Do anime fans also like Pixar & Disney animation?

phoebefett

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate all other forms of animation, but on the other hand I don't really like Pixar/Disney's style of animation. On a technical level Pixar/Disney's 3D CGI is very impressive, but to me the characters come across as cartoon characters and lack any sense of being 'real' people and once the movie is over so are the lives of the characters in it. While with the vast majority of anime I've seen when the movie or series is over I'm often left with the feeling that I've shared part of the lives of the characters and that somewhere they are still living their lives. Someone once said that the reason behind this is because anime characters are created in a similar way to characters in a book, and of course many anime start out as manga, where the book's author has gone to great lengths to make their characters as real and believable as possible.

• Informative 1

11 hours ago, phoebefett said:

Genuinely wondering. My brother is a fan of Japanese anime, however, he hates all other types of animation content like Pixar/Disney etc. Wondering if this is common? I like Japanese anime and am also a fan of Pixar.

I'm not against other forms of animation as a principle - however Disney and Pixar movies are more focused on a very young child and family audience and I watch Anime for interesting stories, good fights and the likes so I guess those two producers of western animation don't really appeal to me. However for example the DC series from the early 2000s, and that He-Man from 2006 and some of the later Clone Wars (2008) episodes and storylines wasn't that bad and was pretty enjoyable because they have a sort of shounen vibe to them I guess. 

• Informative 1

14 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say I hate all other forms of animation, but on the other hand I don't really like Pixar/Disney's style of animation. On a technical level Pixar/Disney's 3D CGI is very impressive, but to me the characters come across as cartoon characters and lack any sense of being 'real' people and once the movie is over so are the lives of the characters in it. While with the vast majority of anime I've seen when the movie or series is over I'm often left with the feeling that I've shared part of the lives of the characters and that somewhere they are still living their lives. Someone once said that the reason behind this is because anime characters are created in a similar way to characters in a book, and of course many anime start out as manga, where the book's author has gone to great lengths to make their characters as real and believable as possible.

that is exactly what my brother said! about anime characters being more "real" and relatable. you make perfect sense...it is true that the manga authors spend so much more time crafting the characters. i just like some of Pixar's heartwarming storylines (like UP or TURNING RED). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MediaConsumesMe said:

I'm not against other forms of animation as a principle - however Disney and Pixar movies are more focused on a very young child and family audience and I watch Anime for interesting stories, good fights and the likes so I guess those two producers of western animation don't really appeal to me. However for example the DC series from the early 2000s, and that He-Man from 2006 and some of the later Clone Wars (2008) episodes and storylines wasn't that bad and was pretty enjoyable because they have a sort of shounen vibe to them I guess. 

thanks for sharing your perspectives! it is true that Pixar/Disney's topics or themes may be limited and somewhat "conservative" given their main target audience (family). let me check out He-man!!!

16 hours ago, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

I like both! I wouldn't really sit down and put on a Disney/ Pixar movie myself, but if somebody else were to do that I would probably watch the movie.

ohhhh. fair!! my brother is just an extreme case i guess 😅

I like all forms of animation because it gives the content creator(s) more freedom to share their vision than a lot of other forms of media.  It is also cheap enough that more content creators can share their visions.  Visual media such as animation is also more accessible to content consumers than other media, such as books/text.  (I love books too, but text does require that people know how to read, and have an imagination that can animate the story internally.)

That said, I typically dislike content from companies like Pixar and, especially, Disney.  Their stories are like something put together by committee, filtered through political-correctness focus groups, greenlighted by the accounting department, etc., etc.  Certain topics, characters, and situations are forbidden, even if they add value to the story.  Their content is always, always more concerned with the bottom line and corporate image than telling/sharing a good story.  I often get the feeling that the only reason that there is any entertainment value at all is because if there wasn't any then there wouldn't be any profit to be made either.  The best that can be said for a lot of it is that it is technically well done.

Not to say that I think all anime is great of course.  In fact, I'll put it on the record here and say that most of it is not.  A lot of it is crap and not even worth the time to watch it.  A lot of it is low-budget, and it shows.  But when it is good it is really good.  The best anime is not something that would have ever even been allowed at someplace like Disney or Pixar.  With anime I don't feel that there's a lot filtering/distortion (aka censorship) going between me and the author(s) like I do with a Disney production.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 1/26/2023 at 7:13 PM, Animedragon said:

that was one of the key "arguments" i was having with my brother, he basically said anime = relatable, and Pixar= cartoon HAHA

• Like 1

I like some of the older stuff from western animation. I obviously like the Pixar and Disney that I and alot of other kids grew up with, but I wouldn't sit down and watch it myself now. Stuff like the 81 Heavy Metal, older American cartoons are actually pretty good themselves. I might just be a hipster dork but alot of newer anime, and western animation just isn't that good in my opinion. Obviously they had bad stuff in the 80's 90's and 2000's but age sort of filtered those things into obscurity.

• Informative 1

On 1/27/2023 at 1:26 AM, phoebefett said:

thanks for sharing your perspectives! it is true that Pixar/Disney's topics or themes may be limited and somewhat "conservative" given their main target audience (family). let me check out He-man!!!

Here's the intro, it was actually form 2002 - I was working off of memory before. It an updated version of the original show, with a little more plot but its no HxH or Fate. Still it more in the vain of Clone Wars (2008), and The Batman Animated Series. I think I watched a fair bit into season 1. At least it not as bad as the Netflix rebooted version - cause that almost went down as well as that new Velma show.