Anime Home Theatre Project

Optic

• 3 months later...

For sometime now I've been using a Logitech Harmony 900 universal remote which allows me to put away the HDTV and Yamaha amp remotes. The Harmony remotes are great because you can program them to perform a startup sequence so they turn on all your devices and simiarly turn them off when you're done via "Activities".

logitech-harmony-900.png.9261a75f4393e165b4c65425c30520f9.png

However I was still using a wireless keyboard and trackpad to start the Plex application manually and was then using an Apple Remote to navigate Plex. I've now discovered you can actually set an option in Plex which will allow you to start Plex at anytime by pressing the Menu button the Apple Remote.

So I then added the Mac Mini as a device on the Harmony and set it to send a "Menu" IR signal on my "Plex" activity so it will start up automatically. Apple Remote can now go in the drawer too. :angel:

logitech-harmony-900-open-plex-activity-mac-mini.thumb.png.30c45d371573a76ff2e82802bd072563.png

This worked so well I actually had to insert a 5 second delay before sending the "Menu" command to start Plex because the HDTV and app were still warming up, changing inputs, etc. And it seems when Plex starts up in full-screen before the HDTV turns on it results in a skewed resolution..

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Thanks for the kind comments @Nuh1000 and @feelme :)

Alright I'll do this maybe when I'm older and am still a bachelor.

Believe it or not, all the shelving and LED backlighting are all from IKEA. It's very affordable. Unfortunately I can't say the same for the anime figures. >_<

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The anime home theatre has received some upgrades since I last updated this thread.

Firstly, the rear lights have now been replaced with wall mounted IKEA Santir LED uplights, much more moody: ;)

rear-uplights-ikea-santir2.thumb.jpg.d3ce2d19039d7ade07b6f0b995b20a1b.jpg

Secondly, the HDTV has now been wall-mounted. It's so MUCH better now. The only slight hurdle was I had to get a 90 degree HDMI adapter as there was little clearance behind for cables:

right-angle-hdmi-adapter-behind-wall-mounted-hdtv.thumb.jpg.16d0edf53d049ca92560e3c35be2290b.jpg

Finally some extra shelves on the side. They're meant to hold picture frames but work just as well for books and DVDs/BDs:

shelves2.thumb.jpg.a29d685837a4935726a14c62cd8944e2.jpg

And another photo with the main lights out, with just the LED backlighting:

hdtv-wall-mounted-3.thumb.jpg.ee07c92636f1aa1d6bd7eed2aa7e948f.jpg

Just need to fix up the cable management as a finishing touch. :)

rear-uplights-ikea-santir1.thumb.jpg.9b2697e723c1273ebf8e2b75b4a63676.jpg

front-view-lights-on-wall-mounted-hdtv.thumb.jpg.ede63d361e735cd61df202f28291ff4a.jpg

shelves1.thumb.jpg.d1d21744db8f8ee8adb274992ec0c0d4.jpg

Wow, this is impressive, im too stingy to buy TV, and I only have 1 room(2 if you count my bathroom) but I can dream. Thanks for sharing this with us.

• Friendly 1

Thanks @Archer . :)

Wow, this is impressive, im too stingy to buy TV, and I only have 1 room(2 if you count my bathroom) but I can dream.

Even with just one room you can get a nice effect with just the IKEA Dioder LED strips - I used the non colour version for the HDTV backlighting. This one supports lots of colours:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

ikea-led-dioder.JPG.c9c80ec97e85f0ec9f3bf3a574b647aa.JPG

As a starting point you could just stick them behind your monitor, laptop or even underneath a shelf to get a nice backlighting effect. They'll last a long time. ;)

Edited by Guest

Even with just one room you can get a nice effect with just the IKEA Dioder LED strips - I used the non colour version for the HDTV backlighting. This one supports lots of colours:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50192365/

As a starting point you could just stick them behind your monitor, laptop or even underneath a shelf to get a nice backlighting effect. They'll last a long time. ;)

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to look at them when I go for my monthly shopping trip.

• 1 month later...

One day, I will make my own home theater!

one day....maybe....when i'm older.

...Do you think I could borrow your's instead xD

• Like 1

Thanks @Xyro Donatus and @Baka. Also recently received some new Hyperdimension Neptunia wall scrolls. ;) Good to rotate them every now and then.

[ATTACH=full]26570[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]26571[/ATTACH]

Nice wall scrolls!, but a panasonic heat pump!, ouch!

Edited by Guest

• 5 months later...

Freaking awesome room. I'm in love with it. Currently I don't own any anime dvds or poster or anything like that. I guess I'm to afraid to buy paper items like posters and stuff online worried they will get squished on there way to me.

But I have been having the idea of turning my living room into a anime room. For awhile now. Ever since my sister and her fiancee moved out now the 3 bedroom 2 bathroom mobile home is all mine. But all my anime is like downloaded to my desktop and laptop and on a few random flash drives. So there are no figurines or action figures wall scrolls or posters. There is nothing like that.

I guess I'm just more of a butterfly and dragon kind of a women. I will have to do some posters and small pictures in picture frames. I don't want it to anime like. After all when its all downloaded know one really knows your a big anime fan.

I recently painted my walls half the way down from the ceiling to the center of the wall with a kind of tanish paint. And my aunt bought me some really pretty girly wallpaper. So it will be vary girly once finished. And since I spend almost all of my time in the living room rite now I think in here would be a great spot for a anime room.

• Friendly 1

Good job. The theater looks great.

I agree it's better to have the anime locally and not streamed for a better experience. Unless you have very fast Internet.

I've seen home movie theaters but this might be the first time I've seen a home anime theater.

• Friendly 1

Today I decided to stop tinkering around and place all my anime in one place on my desktop so I can start using my plex account also. But I still need to make shore all of my files are named correctly. Which is sometimes a pain in the butt. But I have a program that helps so it wont take me all that long I guess. So far so good. Once done I will post back with the anime movie and episode count. Should be pretty high I'm guessing.

• 2 months later...

I currently have a gaming htpc with projector and full surround sound system with amp

but an thinking on renewing the gaming htpc in the next few months , as I find what you did with the media server/player application interesting , I may look in to this when I upgrade

ok @Optic have some questions on this your HTPC system if I may

1:- do you run a free to air tv card ?

if so

2:- have you tried the tv card thru plex ?

3:- are you a subscriber if so are there benefits ?

thanks

Edited by Guest

Thank you all for your kind comments. :)

I guess I'm to afraid to buy paper items like posters and stuff online worried they will get squished on there way to me.

They're usually rolled up and sealed when shipped so you should be OK there. Larger ones should be in a poster tube for decent shipping protection.

But I still need to make shore all of my files are named correctly.

How did you go with this? I use an application called Bulk Rename Utility. Most titles are named correctly these days so I find myself using it less and less, and only for my anime screenshot galleries.

I agree it's better to have the anime locally and not streamed for a better experience.

Absolutely... there's also the advantage of watching certain series later when they come out on BD. By then they have usually made it sharper or cleaner and there is usually a good increase in audio quality. And also that annoying brightness issue that only occurs on airing titles is resolved.

1:- do you run a free to air tv card ?

No, although there is an antenna coaxial point I don't use it in this room. Strictly for PS4, movies, music and anime. ;)

Having said that I am aware many home theatre setups include TV in their setup, particularly for sports so I can see the need. But the thing is I'm not an avid sports fan, I don't watch FTA TV other than the 6 to 6.30 PM news bulletins in our lounge room for SEVEN News and SBS News, and that's only on certain days depending on my mood.

3:- are you a subscriber if so are there benefits ?

I am a PlexPass supporter, yes. The full list of PlexPass premium features is here. The extra benefits aren't huge, you get the ability to sync your Plex local library onto your portable devices (iOS/Android smartphones and tablets) via the Plex apps. It's pretty nifty as you can watch them offline, might be ideal for long trips, plane trips or even your public transport commute. But admittedly I don't use this feature for the same reason I don't use my handheld devices outside the house - I have to drive most of the time.

There's also another premium feature, better Gracenote and lyrics matching if you add a music library in Plex. Again a nice touch but not my primary use as it's mainly for anime in my case. I figured it was a good product and am happy to keep my monthly subscription going to support the developers.

• 4 weeks later...

well I did become a life time member of plex , now to learn the ins and outs of it and get it setup to work the way I need it to for me

now thinking ,seeing I have some spare late ish type mother boards sitting round I might set up a nas server as well , any suggestions

still having fun with torrent download clients and getting them to mesh properly with every thing else

Physically we got the home theatre looking pretty awesome with wall scrolls and figures and ambient lighting

Oh wow, that room looks super cozy - and the lighting is magnificent! Even without the fancy plex setup, it looks like a real treat - definitely gives off a real 'home theater' vibe as a result of the care given to that sort of detail.

I'm hoping to do something similar at some point, but agh. Too many things vying for monetary attention.

• Friendly 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

well I may be moving on my next htpc build and relegate my current to other things around here as I decided that my MB is capable and I'm embarking on an interest (starting a home business idea I have that involve 3d printers)

so I went out sat and bought a GeForce GTX 1080 Xtreme Gaming Premium Pack 8G as the price was real good and came with goodies like sli bridge as I plan to also run another if not a 1080ti unit

upgrading from a Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 ti , and the new one makes the old look really tiny :P

sooooo now , for some reason thinking I had a 650w psu that (with the right connectors for some reason the new gpu is missing one cable) would suffice for now , buuuutt it was only a 450w psu

so I haven't fitted my new gpu yet and of to get a new psu dur in the week . but will it stop there ?

the new psu I have my sights on , again its a good price and will do for the future build + some is a eVGA SuperNOVA P2 1200W PSU Platinum