Jump to content

efaardvark

AF Member
  • Posts

    3,122
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    258

Everything posted by efaardvark

  1. I tried previewing Kowloon Generic Romance today. Three episodes and I still have absolutely no idea what this one is about. Can someone tell me if it's worth it to keep going? Without spoilers of course.
  2. I've encountered a bit of that during "long" (>1hr) VR sessions. I've been told that it comes from underpowered setups. VR is pretty demanding. You need 2xHD displays running at a minimum of 90 frames per second and the head-tracking needs to sync up with what's being shown on the displays on the order of milliseconds. 50 milliseconds is considered to be the maximum latency for head & eye tracking but certain sensitive individuals can get dizziness, headaches, or motion sickness with as little as 20 milliseconds latency. 20ms would correspond to roughly 2 frames at 90fps so that means that if you move your head then the computer needs to detect that movement and incorporate it into the video being displayed in less than 2 frames. This is over and above any compute / display power the game or whatever app needs for itself. Apparently when your brain sees an image with motion in it it will try to predict where the things in motion will be in the next frame(s). If it doesn't see them where it expects them to be then it takes the differences as you moving, but then your ears and body give your brain a message that they're not doing that and things get confused. Too much of that and you start getting dizzy or even motion sickness. That or the people trying to sell me the gear are trying to upsell me. But I do believe that's at least part of it. For me it hits the worst when I'm trying to play a game and things start lagging. Even a tiny amount of lag that I'd normally never really notice when playing on a monitor can bring on a bit of dizziness in VR. On the other hand I've never had a problem when I'm just wandering around in one of those museum-type 3d walk-through setups where the scenery is mostly static and I'm just walking around looking and not making sudden weird head motions dodging things and shooting back.
  3. Yeah. I haven't seen anything past that yet. I'll have to see how it turns out. It wouldn't be the first that made it past 3 only to be dropped by 9. Endings are a big deal for me and can easily be a make or break thing for the season as a whole. I have to say that nothing has really grabbed my attention this season or last. Some of it's been entertaining (Aharen-san) but most of it is clearly aimed at younger and / or fantasy-phile audiences while I'm an older SF guy. Can't remember the last time - what I consider - a good SF was released.
  4. BTW - speaking of VR - I heard a creepy SF plot idea the other day. Embed an AI in a VR setup. At first the AI just monitors your interactions through the VR gear and uses the input to generate a shadow you that (ideally, eventually) can respond exactly as you do in the VR world. At first it just pretends to be you at your direction if you get sick or when you're unavailable for some reason but when you die the AI takes over and nobody knows the difference.
  5. I'd like to do that too. I've tried it and liked it (for the most part) but I'd like to get a system set up with it here at home. Not a high priority given the expense but something I've been watching and wanting to get into for a while now.
  6. That's just this season on crunchy. Not even all of it. If you haven't already you might want to check out the MyAnimeList site. Crunchy's site is ok for streaming but it leaves something to be desired in terms of creating a watch list, discovering new stuff, or keeping a list of what you've already watched. (And of course it only has what's in Sony's catalog.) I'm horrible at keeping my own MAL list up to date but the site is a good resource for getting an overview of the anime and manga world and has good tools for plan your viewing / reading schedule. MAL is also good for finding new-to-you anime that's similar to others that you have liked.
  7. Took a day off from work-work to catch up on some work around the house. Since my brother and SIL left for cheaper digs in Kansas a couple months ago I've been kind of using their old bedroom for storage. I decided that really wasn't a good use of the real estate but I'm not really sure if I want to make it an office or a guest room yet. Either way, since I skipped that room for spring cleaning I decided that was the first order of business. Spent most of the day cleaning it and going through everything in there, including everything in the closet. Afterwards I took a bunch of stuff down to donate to Goodwill. A few things went into boxes destined for the garage. Worst part is I think after all that I actually wound up with several MORE items on my todo list. Now that there's some space available I might temporarily move a bunch of stuff from the living room in there so I can have the living room rug cleaned and the walls repainted.
  8. Welcome! Sorry but I'm not really into the ones like Naruto that go on forever. I need a story, and half of a story is in the ending. One- or two-season runs are more my thing, especially the science fiction ones like Planetes (a recent rewatch) or Ghost in the Shell. Recommendations welcome. That said, I'll look at pretty much anything that comes along. I have a crunchyroll subscription (since before it was Sony) and they do simulcasts but I usually wait until the end of the season to binge-watch a series. We're far enough along in the current one that I've done the 3-episode preview thing and came up with a to-watch list of Teogonia, Too-Perfect Saint, Apocalypse Hotel, and Gorilla God's Go-To Girl from this season and the second season of The Apothecary Diaries and Aharen-san. Maybe Shirohiyo and one or two others as time permits.
  9. Unnamed Memory 小さなてのひら (Palm of a Tiny Hand.) (EP22 ED) Suisei no Garganta ED ー 空と君のMessage
  10. If you're a fan of Azumanga Daioh then you might also like Acchi Kocchi. I liked the snowball fight one.
  11. Currently watching Teogonia. The ED has a good beat but the words are a bit harsh. (Song is 月と僕と新しい自分 / The Moon, Me, and My New Self by STU48)
  12. Keeping with the aquatic monsters theme, another good bad movie was "Lake Placid". It has Betty White in it. How could it be bad?
  13. I can generally understand spoken Japanese and the clutter of subs can sometimes get in the way so for me I usually just go with the original audio. I read fast too though so for those rare times when the dialog is complicated or whatever then I'll usually turn on the subs rather than switch to dub.
  14. I have a hard time picking favorites so here's a few. More or less in order of preference. Senko-sama Belldandy Negato Yuki Morgiana Chitanda Eru (as long as she's not curious )
  15. 月と僕と新しい自分 / Tsuki to Boku to Atarashii Jibun STU48 (ED for Teogonia)
  16. This is true as well, but I think that it falls in to the category of "SO bad it's good".
  17. Cleaned off my solar panels yesterday so of course today it rained all day. ]
  18. Saw that one. We can hope. Dunno tho. "Mansquito" was right up there too.
  19. The Japanese anthropomorphize everything. Even their spacecraft and rocket testing centers get cute mascot characters. Re: topic.... neko kitsune
×
×
  • Create New...