Jump to content

Orius

AF Member
  • Posts

    852
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

Everything posted by Orius

  1. No chance. No chance at all. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl92wiSMHXk
  2. g'morning :P

    1. Cy~

      Cy~

      Omg, morning?! XD

    2. Orius

      Orius

      Well, nearly noon now. xD

  3. Well, to begin with... I don't really care about my country's welfare, so I'll probably keep the money and fly off to another country if I could get away with it. If not, I'll probably just use a small portion of the money to build some kind of impenetrable vault. Maybe hire some vault experts to build one for me. lol I'm a spendthrift, so it might not even be a small portion. And I also expect a reward. A huge reward. Like an all-expense paid trip to America or something, including funding to get me started on living there as a resident. I want a nice house in New York, Manhattan. A pool is optional, but it would be appreciated (even though I can't actually swim). Did you ever hear the words coming out of your mouth and think, "Where did I come up with this BS?"
  4. You should really put that within spoiler tags. I haven't seen the TV series (only the prologue movie), so I can't say much about it either.
  5. "Five years ago, Stephen King and George Romero, two masters of the macabre, created the hallmark of horror, "Creepshow". Many would argue that nothing of significance has happened since. Until now." - Monologue from "Creepshow 2" trailer So they made another one. Unfortunately, much like most horror sequels, it failed to live up to its predecessor, and then some. Directed by Michael Gornick (his first and only feature length work as a director) and written by George Romero and (an uncredited) Lucille Fletcher, Creepshow 2 brings back the macabre humor you love with three brand new stories... Yes, three, stretched out over a single film. Naturally, it feels like a shorter movie due to that, and the stories aren't even as memorable as those from the first film. I know this because I (probably) watched the whole movie on cable, and the only segment I could remember was The Raft, which I found to be the best of the three stories, even though that's not saying much. The Raft is about three college kids trapped by an alien blob monster on, you guessed it, a raft. There's very little build-up, and the segment quickly jumps to the heart of the horror with the pseudo-blob dining on every kid. I remember being fascinated by the gruesome scenes of human flesh dissolving by this strange, uncanny creature. It was horrifying, yet I couldn't look away. Part of this was attributed to, once again, the realistic practical effects that still look very good today. There isn't any cheesy CGI here that ruins the illusion. The other two stories, however, are less exciting to talk about. Old Chief Wood'nhead was a typical morality play you would expect from Tales from the Crypt and similar shows. Much like Father's Day in the first Creepshow, it wasn't the best way to start the movie. It's quite predictable, there's nothing creepy about it, and the horror bits barely lasted 5 minutes. Then there's the third and final story, The Hitch-hiker. It's another morality play about a hit-and-run victim pursuing the culprit, an adulterous businesswoman named Annie Lansing. Since the woman is both a spendthrift and white, while the victim's black and dressed in a ragged outfit befitting a vagrant, there might have been some metaphor here about social class that I might've missed. Much like The Raft, it's quite straightforward, with almost the entire segment about Lansing running away from the horribly scarred victim. However, unlike The Raft, it's more goofy than horrific, in spite of all the bloody injuries the victim has. The repeated line in this segment, "Nice ride you have, lady!" has became a memorable gag among viewers. Personally, I thought both the line and the story were 'okay'. The wraparound story this time isn't even worth mentioning. I'm disappointed that there's barely any live action shots of the giant venus flytraps. It's all animated, and not very good animation either. I understand the homage to the comic book art style of those horror comics, but it still feels cheap and lazy. Considering that (like the first Creepshow) this was my rewatch of the film, the experience might have worn out for me, which might explain why I sound so bored writing about it. Maybe it's like your two dollar funny papers, or those cheap knockoffs of a dirty magazine back in the day. They were fun for a while as a form of taboo you would read behind your parents' back, but as you grow up, the novelty has worn out and the stories have turned stale. Oh well. They were at least good for a time. ★★★
  6. I try not to care, because it's a pain caring about pleasing others and living up to their standards. Everyone's going to have their own standards on what is appropriate or not. You're going to run your life down trying to live up to everyone's expectations. That said, if I do care about what people think regarding what I have to say, then it's more out of self-interest than any altruism. I would prefer to surround myself with a friendly community, and it certainly wouldn't help to upset everyone.
  7. I used to obsess over Gintama and Detective Conan. I would watch every episode of them. Thankfully, I have much less time for that now. Detective Conan's quality has dropped significantly over the last few years. Even its manga-adapted mysteries have gotten more stale and predictable. As for Gintama, I still laugh at the jokes every now and then, but I might have gotten bored of its brand of humor as well.
  8. Agreed, but I think I'll set a limit to it just in case - let's say three days of waiting before the game moves on by default. As for the timezone, yeah, I don't think it matters if we're gonna wait anyway.
  9. Yeah, I would love to expand on the roles, but I've just experienced way too many dead mafia games to risk going too crazy. lol And besides, we don't exactly have a huge number of players for the first game, so simple is better. Perhaps in the next game... if this one goes well and we get to finish it first, that is. The game will begin tonight by the way. I think we've delayed long enough.
  10. It's still early, so why not have a cup of Creepshow 2? I think I will. :D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFn68-bpAHo

  11. Part of Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments So about half a year ago, I got in the mood for horror movies and sought out lists that ranked the top horror films of all time. One of the lists was a lengthy 100 movie list that features the scarier horror movie moments called "Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments". It was a special documentary aired in 2004 on the channel, Bravo. The thing that caught my interest was the amount of classic horror films they featured - very old horror films. It wasn't just a bunch of millennial films stringed together for cheap promotional value. So, that got me intrigued in following that list to have an excuse for watching some classic oldies, and here we are, on the countdown to the scariest horror films. Of course, I would skip certain movies on the list that I've already watched or just isn't interested enough to watch it, especially the ones I could tell are blatantly bad and a waste of time. That said, first up on our list is #99... The first thing that comes to mind when people saw the trailer to this film would probably be the classic 1989 HBO TV series, Tales From the Crypt. But I doubt a lot of people would know that it was actually a film (released in 1972) before it became a TV series, or even that it was a comic book. Directed by George A. Romero (the godfather of zombie movies) and written by Stephen King (the master of horror literature), Creepshow was inspired by horror comics of old like TFTC, among other similarly macabre strips produced by EC Comics. Those comics contained very disturbing dark comedies, and ironically enough, kids were their biggest audience. Most of the tales would involve a morality play, where a jerk gets his karmic punishment through some fitting fate related to his sins. I grew up almost a decade after both TFTC and Creepshow were a thing, and my introduction to such morbid stories was through The Twilight Zone, and it was not even the original version, but the 2002 reboot with only one measly season. Thankfully, through the magic of cable TV, I caught Creepshow one day (still a child barely hitting puberty), or the sequel anyway, and I was instantly hooked. In spite of having a playful and tongue-in-cheek tone, both Creepshows were very disturbing and gruesome, not the kind of stuff you would expect kids to enjoy. And yet, kids dig this stuff for some reason, probably due to adrenaline rush you get when you get scared. It also helps that the practical effects of the movie look very believable, but seeing as "Night of the Living Dead" Romero is involved, I'm hardly surprised. The first Creepshow featured five stories and a sixth "wraparound" story serving as the prologue and epilogue. One thing I realized as I started analyzing each story separately was that Creepshow works better as a whole rather than the sum of its parts because each story is short and light on content. They are still frightening, don't get me wrong, but they are just more effective when you see them as a package together to build up a series of consecutive scares. Admittedly, some of the segments did lose their flavor, especially because this was either my first or second rewatch. Some of the surprise elements were no longer there. The first story in particular, Father's Day, did drag the pacing down a bit. A dysfunctional family gets together for a dinner on the same day that the patriarch of the family was murdered, the titular father's day. It doesn't take a spoiler to know where this is heading, but I feel like the father was revealed too soon and takes away some of the suspense. The wraparound story also added a second problem: important details of the stories better kept under wrap were spoiled in the prologue, and again, taking away the suspense. The notable exception that didn't suffer from this is The Crate. Even though you already know there's something dangerous inside the crate, the story is still done well enough to keep you on edge, making you fear the fate of the characters approaching the crate. It doesn't jump the gun and immediately rush to blood and gore, but takes its time to build the tension. It's probably the best story out of the anthology in my opinion. Another noteworthy story is They're Creeping Up on You, a very symbolic tale about an agoraphobic with a hatred for bugs - figurative ones and otherwise. This was the hardest part of the movie to watch because it features the insect I'm most frightened of - the cockroach. Just the sight of one made my skin crawl. Surprisingly enough, when they were all gathered together into one unrecognizable flood of roaches, they actually looked less creepy. Go figure. The epilogue was also quite fun to watch. As part of the unnamed wraparound story, it's about this kid whose father threw away a Creepshow comic book because he didn't want him reading that "horror crap". Naturally, a lot of kids could probably relate this to their own parents wanting to protect their children from the dangers of horror fiction. Being one that isn't always close to my own father, I have to admit it's kinda amusing watching what that kid did to his father. It's something you'll just have to watch for yourself. As you can tell, I had my share of fun rewatching this film. In fact, I was so excited to watch this tonight, and the sequel too. There's just something exhilarating about being horrified that I still don't fully understand today, but it always makes for a fun movie experience, especially with a series as playful as Creepshow. ★★★★
  12. Naughty naughty, Kirry. I can't have my puppets seeing the strings before I've even tugged on them.
  13. Nectar cookies might be too sweet though (that's essentially honey, right?). I've got enough for my share of diabetes.
  14. It looks like I got over-excited when I posted about finally being able to play Madoka PSP. Turns out it's still not fully translated...

  15. And I need you now tonight! And I need you more than ever! Why is '80s music SO GOOD?! https://youtu.be/lcOxhH8N3Bo

    1. Frost

      Frost

      Because Bonnie Tyler is life. Glad to see someone appreciates 80's music.

  16. I'm a 27 year old man, and I'm not ashamed to sing along to this song! lol And look! Powerpuff Girls was an anime before it became an anime! lol
  17. Uptown girl. She's been living in her uptown world. https://youtu.be/hCuMWrfXG4E

    1. RyePotatoes

      RyePotatoes

      Myyyyyyyy Goooosh! My mum's been playing this song like every time were in the car! XD

    2. Frost

      Frost

      This is actually one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite artist. Love Billy Joel

  18. It's Katrina & the Waves! Ow! I'm walking on sunshine! Whoa oh! https://youtu.be/iPUmE-tne5U

  19. Come on, shake your body baby, do the conga! I know you can't control yourself any longer! https://youtu.be/RBM3RlgjhQQ

  20. She bangs! She bangs! Oh baby when she moves! She moves! Ah, classic Ricky. https://youtu.be/5ihtX86JzmA

  21. Aimee Mann - Wise Up (Magnolia Soundtrack) It's not what you thought When you first began it You got what you want Now you can hardly stand it, though By now you know It's not going to stop It's not going to stop It's not going to stop Till you wise up You're sure there's a cure And you have finally found it You think one drink Will shrink you till you're underground And living down But it's not going to stop It's not going to stop It's not going to stop Till you wise up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_goEernujW8
  22. Don't speak. I know just what you're saying. So please stop explaining. Don't tell me cause it hurts. https://youtu.be/TR3Vdo5etCQ

  23. 4 Non Blondes - What's Up. Great song ruined by a meme... https://youtu.be/6NXnxTNIWkc

  24. Classic song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrIiLvg58SY
  25. Knife, cuts like a knife. How will I ever heal... lol https://youtu.be/JUyzH9HpkqE

×
×
  • Create New...