Characters that liked each other but didn't end up

I was just thinking about several anime pairs who clearly care for each other but never quite make it official. Take Riza Hawkeye and Roy Mustang – duty to their country keeps them apart. Then there's Violet Evergarden and Gilbert; their love is tragic, with Gilbert choosing to stay away for Violet's sake. Mikasa and Eren also come to mind – their different paths keep them apart. And Maka and Soul stay firmly in the friend zone, focusing on their growth and partnership. These stories show that sometimes love isn't about being together, but about sacrifice and personal growth.

But I still ship them 😭

first thing that comes to mind is kawoshin.,. i mean, they had a full on love-confession, both kaworu and shinji saying they loved the other. they were THE doomed yaoi. the only reason they didn't end up together is mainly yeah because of lore and that no matter what they will never have a good ending, but also the homophobia that continued on from the original show to the rebuilds too. pretty pissed about that, it feels like they're jingling them infront of our eyes like parents do with keys infront of toddles

Tsubaki Sawabe and Kousei Arima is the first in my thoughts. I also thought of Roy and Riza in Fullmetal as you mentioned already. Tai and Sora in Digimon also made me sad when I watched it because he had a lot of feelings for her but she was interested in Matt. 

Hatori x Kana in Fruit Basket 

Inuyasha & Kikyo (even though they were together in the beginning it just didn't work out where they got to be together)

Naruto's crush on Sakura but I guess he ended up good because of Hinata I still kinda wanted to see that relationship happen since he had feelings for her.

Suzu and Euphie in Code Geass kinda broke my heart. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sakura said:

Hatori x Kana in Fruit Basket 

Inuyasha & Kikyo (even though they were together in the beginning it just didn't work out where they got to be together)

Naruto's crush on Sakura but I guess he ended up good because of Hinata I still kinda wanted to see that relationship happen since he had feelings for her.

Suzu and Euphie in Code Geass kinda broke my heart. 

Actually Kikiyo reincarnated into Kagome, so they did end up together. 

And Sakura did offer to be with Naturo. 

Are we talking a series end where they do not end up with anybody at all or just one person gets disappointed in love?

7 hours ago, Clayton said:

Actually Kikiyo reincarnated into Kagome, so they did end up together. 

And Sakura did offer to be with Naturo. 

I guess I don't really consider Kikyo as ending up with Inuyasha since Kagome states over and over in the anime that she is -NOT- Kikyo and gets angry when people mistake her as Kikyo. And there is the whole episode where .....

Spoiler

Kikyo dies.

Which I felt bad about since I actually liked her despite the fact most people didn't really.

& Sakura lied to Naruto when she "confessed" so I guess I don't really count that either, especially since they never dated or ended up together despite Naruto crushing on her most of the show. When she did confess Naruto called her a liar and told her he hated people that lie to themselves I think if I remember correctly. She was only lying to him to get him to try to stop pursing Sasuke. 

Posted (edited)
On 5/21/2024 at 8:32 PM, Sakura said:

I guess I don't really consider Kikyo as ending up with Inuyasha since Kagome states over and over in the anime that she is -NOT- Kikyo and gets angry when people mistake her as Kikyo. And there is the whole episode where .....

Reveal hidden contents

Kikyo dies.

Which I felt bad about since I actually liked her despite the fact most people didn't really.

& Sakura lied to Naruto when she "confessed" so I guess I don't really count that either, especially since they never dated or ended up together despite Naruto crushing on her most of the show. When she did confess Naruto called her a liar and told her he hated people that lie to themselves I think if I remember correctly. She was only lying to him to get him to try to stop pursing Sasuke. 

And Kikyo often claims she is not Kagome. Still that Shiikon Jewel in her soul would beg to differ. 

Anyway Sakura and Naruto did both get somebody. 

Edited by Clayton
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Clayton said:

And Kikyo often claims she is not Kagome. Still that Shiikon Jewel in her soul would beg to differ. 

Anyway Sakura and Naruto did both get somebody. 

I get why they were so adamant about not being each other though since they did live 2 totally separate lives and even came from different timelines. I wouldn't want someone telling me I was past me if there was a past me walking around lol 

I was kind of glad Naruto/Sakura didn't even up together anyway because I think they work better with Saku/Sasu and Naru/Hina. Especially with Hinata since she liked Naruto since.. ever lol