What Did You Do In Gaming Today

EnviousEnvy

In the tail end of Dark Cloud but it has played out as expected. Every character seems to have a floor they need to clear and as a result, I had to make a detour for weapon repair kits. That being said, only two characters are left to do with only one that would be a big problem. I just hope his weapons are strong enough to proceed as is. We will see. I foresee being stuck with one more detour to fish to free up inventory and get more weapon repair kits.

Adventuring in Dark Cloud has been tedious, but I still continue. So far everything has played out as expected. I had to take a fishing detour and try and build up more weapon repair kits. I am down to the final character’s solo level so of course his weapons are not strong enough. So I will have to grind this out by getting more weapon repair kits. After this floor I expect one more floor to finish Seda’s memories and then the final battle. If Ruby can consistently deal damage, it should not be an issue. I may need to get some healing items at that point though. For now, finishing the final solo floor will be the focus.

I finally finished up the character specific floors in the Gallery of Time in Dark Cloud. The amount of time it took was outrageous. But, everything after that was simple so I am now up against the Dark Genie. I only did one attempt but made it to his second phase. I will get some more healing items but since Ruby can be used, this should hopefully be his last week.

For Samurai Warriors 4, I am continuing to train characters. I made some progress in Nightmare mode with Toyohisa and Yoshihiro, and got Munenori some growth in Hard mode.

I also got some more progress in My GM mode in WWE 2K23, though Dakota Kai refused to resign with one of my brands which was annoying.

Dark Cloud is finally done. Three total attempts to beat the Dark Genie and I tried out the post game dungeon and completed a floor. Looking back on the game, I would not go out of my way to play the sequel but if I came across it,  I would play it.

Dark Cloud is the most tedious game I have played in a while. It has had the most resources to manage for sure. Weapons can break, you can lose health from thirst, and have limited inventory space. The story is very bland as the core story is very basic and uses time travel to make it interesting. This does not happen until the end of the game though. None of the party members are relevant to the overall story minus the main character and even his role is small. Meanwhile characters like Xiao and Ruby only get a couple of scenes. Not good.

The battle system itself is fun and customization is expansive but not user friendly. There is no way an enemy should be able to block my attack and take 15 weapon health making me lose a weapon I worked on for 40 hours unless I reload the save. The scaling of how many weapon attachments are provided is not to scale with the weapons found. This does force using multiple weapons, but enemy scaling is unforgiving for this.

The environment building mechanic is a fun idea, but wastes a lot of time as towns have to be built a certain way to get the reward and that would not align with how a player would build the towns. Fishing is frustrating too with finding specific fish.

But I had some fun with the game, it was not all bad. Tales of Graces is up next.

Edited by Daxter

Built a mud pond in minecraft for making mud and then turning it into clay.  In my case I'm thinking of making bricks for a fireplace & bbq pit.

Spoiler

On the bottom is a 2-deep pond of water.  You put down a layer of dirt then take a bottle and just move over the dirt filling the bottle from the upper layer of water and applying it to the dirt to turn it into mud blocks.  Once you've turned it all into mud then you take the mud and spread it out on top of the dripstone blocks.  After a while it dries into clay and you can break the clay for clay balls or clay blocks.  The blocks can be run through a furnace to make terracotta.  The balls can be turned into bricks.
2023-12-12_21_05_53.thumb.png.05092fb1f3104782a60072cf42c8296d.png

• Winner 1

In Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on my Switch I've collected the necessary items to get Squall's Punishment weapon which is the next to last weapon of his in the game. For Quistis, I just need one more item to get her Save The Queen chain whip which is her strongest weapon. I do plan on getting Squall's Lionheart gunblade on disc one, but I won't be able to get the last items until later on in the story. Right now I'm just playing a bunch of cards with people to collect cards I can refine into necessary items for the weapon upgrades for each character, or the ones I'll be able to get as soon as they join my party anyway. Probably the most time consuming will be the 12 Pulse Ammo needed for Squall's Lionheart ultimate weapon upgrade. Thankfully I can refine 10 Elnoyle cards into 1 Energy Crystal using Card Mod to turn the cards into items, then I need to use Ammo-RF to refine those Energy Crystals into 12 Pulse Ammo. It takes a while to even get 10 Elnoyle cards though just for 1 Energy Crystal, but it's not like I've got anything better to do with my time. lol

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

10 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

In Final Fantasy VIII Remastered on my Switch I've collected the necessary items to get Squall's Punishment weapon which is the next to last weapon of his in the game. For Quistis, I just need one more item to get her Save The Queen chain whip which is her strongest weapon. I do plan on getting Squall's Lionheart gunblade on disc one, but I won't be able to get the last items until later on in the story. Right now I'm just playing a bunch of cards with people to collect cards I can refine into necessary items for the weapon upgrades for each character, or the ones I'll be able to get as soon as they join my party anyway. Probably the most time consuming will be the 12 Pulse Ammo needed for Squall's Lionheart ultimate weapon upgrade. Thankfully I can refine 10 Elnoyle cards into 1 Energy Crystal using Card Mod to turn the cards into items, then I need to use Ammo-RF to refine those Energy Crystals into 12 Pulse Ammo. It takes a while to even get 10 Elnoyle cards though just for 1 Energy Crystal, but it's not like I've got anything better to do with my time. lol

It is good to hear the grind is still going well!

Started Tales of Graces F yesterday. A lot of fun up to this point. I started on the third difficulty as I felt optimistic and early on, it seems easy to break the game. There is a mysterious girl in the party whose identity has not been revealed, but I spent so much time experimenting with the battle system that she learned a skill that references her name.

There seems to be a lot to explore in a player friendly way, and customization seems expansive and meaningful which I like. A perfect start!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daxter said:

Started Tales of Graces F yesterday. A lot of fun up to this point. I started on the third difficulty as I felt optimistic and early on, it seems easy to break the game. There is a mysterious girl in the party whose identity has not been revealed, but I spent so much time experimenting with the battle system that she learned a skill that references her name.

There seems to be a lot to explore in a player friendly way, and customization seems expansive and meaningful which I like. A perfect start!

I've been wanting a Tales of game for my Switch. I don't really know if it's even available for that system, but would you recommend Graces F if it was?

2 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

I've been wanting a Tales of game for my Switch. I don't really know if it's even available for that system, but would you recommend Graces F if it was?

So far, absolutely! It seems that each title is standalone so you don’t have to worry about prior plot. For this one in particular, combat is very forgiving and straightforward, exploration is easy, and customization is expansive but transparent. Plus, multiple difficulty levels that can be changed at any time.

Pc - (Nothing fancy just a cheap old bulid with a donated gtx1070)

Operation harsh doorstop (not bad for a free to play fps) 
Ghost Recon Wild Lands - campaign - trying to play on extreme difficulty with no hud and perma death, which is fun but hard.

really looking for recommendations for mmorpgs anime or fantasy style games for an ageing noob like myself. 

• Wow 1

I also got the Distant Horizons mod working.  Again.  :D  My brother updated the server to 1.20.4 less than a day after I finally got the alpha version of DH working the last time under 1.20.2.  That broke it again and I had to find some time to put things back together.  Finally got a round tuit yesterday after work.  Planning to play/test it some more this weekend.

Spoiler

Believe it or not this is with the render distance set to 5!  Everything beyond that is Distant Horizons doing the rendering.  DH's render distance is set to 512.

2023-12-15_12_00_41.thumb.png.c845c870a952d5df5df835f700640682.png

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Daxter said:

So far, absolutely! It seems that each title is standalone so you don’t have to worry about prior plot. For this one in particular, combat is very forgiving and straightforward, exploration is easy, and customization is expansive but transparent. Plus, multiple difficulty levels that can be changed at any time.

Nice! I've already given my Christmas list to mom though and I can't remember if I actually put the name of a Tales of game on there or not. Even if I didn't, I can always get Graces F on my birthday early next year. ^^ I love RPGS.

• Winner 1

5 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

Nice! I've already given my Christmas list to mom though and I can't remember if I actually put the name of a Tales of game on there or not. Even if I didn't, I can always get Graces F on my birthday early next year. ^^ I love RPGS.

Same, my favorite genre!

• Cool (Kakkoii) 1

In Final Fantasy VIII Remastered I finally decided to go to the Fire Cavern to get Ifrit and start having him learn all of the abilities I can get him to know while leaving room for Ammo-RF and Mad Rush to pop up when he reaches level 10. Otherwise they won't come up until I make Ifrit forget a couple of abilities to make room, which won't happen until I can get my hands on Amnesia Greens and would just be counter productive. I don't even know if I can get Amnesia Greens in Balamb, so I think I'll just leave room for 2 more abilities to appear at level 10 for Ifrit. I can't remember if it's possible to fill out both pages of his Learned Abilities, but I don't think I want to find out this time. lol

• Winner 1

On 12/16/2023 at 7:56 PM, Wild Emotion said:

In Final Fantasy VIII Remastered I finally decided to go to the Fire Cavern to get Ifrit and start having him learn all of the abilities I can get him to know while leaving room for Ammo-RF and Mad Rush to pop up when he reaches level 10. Otherwise they won't come up until I make Ifrit forget a couple of abilities to make room, which won't happen until I can get my hands on Amnesia Greens and would just be counter productive. I don't even know if I can get Amnesia Greens in Balamb, so I think I'll just leave room for 2 more abilities to appear at level 10 for Ifrit. I can't remember if it's possible to fill out both pages of his Learned Abilities, but I don't think I want to find out this time. lol

That is great you have started to advance!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Daxter said:

That is great you have started to advance!

Thanks! ^^ Though I plan on collecting Triple Triad cards to get the items I can from the people in Balamb Garden for the better weapons for everyone so I'll have the items ready for the best possible weapon upgrades. I'll get the other items I need to get from using Mug on monsters and the item drops from certain monster encounters in the forest area between the two canyon walls just before going to Galbadia Garden. There's also Anacondaur monsters in the bigger forest that's nearby so I can mug Dragon Skin from those and get Dragon Fang from Grendel in that one patch of forest between the two canyon walls just before heading into Galbadia Garden's territory. So, I think collecting the other items needed for the weapon upgrades that needs a number of both of those rare items an I can just Card Mod the Minotaur card for 10 Adamantines, too. I think Quistis also learns White Wind from one of those, but my knowledge of that particular Blue Magic item for her is a little hazy. If not then I'm not sure what other item teaches her that. ^^;

• Winner 1

13 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

Thanks! ^^ Though I plan on collecting Triple Triad cards to get the items I can from the people in Balamb Garden for the better weapons for everyone so I'll have the items ready for the best possible weapon upgrades. I'll get the other items I need to get from using Mug on monsters and the item drops from certain monster encounters in the forest area between the two canyon walls just before going to Galbadia Garden. There's also Anacondaur monsters in the bigger forest that's nearby so I can mug Dragon Skin from those and get Dragon Fang from Grendel in that one patch of forest between the two canyon walls just before heading into Galbadia Garden's territory. So, I think collecting the other items needed for the weapon upgrades that needs a number of both of those rare items an I can just Card Mod the Minotaur card for 10 Adamantines, too. I think Quistis also learns White Wind from one of those, but my knowledge of that particular Blue Magic item for her is a little hazy. If not then I'm not sure what other item teaches her that. ^^;

Sounds like a great plan, keep us posted!

Oh, I forgot to say that I obtained Ifrit a while ago. I've been having him learn some abilities right now, but after that is when I plan on collecting Red Dragon cards from Dr. Kadowaki so I can finally refine Flare for Squall and Quistis more than the mere 80 I have for Squall right now. I still need to give on getting Quistis some though. Then I need to save 50 Inferno Fangs for when I have a third party member so they won't be left behind as far as that goes. I've managed to get the Low, Mid and High level magic for Thunder, Blizzard, and Fire. I got the Third level magic of the three from items I refined from cards though. Hexadragon, Snow Lion, and Blitz. Hexadragon cards took longer though because I could only refine 1 Red Fang from 3 Hexadragon cards. Totally worth it though. Funny part was I crushed Ifrit with 3 hits. lol I might level up just to make things tougher because I don't want to necessarily breeze my way through the game. That wouldn't be very rewarding.

• Funny 1

4 hours ago, Wild Emotion said:

Oh, I forgot to say that I obtained Ifrit a while ago. I've been having him learn some abilities right now, but after that is when I plan on collecting Red Dragon cards from Dr. Kadowaki so I can finally refine Flare for Squall and Quistis more than the mere 80 I have for Squall right now. I still need to give on getting Quistis some though. Then I need to save 50 Inferno Fangs for when I have a third party member so they won't be left behind as far as that goes. I've managed to get the Low, Mid and High level magic for Thunder, Blizzard, and Fire. I got the Third level magic of the three from items I refined from cards though. Hexadragon, Snow Lion, and Blitz. Hexadragon cards took longer though because I could only refine 1 Red Fang from 3 Hexadragon cards. Totally worth it though. Funny part was I crushed Ifrit with 3 hits. lol I might level up just to make things tougher because I don't want to necessarily breeze my way through the game. That wouldn't be very rewarding.

Yeah you are overpowered for sure, but it is a nice reward for your preparation! Unless you go out of your way to level up, you will be set until the last quarter of the main game with what you have now.