Jump to content

Orius

AF Member
  • Posts

    852
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    6

Everything posted by Orius

  1. I really liked this song when I first saw it in the movie, 5 Centimeters Per Second. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJmvvZk4C1A Fits the bittersweet tone of the story very well. Love that ending.
  2. Yeah, that's about the gist of what I was getting at, that there are still good movies out there, just not over at Hollywood. Like I said, Hollywood is not cinema, but Hollywood is clearly getting stale and formulaic.
  3. Oh yeah, since Mars Terra brought up that cliche, it reminds me... Deus ex Machina One of the oldest and most overused tropes of all time. Whenever there's an important character that's about to be killed, at the VERY last minute, he's rescued by a very convenient plot-device that popped outta nowhere. What a cheap way to save someone. Oh yeah, and surprisingly, the one anime that committed this sin was Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. Imagine that.
  4. Fell asleep in my chair. lol Think I might turn in earlier than intended tonight. :P Or maybe not... @[2178:Cy~] has quoted me in the forum. lol

    1. Cy~

      Cy~

      Go to sleep. o3o We'll be around, tomorrow~

    2. Orius

      Orius

      lol Too late for that. The concentration I had to put into that reply to you in that thread has woken me up enough. xD Nothing like a good debate to keep you awake. Hah.

  5. You're kinda repeating the same thing I just said. When I said that Hollywood's heavy marketing attracted the dumber audiences to pay for bad movies, I meant exactly that. Both Hollywood and the audience are at fault here. Hollywood for not recognizing that what's popular isn't necessarily quality, or even a proper gauge for "good art". Then again, I truly believe that all Hollywood cares about is making a profit and doing business. It's not necessarily a bad thing. It's just business and how Hollywood operates, as much as I dislike it. It's just how the working world works. It's not "good" or "bad". It's just against my own values of artistic integrity, though I could understand the pragmatism to make money regardless of creative intent. Then again, with how subjective movies can be, I suppose it is rather self-righteous to call them "bad movies". I don't know. I don't want to sound like some Siskel wannabe snob. I want to love fun mainstream movies by the way. I'm not one of those uptight artsy fartsy pretentious douchebag who only thinks movies like Citizen Kane are the only worthwhile movies. My favorite movies are all mainstream movies, some of which are rather shallow popcorn entertainment (looking at you, Independence Day, as good as your characters are)! But it's not my place to dictate what is the proper gauge for a good movie. All I could offer is an opinion, as biased an opinion as anyone could offer, about what I like and dislike - objectiveness be damned. To answer your question, I don't think there's really a good response. I'll piss off Hollywood executives either way by going against everything they stand for - making money for money's sake. That doesn't mean I'm right and they're wrong. It just is. An opinion.
  6. I really hate watching bad movies. Yet, out of completionist OCD or morbid curiosity, I've decided to watch the third entry in the Creepshow series that rapidly declined in quality with each film. Creepshow 3 follows a similar format as its two predecessors with an anthology of tongue-in-cheek horror. However, neither George Romero nor Stephen King were involved in the production this time - and boy, is it obvious. While Creepshow 2 was rather boring, you could tell it at least has a professional production value. In contrast, Creepshow 3 had really sub-par writing that either fell flat or just went over-the-top to the point of being cheesy. The Creepshow series had always been silly, but this third entry reached the level of self-parody. Due to such mediocre writing, the journey to discover the plot-twist of each tale can be exhausting, and the twists weren't even worth the effort. I would write more if there's any redeeming value in this film, but there's very little entertainment value to be found here, so I feel it's not only been a waste of time watching this, it will be a waste of time writing about it too. All I'll tell you is to stay away from this third entry. Stick with the spiritual sequel instead, Tales from the Darkside: The Movie. ★★ Edit: Actually, I'll just add something else here: the writing is an absolute insult to the works of Romero and King. It's as if some paid intern wrote this crap. A notable scene I remember involves a professor reminiscing with his students how they used to debate, and I quote, "the theory of evolution". I really can't imagine any self-respecting professor would go, "Hey, remember how much fun we had talking about the theory of evolution?" Seriously, which professor would say it in such an uneducated manner? It just sounds so contrived. Stay far away from this film.
  7. Thanks to the effort of the mods, the '80s and '90s threads are now combined into one huge nostalgia thread consists of all oldies music. That also means I could post something from the '70s... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92cwKCU8Z5c
  8. Probably either Older Than They Look or Artistic Age.
  9. Finally! Hououin Kyouma is back! Arguably the best moment in Steins;Gate 0. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx0fKrf5Wr8
  10. Have a little Nine Inch Nails for your day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNrnjyuD4fE
  11. Yes, indeed. Can't wait for the kill. Tee hee hee!
  12. One more day till Sunday (or Saturday for you folks), the same day when we had that 'wild night' the week before. :P

    1. RyePotatoes

      RyePotatoes

      I don't want to miss it like last time xD

    2. Orius

      Orius

      I just hope I don't fall asleep. Might need a lot of caffeine. xD

    3. zoop

      zoop

      Cy~ and I should be active in a few hours, once we return from a brief hiking trip we're heading out on in a few moments.

  13. Detective Conan Make it grittier, give it a 'hard-boiled detective' vibe with a noir atmosphere. Throw away those silly comedy stuff and give a sharper focus on the fight against the Black Organization. Also, update Black Org. members to be more intelligent while adding depth to their characters. I don't want them to be just shallow knock-offs of the "shadow organization" cliche, which they kinda are right now. Give them a grander, more relatable motivation. Make the motive socially relevant, like Japanese isolationism. Make them morally ambiguous. Madoka Magica Get rid of Homura. Just kidding. There are very few changes I need to make here, but perhaps I would've added... hm, or maybe take away... no, that doesn't work. Okay, can't make changes. Madoka is perfect the way it is. Death Note [spoiler=Plot Spoilers]Don't kill L. Simple. Just do what the first two (much better written) live action movies did. Corpse Party: Tortured Souls Extend it to a full-length series instead of an OVA. Make it a 12-episode anime at the very least. Include extra OVAs to feature the bonus storylines that were in the "extra" routes of the game. Keep Sachiko's sympathetic ending from the original OVA. Do NOT include the opening scene from Book of Shadows like Tortured Souls did, because that was just out of place. Pokemon Replace the protagonist every two or three seasons as needed. SIMPLE. *millions of kids cheer in the background* That includes Pikachu. *even louder cheer in the background* Also, make the protagonists the same people you played in the games, ala Red, Ethan, Brendan, etc. I don't get what's so difficult about this. A ten year old could come up with this stuff. Digimon Stop making sequels. The originals were good enough. If you want to make sequels, at least do it right like tri. (sorta) did. tri. still needs improvement though, 'coz that was just disappointing. Also, make "X-Evolution: The Series" a thing. X-Evolution was easily the best Digimon movie ever. This would turn around the Digimon franchise like Casino Royale did for the Bond franchise. School Days, Umineko no Naku Koro ni, any poorly adapted anime from VNs FOLLOW. THE. STORYLINE. Take notes from Clannad as needed.
  14. Just a small update: I've updated the rules on the first page to reflect the recent information about making a public vote here, and about the game moving on in three days regardless of everyone having voted or not. I've also added a "Deceased" and "Exiled" section for those many deaths and outcasts to come... Finally, since I haven't exactly clarified on this matter, the way you place your vote is by simply bolding and underlining the person's username you want to vote, i.e.: Orius. By the end of each session, I'll count the names listed in such a fashion. This has also been added to the rules on the first page. Since I haven't seen any names listed above this post in any context that might describe a vote, I'll also assume that no vote has been cast so far. If you've already voted, and I've missed it, please vote again in the aforementioned format. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.
  15. Nooooo! My glow! Quick, Robin! To the AFmobile!

  16. It was so hard to get out of bed this morning, with those fluffy-soft pillow and bolster sucking me in with their all so comfy cushion...

    1. Kohloo

      Kohloo

      How did you managed to get out of bed? I would have been too weak

    2. Orius

      Orius

      Sunlight and the thought of how little time I already have each day. :P

  17. This. And it's the only anime obsession I still have today. Whenever there's a new Madoka-something, I would have to check it out (like that Concept Movie that was recently released). By the way, MadoSaya is the true ship.
  18. Oh yes! The ketchup song! LOL That song's gonna be stuck in my head for the rest of the week. My favorite Eminem song.
  19. lol I thought it was quite obvious, considering that I specifically said that you're allowed to act out your character as you vote. Why would you act out your character in secret? Also, Mafia is such a well-known game I thought people would already know the basic rules. There was rarely a secret voting, if any.
  20. Orius

    Upcoming Movies

    I'll admit that I haven't seen Flatliners in a very long time, so my memory could be faulty. But from what little I could remember... at least four stars out of five. I remember that there were a lot of emotional scenes in there that were well-written.
  21. Nope. You can just post them here, hence the point of picking a character and roleplaying them as you vote.
  22. XBox One X... What a great naming. Meanwhile, PS4 thrives without a care. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-yzsJivA0Q

  23. Microtransaction in a nutshell: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8ayD71cXYs
  24. The former. If three days have passed, or if everyone has voted, the voting rounds would automatically come to an end. It's flexible, of course, so anyone who hasn't voted by three days still have a few hours left.
×
×
  • Create New...