Jump to content

Orius

AF Member
  • Posts

    852
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

Everything posted by Orius

  1. Orius

    Ask Zin

    Favorite Pokemon game?
  2. Have you seen the trailer for the upcoming "Murder on the Orient Express" remake?
  3. Is your signature from an anime? What about your profile cover?
  4. Boo, you ignored my last question. :'( Oh well, it wasn't exactly a serious question anyway... so here's one for you: What do you think of... Zootopia?
  5. Do you like 'deep' movies? Do you have trouble understanding them? I ask because I referred The Bunk to you when he asked me about Coen Brothers movies.
  6. Will Sekky and Scrooge ever be reunited?
  7. Nothing like having a good meal and taking a nap thereafter. :D

  8. I'm assuming you're referring to Fuko's After Story arc when talking about the second ending... right? Like I said, it's been a really long time, so I had to Google what is even the second ending of Fuko. lol Didn't know there were two different ends. Erm, care to refresh my memory again what's the second end? Woo, good question! But I'm afraid you asked the wrong movie fan, and you might be disappointed at my answer. See, I've known of the Coen Brothers' reputation for a long time, but to be honest, I just wasn't really interested in the more "artsy" side of movies, even if I do occasionally watch one or two. For the Coens, I did watch one work of theirs - and it wasn't even one of their more serious works, since they claimed to have written it as a diversion for their writer's block while working on Miller's Crossing. Yep, I'm talking about Barton Fink. I was really interested in this one because it talked about the angst of a writer (a writer working for Hollywood if you want to get specific). It reflected a lot of my phobias and anxieties while writing my stories. The thing about Coens' work, while I have only seen one of them, I do like their heavy use of symbolism in their story. You could never really tell what their story is truly about. I believe that if you show a Coen movie to a room full of people, you'll get at least two different interpretation of what it means. For Barton Fink, I alone had two different interpretations walking out of that movie: 1. The more straightforward interpretation, a struggling writer being swayed by the greed of Hollywood, and 2. It's about Nazis and fascism, specifically how the left-wing Barton had sold himself out for, supposedly, "the common man". But I have to admit that I got that second interpretation only after reading Roger Ebert's review. I was never really good at interpreting these kind of movies. Based on that movie alone, I could say I am interested in seeing more of their works in the future, particularly the popular No Country for Old Men. What I ultimately think of such '2deep4me' movies is that they can be amusing to interpret, to think about what it all means and how it fits into our mundane lives, but I'm afraid they just won't really land into my top favorite spots because I would be too confused to have an emotional impact. It doesn't help that Barton Fink had a rather cynical ending, one which I won't spoil here. There are certain allegorical films that have heavy symbolism but managed to be straightforward and entertaining enough to resonate with me, however, like Alex Garland's Ex Machina, a movie I really loved in spite of not understanding it all. So there it is, my opinion of the Coen Brothers. Apologies if it's an underwhelming answer. lol Go ask Cy~ instead about the Coens. I've got a feeling she might have the intellectual prowess to provide a more interesting response.
  9. While you're waiting, you guys might as well discuss whom the next person you would want to vote. That way, the voting process will go along faster when the actual round begins.
  10. So, how do you feel about being falsely exiled? :naughty::naughty::naughty: I'm sorry, I just can't help it. LMAO
  11. Hourou Musuko, period. It's THE LGBT anime. Well, sort of. It's more into cross-dressing (with children) than it is into homosexuality.
  12. Yes. Yes, they will be able to post. It's not fun if you're kicked out of the game just because of some virtual vote or kill. You'll not be able to vote, but you'll still be able to discuss about the Traitor as a spectator like Cy~ did. And besides, just because you're exiled or killed doesn't mean you know the truth. The truth is out there! Speaking of which... the resulting vote is: zin - 2 Scrooge - 4 Sekky - 1 I'll announce who is killed off tonight... along with whether if Scrooge is the Traitor. I figured I better wait for tonight, when everyone's more active. Now that everyone has voted, however, I'm afraid I have to tell you that ALL VOTES ARE SEALED. You can't change it anymore! Mwahahahahaha... Ho boy, you've made a terrible mistake. ESPECIALLY YOU, @zoop! I've warned you! LOLOLOLOL
  13. Fair enough. Whatever you say, zoop. Whatever you say. I just hope you don't come to regret those words.
  14. Awww, and here I am, trying to give a more fair playing field with my above post. Pish posh.
  15. You can still change your vote before the end of those three days limit or before the final voter casts their vote - whichever comes first. So for those having doubts about casting so much suspicion onto Scrooge, you can still save an innocent!
  16. Especially when that final voter is the most likely to be voted out at the end of this round... :naughty: God, I love my job.
  17. zin - 2 Scrooge - 4 It's funny how only these two received the blunt of it. Gotta love how the others, Kirry, zoop, Sekky, Nectar, etc. were left outta the votes.
  18. What is out of place is ultimately subjected to the kind of people you have in the room. For example: a thread with people beginning to talk about music from the '70s and the '60s. In comes... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjVQ36NhbMk I'll just repeat what @Cy~ said - I'll be the only person here like me, posting sappy millennial pop songs. What's funny is that, a lot of people I know would dismiss the above song as another typical pop song you would hear nowadays (even though it's technically listed as "alternative rock") without really listening to the lyrics. Shame. Here's another example of a pop song with heartfelt lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gH476CxJxfg
  19. Part of Bravo's 100 Scariest Movie Moments #98 "It's hard to take zombies seriously nowadays." That's a sentiment shared by many but the most hardcore horror cult enthusiasts today. With the birth of the steroid zombies (which doesn't make much sense as the living dead, considering how stiff the dead body can be), and especially with self-parodies like Zombieland, we are made aware of the fact how easy it is to outrun a rotting corpse. It's basically the same as outrunning Sadako from Ringu! Still, Zombi 2 made a good case for why we should still fear the zombie. A lot of the deaths here are caused by the victims' carelessness and their lack of awareness. Most of the time, the zombies would pop out of nowhere like daisies, catching you by surprise. But despite these creative monster-kills, there's still a prevalence of cheesiness and budgeted production that a lot of scenes tread the "so bad it's good" territory. While most of the acting is passable, the characters can at times have some really terrible reactions to the zombies that it's hard to not laugh at their deaths. One of them was practically taking her sweet time turning her head towards the zombie behind her! And while the famous eye-penetration scene was just as disturbing when I've actually seen it in the context of the movie, most of the practical effects are incredibly dated and hilariously bad. Of course, I understand that the movie does have certain unique "charms" of its own that led to its cult following. For starters, there are sharks fighting zombies in this movie (try saying that with a straight face). There's also a number of out of place focus on naked bodies, seemingly for shallow eye-candy value. The plot, however, is one aspect that I could truly praise without irony. The involvement of voodoo magic in a zombie movie hearkens back to ancient Haiti legends of the living dead where zombies were slaves raised from the dead by evil shamans, a powerful symbolism of the Haitians' suffering as slaves even after death. Unfortunately, Zombi 2 didn't exactly delve too deep into such black magic lore and merely retreated to more familiar grounds by the end. So as unique as certain aspects of the movie can be, I personally couldn't see it as the instant classic everyone seems to hail it as. ★★★
  20. zin - 1 Scrooge - 4 Now would be a good time for Scrooge to make a defense, but I have an itching feeling it might be too late for that...
  21. zin - 1 Scrooge - 3 Now that I think about it, the game might end faster than I had intended if, after each round, someone will be exiled by vote, and another player will be killed. So 7 will drop to 5, then to 3, and then possibly to 1 in a matter of three rounds (which is 9 days in total). That's a pretty short game. lol
  22. Orius

    Public Patience

    Yeah, I can't tolerate the public either. I'm very prickly when in the public, especially when dealing with people working in the service industry. (I'm beating a dead horse at this point since I've already told Kohloo about this through a PM, but for the sake of this thread, I'll say it again.) I try not to be a snob whenever I can, but when dining in a fast food restaurant, I kinda expect a certain level of professionalism when part of your job description is "customer service". I didn't come into your restaurant for your attitude. I understand it sucks to work there as I've personally experienced myself, but hey, you picked the job, not me. There are better job offers out there if you don't like it. Pays a lot better too. I guess it's kinda like what Kohloo said in her post, me becoming one of the city folks. Nobody really cares about each other down in the streets. We don't say hello to each other. We don't greet our good mornings. It's one big cesspool of indifference, and I've been influenced by that poison enough to join them. Despite what good things you might hear about Singapore, living here as a citizen for 27 years, I can tell you that the sunny city can be quite cold. I try to go about my business whenever I can. I don't hate the public. I just couldn't give a s***.
  23. Orius

    Shyness?

    I used to have much more trouble talking to new people face-to-face. I'm doing a lot better nowadays, but I still won't talk to a stranger unless he (and especially she) talks to me first. I could have a normal conversation and make some small-talk like a normal person, but I'll still (very often) put my foot in my mouth, saying some of the most awkward conversation-killers. This in turn makes me want to open up to strangers even less. I've tried a lot of things in the past to fix such social awkwardness, from therapy to self-help social anxiety groups. None of those really helped much. I'm terrible at small talk, even online. Unless it's a topic that I have something to contribute, i just don't know how to be funny or interesting, which led to the aforementioned conversation-killers. So in a social outing, I would be that one guy that talks very little and easily forgettable. It's one of the main reasons why I'll never, never ever participate in a voice chat with any of you, ever. I'll just make a fool of myself anyway, if not feeling terrible at the end of the day for being practically invisible. Ho boy, my anxiety is triggering now, isn't it? Gotta stay calm... *inhales* See, online, when it's not live-chat or a chatroom, I can just about say anything I want because there's no active party that I'm currently talking to. Until I hit that "Post Reply" button, the things I'm saying is isolated from an audience, making it much easier to talk freely. With that said, I can still be self-conscious when writing these posts if I find them to be unsatisfying or incoherent (in conveying the point I'm trying to make). In fact, I had to rewrite this very post 5 minutes ago. I've always been self-conscious this way. My peers tried to tell me this, my school counselor tried to tell me this, but I wouldn't listen because I was too prideful (and also because I was in denial). I pay a lot of attention to what people think about me. It's hard to change. In fact, right now, I'm thinking about how I would look if I submit this very post, just constantly whining about how screwed up I am. And yet, in the end, I would always submit them anyway, perhaps out of some subconscious to seek attention. Now that I think about this, maybe I'm an emotional masochist as well... Hm. Unsurprisingly, I'm not really shy among my peers. When anyone is in a familiar environment long enough, he or she would probably get used to it and eventually open up to the others, which is what would always happen to me. Shyness, I guess, is a defensive mechanism, especially in my older years. It's not really accurate to call what I feel today "shyness", as it's more like "avoidance", a desire not to get hurt. But no matter what, I will always let my guard down and open up in the end. I've learned in my many years of avoidance that it's an inevitable cycle. Humans are just too dependent on social interaction. It's like our need for food and water. I just can't suppress that need, no matter how hard I've tried. Anyway, I don't want to dampen yet another of your thread, Cy~. I've already done enough damage at the Father's Day thread. So I think I'll just leave it here for now.
  24. Orius

    Father's Day?

    The same thing I do on Mother's Day - nothing. I shouldn't have to explain my relationship with my parents, for those who know me well (or just paid attention to my posts at all). My mum would force me to greet my father with some cheesy "Happy father's day", and I would have to awkwardly form those words outta my mouth in a very soft-spoken voice. I hate having to say such insincere words. Sigh.
×
×
  • Create New...