Not acknowledging store staff

Optic

You're in a convenience store. Lawsons, 7-Eleven, FamilyMart, etc.

• Many shoppers queue up.
  • They pay for their items.
  • Then leave.
  • Without saying a single word.

Has anyone found this a little strange to get used to? In the Western world we are raised to always greet, make eye contact, smile, be friendly. Whereas this seems cold in comparison.

I admit at first I was saying "arigato gozaimasu" every time I bought something but eventually cut it back to just a "domo".

What are your thoughts?

Actually, thats really common where I live. :P

A few other things that are common are people that use their bluetooth devices, and are really annoying as they are just talking without considering those around them. Also, I have customers that will try to reach in front of me when I'm stocking without saying anything. No "excuse me" or even "could you get that item for me." People are really rude these days.

Has anyone found this a little strange to get used to? In the Western world we are raised to always greet, make eye contact, smile, be friendly. Whereas this seems cold in comparison.

I've actually noticed that this new generation that is being brought up are not being taught this at all, well, at least around here. I would probably blame this on technology as kids these days just see their parents being anti-social, and choose to do the same. Fortunately, for me, things like Facebook only became a thing once I was already halfway through high school. Therefore, it never really integrated into my parents life, much less my life.

I've actually noticed that this new generation that is being brought up are not being taught this at all, well, at least around here. I would probably blame this on technology as kids these days just see their parents being anti-social, and choose to do the same. Fortunately, for me, things like Facebook only became a thing once I was already halfway through high school. Therefore, it never really integrated into my parents life, much less my life.

This is something I relate to as well. I don't own a smart phone, but i notice many kids spending all of class texting. Back in middle school teachers got furious with it, but now they don't care in my latter half of high school.

So yeah, I also blame it on technology. It's been recorded that my generation is the most intervened generation to date, and no one needs to ask why.

In my part of the US, it's actually pretty common for people to speak to each other. It doesn't matter if they know the person at all. We're just friendly. We definitely acknowledge store staff as well as the other customers.

I was raised the same way, so for me not showing or expressing appreciation to store clerks or staff is strange and is a habit I have yet to adopt. I still greet staff and strike up a convo occasionally.

• 2 weeks later...

I acknowledge store staffs. Say thank you after getting the things I bought. Act kind and all. But I don't do anything besides that like making conversations because that would be weird.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of starting conversations or when they try to start conversations with me. I just want to buy my stuff and get out, if I wanted to chat I'd do it with someone I actually enjoy chatting with, not some random person. I get quite irritated when I'm in a check out line and it's getting held up because the clerk and a customer ahead of me are chatting away.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of starting conversations or when they try to start conversations with me. I just want to buy my stuff and get out, if I wanted to chat I'd do it with someone I actually enjoy chatting with, not some random person. I get quite irritated when I'm in a check out line and it's getting held up because the clerk and a customer ahead of me are chatting away.

That would be really annoying. =__=

• 4 weeks later...

I've mentioned this before, but again, it's so common around Singapore. Ironically, the politicians here promote a 'courtesy' campaign very often - fat load of good that did. Most people here kinda just go about their day, and store staff are no exceptions. We pay, we leave. It's a pragmatic country with little time for petty things such as courtesy.

• 1 month later...

I think it's really up to the people, I work as a cashier for some extra cash. Some people really rude. Just drop some stuff on the counter and complain about random things, but most people, are pretty nice, pick up a casual conversation and what not.

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that self-service terminals are becoming more and more common which completely cuts out the cashier.

How do you all feel about self-service? Do you tend to use them as your first preference or you prefer to go for a cashier as much as possible?

I've noticed that self-service terminals are becoming more and more common which completely cuts out the cashier.

How do you all feel about self-service? Do you tend to use them as your first preference or you prefer to go for a cashier as much as possible?

Well antisocial me tries to go to the self-service one whenever possible, but if there's a free cashier nearby I just go them and try not to be awkward xD

Though I've noticed that here too, where I live, before there used to one or two self-service counters but now theres as many as 5, which is surprising since it's taking away the jobs of many people.

Case by case for me. Here in Japan, I prefer going to the normal counter. Back home, it depends on how many things I have and if it'll be faster to use the self checkout.