15 minutes... but costs a bit more than coke.

• 3 months later...

Wow! This thread is great ~ I even got one at hand . It is a green tea -flavoured Kit Kat

63oVbka

If you ever go to Japan or Hokkaido to be specific, you should try those Shiroi Koibito cookies. They are heavenly. Crunch but not hard with white choc filling. The filling is just right, not too sweet. Too bad I can't get my hands on them here where I live.

How bout these?

File:Pocky_logo.png9948395A.jpg.ec2bc37472d69ffb4445e80a00012662.jpg

Probably the only Japanese snack I've ever tasted and am aware of. Chocolate's my favorite flavor, naturally, but the strawberry ones can be nice sometimes too.

How bout these? *Pocky Image here* They sell them over here in Thailand.

Ermm...

That's because it's FROM Thailand... It's technically NOT Japanese.

But to be fair, it is popular there. So I guess it still counts.

Ermm...

That's because it's FROM Thailand... It's technically NOT Japanese.

But to be fair, it is popular there. So I guess it still counts.

Pocky (ポッキー Pokkī, Japanese pronunciation: /ˈpɒki/) is a Japanese snack food produced by Ezaki Glico. Pocky was first sold in 1966, and consists of chocolate-coated biscuitsticks. It was named after the Japanese onomatopoetic word pokkin (ポッキン?).

Erm, what?

Erm, what?

Crap, got my Products mixed up.

The Pocky that my grocery store sells is the type form Thailand, so I got confused (It even says *Product of Thailand on the back*. Glico also has a Thailand branch, but is ultimately from Tokyo. I could be wrong about this, but I'm guessing their Thailand branch is in charge of Importing?

Anyways, Forget what I said *Hides behind chair*

• Like 1

Yeah looks like a company in Thailand has the license to produce their own version...

I've tried both. The Thailand one is cheaper but the chocolate is not as good. But the biscuit part was more or less the same.

• 8 months later...
You just can't ever beat Pocky for a classic Japanese snack product famous the world over :)

Last month, they were selling blueberry-flavored Pocky. Sucks I didn't try it.