japanese Mythology and Anime: What confused you?

Clayton

So who here is familiar with Japanese mythology? Because if you aren't you are missing out on a lot of what's in anime. 

For example in the 80s we were all pretty uninformed and thus we thought Mario was turning into a raccoon, rather than a tanuki. So we had no freaking clue why he could fly or turn into a statue. 

565d501f984b642c969a20694f008db5cfe92cea

If you think tanuki are weird/confusing, imagine an anime that combines them with rakugo (traditional Japanese storytelling as an art form & form of entertainment)spacer.png

https://myanimelist.net/anime/49533/Uchi_no_Shishou_wa_Shippo_ga_Nai
yes, I actually watched the whole thing. Definitely odd, but also kind of charming & even a little educational about Japanese culture.

Butt don’t even get me started on kappa :P 

Edited by Ohayotaku

Technically Journey to the West is Chinese mythology, but I love the folksy feeling that those influences bring to the the original Dragonball.

Pokemon also has a lot of references to yokai, kami and Shinto, even though it originated from a fascination with collecting bugs.

And speaking of bugs, Mushishi. There's all sorts of folk mythology that inspires the the creatures Ginko handles, though I don't recall any off the top of my head based off of the more famous myths.

Journey to the West took place in China and India, true, but it's famous in all of Asian culture. And it's the basis for a lot of anime like Siayuki, scenes in Yu Yu Hakusho, and many others. not to mention new shows in america even. The fact is everyone should read it. 

And yes Shinto is important in Anime is is frankly a far better religion than Christianity. 

I do find it annoying how few American kids understand the significants of a nine tailed fox. Adults too for that matter. As for pokemon a Raiju... 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 11:27 AM, Clayton said:

I do find it annoying how few American kids understand the significants of a nine tailed fox. Adults too for that matter. As for pokemon a Raiju... 

I mean not a lot of people know the mythology behind other cultures. I doubt a lot of Japanese understand or care about the Jewish significance of the golem despite it being a relatively common enemy in JRPGs.

Mythological creatures are such a broad topic that sometimes its difficult to tell what is the contemporary creator's imagination and what isn't. I find that particularly to be the case with Ghibli films. Is there some giant-bug beast the Ohm are based on, or did Miyazaki just think it'd be cool to have giant bugs?

22 minutes ago, kamomesan said:

Mythological creatures are such a broad topic that sometimes its difficult to tell what is the contemporary creator's imagination and what isn't. I find that particularly to be the case with Ghibli films. Is there some giant-bug beast the Ohm are based on, or did Miyazaki just think it'd be cool to have giant bugs?

Like Mushishi where the creatures aren’t traditional yokai, but they have a similar feel to them. Or stepping away from asian culture, you can see the influences of Beowulf & Arthurian legends in J.R.R. Tolkein’s works, but he basically “created” a distinct mythology that has been referenced and copied over & over in RPGs & fantasy anime.

Edited by Ohayotaku

On 9/11/2023 at 7:37 PM, kamomesan said:

I mean not a lot of people know the mythology behind other cultures. I doubt a lot of Japanese understand or care about the Jewish significance of the golem despite it being a relatively common enemy in JRPGs.

Yes, but you have to admit, if you're into pokemon as deeply as some people, you should knwo the monsters they're cased on. Drowzee for example is based on a creature called a Baku that eats dreams. 

EPhrf88VAAAnJYH.jpg

Edited by Clayton

Blue Seed has the legendary dragon Orochi & the god Susanoo as antagonists.

Peach Boy Riverside draws on the fable of Momotaro.

Various yokai play prominent roles in Gegege no Kitaro, Ushio & Tora, Kemono Jihen & In/Spectre.

tsukumogami (inanimate objects that have acquired consciousness or a soul over time) are featured in Malevolent Spirits Mononogatari & Tsugumomo.

The fable of the Red Onj & the Blue Oni is the inspiration for Rem & Ram from Re:Zero. Other famous characters based on oni include Lum from Urusei Yatsura & the ogres from Reincarnated as a Slime.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 12:14 AM, Clayton said:

Please, elaborate

sorry i was on holiday for a few days.

Ehh never mind mate. it is just a lame joke. I always make a point on this forum that we should watch the latest anime since graphics and storylines have grown. I make a subjective comment like post 2005. I can ellaborate more if you like. But NOWWW<..time to watch the anime i missed last week haha. I dont watch to many running shows,..so will be fast