Tabletop and Board games

Clayton

So what are your favorite board games and Tabletop games, that require no electronics? 

I remember Candyland, TMNT, Chess, Checkers, Clue, Yugioh, Monopoly, Dungeons and dragons, Blackjack... 

Edited by Clayton

I loved Candyland tbh, that was one of my faves when I was really little. I also liked a game called Life, and Monopoly, Pokemon card games/Yugioh, there was a game called break the ice I played a lot too and Clue + Guess Who.

• Like 1

When I was a kid, Candyland and Monopoly were the main ones I liked playing.

These days, my two personal favorites are Carcassone and Hive. Small World is a lot of fun too, and it's even better if you have more players. If you play with the right company, Cards Against Humanity also makes for a quite amusing time.

My favourite board game is called "1829" it's played on a map of England and Wales which is printed up with a hexagonal grid. The object of the game is to buy and build your railway, you do this by buying shares in a company and when you become the majority shareholder you can lay track and buy trains, the track sections are on hexagonal tiles which you place on the map. When you run a train you have to decide how to take the revenue it earns, you can either declare a dividend which means that you and every other player who has shares in the railway company gets paid, or you can take the revenue in company credit which you can use to buy more trains. If you declare a dividend the share price goes up, if you take company credit the share price goes down.

The winner is the person with the most money at the end of the game, which happens when the bank runs out of money. But it's not that simple to work out because your money total is calculated by how much cash you have plus the current value of all the shares you own. Company credits are worthless and don't count.

The rules are quite complicated and the game can last anything up to eight hours. I haven't played it for years because I can't find anyone mad enough to spend eight hours playing a board game!!

Encuentro secreto (Secret Rendezvous) · Strixhaven: School of Mages (STX)  #26 · Scryfall Magic The Gathering Search

On 1/2/2024 at 4:15 PM, Sakura said:

I loved Candyland tbh, that was one of my faves when I was really little. I also liked a game called Life, and Monopoly, Pokemon card games/Yugioh, there was a game called break the ice I played a lot too and Clue + Guess Who.

Candy Land

• 1 month later...

I used to play a lot of tabletop RPGs, like D&D, though not that ruleset so much as the Fantasy/Hero rules.  Also Space Quest (Tyr, not Sierra) and especially Traveller when we were in a SF mood.  I also owned pretty much every MicroGame that came out.  My favorite there was Ogre. (Plus the sequel/update GEV and the lighter Rivets.)

Unfortunately all that pretty much ended after ‘82.  I graduated HS and the gaming crowd I played with dispersed into adulthood and went their separate ways.   This was well before the ‘Net became generally available - not even email - so that was kind of the end of the tabletop gaming era for me.

Personal trivia fact.. my “efaardvark” handle is a holdover from those times.  “Bersig” was usually my main character name in fantasy RPGs and “efaardvark” was for the SF ones like SQ.  When online gaming became a thing I started using “efaardvark” because it was usually available.

8 hours ago, efaardvark said:

I graduated HS and the gaming crowd I played with dispersed into adulthood and went their separate ways.

This is kind of what happened to me, only it was after I left university. That time was pretty much the height of my tabletop gaming. I would still play today if I had a crowd of folks that were willing and able to play occasionally on days that I didn't have to be at work. Every now and again, I'll look around online for board game events nearby, but they are usually over an hour away, and sure enough, take place on nights that I have to be at work, 9.999 times out of 10. Guess playing them online is the next best thing I can do, but nothing can beat playing them in person.

That's pretty cool about how your U/N came to be. I've wondered about that at times. At first, I thought the "Ardvark" part was the skeletal horse's name from Skyrim in the Soul Cairn. After checking, it appears I was mistaken. The horse's name is Arvak. Fairly close, but not quite. xD

• Like 1

Inspired by this thread I decided to go looking for some of my old gaming materials.  After taking appropriate precautions (mask, flashlight, food for a week, signal flares, holy water, etc.) I dug through my closet.  Remarkably, I did manage to not only survive and find my way back but I even came back with a few of the desired items.  This in spite of being ambushed and distracted by a box of books I hadn't seen in ages.  (I set a couple of them aside for later. :D )

Spoiler

Unfortunately I did not find Ogre.  I don't remember but it may have succumbed.  Microgames weren't the most robust in the first place - basically folded paper in a plastic baggie - and Ogre was one of the ones played quite frequently.  I did find GEV and Rivets however, along with a number of other microgames and my original Space Quest rulebook.

IMG_2683.thumb.jpg.8f19c4cd10805a9daa9baed8557fbd4a.jpg

Spoiler

I also found my original boxed set of Traveller rulebooks, plus a couple of supplements.

IMG_2681.thumb.jpg.3833c755a046aae161649bb164467b97.jpg

Fun times.

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2024 at 8:03 AM, Otaking66lives said:

I'm also playing Dungeons and Dragons as well as Vampire: The Masquerade 

there's aa list of things to do if you ever become a vampire

I will not, for any reason, learn a musical instrument other than piano, and even that's iffy, because it could lead to my insanity and/or death.

If I do learn the piano or harpsicord, I will never once play the Appassionata, no matter who requests it, because that could lead the reader's insanity and/or death.

I will not chop up my victims and place their bodies in seperate dumpsters all over town. That kind of violent murder is sure to bring about a visit of said victim's ghost and we all know why that's a bad idea.

I will not start a rock band with lyrics bad enough to wake the almost-dead.

I will never trust anyone with an awkward name like "Ralgan" or "Memnoch." This person is sure to be the villian.

I will wear cool medieval or 18th Century clothing, despite the fact that I was born in the 1980s. Admit it, it looks better than jeans. ^_^

If I start out as a vampire, I will not tell a long-winded story of how it happened, especially if it closely resembles the stories of others. (How many different ways can you really get a vampire to give you his/her blood?)

If I become a vampire during the series, I will not feel guilty about killing my victims. Humans are evil too. They deserve it and they're going to die sometime anyway.

I will not go into the theatre business. No acting for me, thanks. I'll stick to webpages and writing.

I will not refuse gifts or other things from beautiful men (or women), especially the vampires.

I will not work for the Talamasca. I don't trust them, especially that David chap.

I won't bother to try and collect the life stories of the vampires. Everyone all ready knows enough about the main characters, and I don't really want to interview Eric.

If I am human, I will learn how to use a sword and carry it with me at all times. Humans always seem to get caught up in something and I refuse to be helpless, damnit.

Just because I'm a girl does not mean that I will be a nun or other religious fanatic. Unless, of course, I get to be Lestat no Miko (Priestess of Lestat). Then I will comply.

I won't become an alcoholic to gain sympathy.

If I am a vampire, I will not fall in love with mortals for no apparent reason.

I will not make anyone under the age of 19 a vampire. This does not work, ever.

I will not be a bar fly. I will have an active life and make myself a main character. I will not be forgotten after one book.

If I am made into a vampire, I will not try to trick my mortal family into thinking nothing has changed.

I will not get a dog or a bird. I will get a cat. Cats are nice and can take care of themselves.

I will not hang out in churches at night and light candles. I will have better, more plot-moving things to be doing all night long.

If I am a vampire, I will sleep in a coffin. I don't care if thick window blinds are enough, coffins are more fun and more appropriate.

If I am a villian, I will not try to beat Lestat. It's obvious that nothing is going to kill him. I'll go after the ones I don't like, such as David.

I will never be a vampire hunter. This is not Buffy the Vampire Slayer or the crappy movie that shares its name with the 3rd Vampire Chronicle.

I won't go searching around Europe to find more vampires. I will go to Japan or China, since the plot twists in England, Italy, and France are getting old.

Edited by Clayton

• 1 month later...

I like to play common ones such as chess, checkers, uno, monopoly, the game of life, chinese checkers or I remember also candy land. I also like card games such as go fish or poker and the card games Pokemon or Yugioh. I wanted to learn how to play magic the gathering or dungeons and dragons but never have the opportunity yet. I still like to play scrabble and battleship also. 

• Like 1