What are the benefits of watching anime?

franklampard1992

One benefit is that I've learnt a lot about the history and culture of a country I'm never likely to be able to visit.

I've had a few dark times over the past couple of years and watching anime has never failed to lift my spirits and been good for my mental well-being.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Animedragon said:

One benefit is that I've learnt a lot about the history and culture of a country I'm never likely to be able to visit.

I've had a few dark times over the past couple of years and watching anime has never failed to lift my spirits and been good for my mental well-being.

These are definitely some good benefits ^
Some benefits I gained from watching anime are quite common in most otaku's/weebs 

• You can visit new worlds - enhanced imagination 🤯
  • Definitely enhanced emotions, depending on what you watch
  • If you're an Artist, anime is great for creativity 🤓
  • It's awesome for building communities - such as Anime Cons - Amino - Social Media - Friendships
  • Nostalgia - if you're an 'oldtimer' such as our lovely fellows @Ohayotaku@Otaking66lives@efaardvark@Wodahs, watching older animes can bring you a euphoric-like nostalgia, and even youngins can feel this as well - I can certainly say that older animes make me feel nostalgic! 😌

I would say the big thing is connecting with others...anime was something that wasn't super big awhile back - but now it has brought communities together and built new ones! So I would say that is the biggest thing, is finding a new family within anime! 😁

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, deaaath said:

i dont know about the others but even tho im among the oldest here there is nothing nostalgic for me in anime

hell i didnt even know of this media until around 2014/16 when i happened upon it late at night aired on a gov funded national tv broadcaster (the abc) here which of all things also prompted me in to online gamming even tho i had been in to home gaming and pc's for a long time (so ive only really known bout anime about the last fifth to sixth of my life)

as the first anime i saw was of cause SAO (or for them that dont recognize that sword art online) and my first mmo being Tera

a few Studio Ghibli movies aird after SAO and i was feeling revived as i had grown stale of the generic movies being pumped out of hollywood for some time st this stage anyways and the (to me) apparent lack of acting ability actors had become
where i had grown up with actors throwing them selfs so much at a roll that they went as far as even learning accents to become the roll they played where i now find an actor will sound and seem the same no matter what roll they find them selfs in

so with my transition in to anime at that time the more i watched this new media outlet i found the artists able to bring their characters to be the roll as i had seen in the movies bringing animes more to life than current day actors could do in most films

Edited by Wodahs
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

There are lots of different reasons. I enjoy it for one, that's a big reason. :).

I like a lot of Comedy animes. I watch animes to laugh, mainly.

But I like some more serious ones from time to time. And sometimes I learn things. For some reason I hate sports IRL but love sports anime, so I know way more about sports than I would otherwise. One of my favorite anime, Yakitate!! Japan, taught me a lot about bread, and I'm sure there are other things too.

But yeah, I also have Aspergers, and I obsess over things and the past, so while I've been trying harder lately to force myself to watch more new anime, I am generally more likely to go re-watch something I've seen a million times, for comfort.

• Like 1

I've always been into nerd culture. Doctor who, Star Wars, Babylon 5. I also was into games, abd since I was a kid I had a controller in my hand. 

I got into anime much later on, but it hits that same spot. And as a lot of the above stuff as changed in directions which I personally fine un-fun. I find I have literally decades of anime to shift through to find the stuff I didn't watch back then but still resonates with what I like in the media I am nostalgic for. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depending on genre, anime is also usually presented in a more dignified and wholesome sort of way that makes it safe to watch with kids around. No more having to worry about bad things being pumped into the little kiddo's grey matter. Just use some discretion and common sense with all the stuff marked "ecchi" or "hentai" and everything should be okay.

Edited by Kōyamaki

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

Anime gives you a reason to sit in your room all day without having to talk to real ppl 🤢🤢

I'm not sure that that's actually a benefit. 🙂

But then again if you live a busy life taking time out to relax and watch anime somewhere where there's no people demanding a piece of your time can be good. 😎

• Like 1
  • Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can only speak from my own experience, but after watching Reign: The Conqueror I really was fascinated with the real Alexander the Great. Obviously I knew the Platohedron wasn't real, but that anime sparked my love for the actual historical figure. Maybe there's a benefit to historically based anime/characters in that way for others? I mean, I'm just one guy, so it must've been similar for more people. That's just my take on the benefits of anime.

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

• 1 month later...

If you’re interested in the Japanese language anime can be decent exposure and listening practice. Of course you have to be aware that not every character talks like a real person. Some characters will add words that would never appear in an actual Japanese conversation. When it’s natural speaking though I find it very useful. I just have to focus on hearing the sentence first before reading the subtitles. It’s actually helped me remember certain grammar patterns and phrases.

• 2 weeks later...

I find anime is a good ways to relax after a long day, especially a light hearted slice of life. It's also good for inspiration for things like drawing and writing. Pretty much anything, to be honest.

Personally speaking, anime has also gotten me through some really dark times and I'm very grateful for that 😊

• Like 1