AI Art Generation: Beneficial or Problematic?

Lyndis

5 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about AI art?

• Positive
    • Negative
    • Depends ( please explain )

I went looking to see if a thread on this topic already existed. Please direct me appropriately if so.

Everyone and their mama has heard about AI art generators and the various arguments and opinions folks have about them by now. Stable Diffusion, Dream, Craiyon, even applications like Lensa that use AI to augment existing images and countless others are arriving by the day. They've quickly become a mainstay in almost every artistic community I'm apart of or adjacent to. I've heard people argue both in favor and against their use, especially when it comes to collecting a profit off what people generate, and now I want to hear it from ya'll.

Which side of the spectrum do you fall? Is AI a legitimate tool for people to use in artistic "creation", or do you feel more strongly about how it borrows from the artists these various engines "sample"? Do you think it's ethical for people to make money using these programs? Do you feel similar about AI text generators? Would you play a game, read a book, or consume other media that was made entirely from AI? Do you feel that artists should disclose whether or not AI was used in their works?

Why or why not?

I've had a quick play with one of the AI programs and it generated some interesting pictures based on the words I typed in, but I don't really think I could 'claim' them as my own work.  To my mind it's not all that different to raiding Google images for picture elements and combining them into something 'new', it's ultimately just stealing someone else's work. As a photographer I'd be a bit put out if I discovered someone was using parts of my photos to create their own pictures, I'd be more that just 'put out' if I was a professional photographer and earned my living taking and selling photos.

Edited by Animedragon
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

as an artist myself, i'm definitely not the biggest fan of AI art. as somebody who's spent years of their life working hard to improve their art, seeing somebody just click a button and claim that as their own definitely annoys me. not to mention that it steals the work that others have worked very hard on. i think AI can be a fun little thing to play around with, but once it starts to steal art and have people use it and call that their own work, that's where i have issues.

• Friendly 1

I feel like it s only a special filter that change the entire image. It s so effortless and none educational. Humans are still far better. The only advantage I found was, it s more productive but not accurate! The ai is so confused in different colors just like the magic wand tool in photoshop! It feels like they have the same action with different command! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i'm gonna add onto what i said earlier as well. another issue that i've noticed is that actual art is constantly being accused as ai art. this issue definitely has less to do with the ai itself and more to do so with the art community, but i'm CONSTANTLY seeing ppl post their speed paints/art processes just for the comment sections to be filled with ppl accusing the creator of using ai. that rlly sucks bc ppl put a lot of work into their art just for it to be put down as ai generated.

another worry i have which has more to do with the ai itself is that as ai improves, will we stop requiring actual artists? ai is improving more and more as each day passes, constantly getting better at generating images and doing all sorts of things. the quality of the images produced is getting higher and i can't help but wonder, will ai art override real art? we're already seeing ppl using it to show what their characters/ocs look like, or to claim as their own worl, so how long will it be until companies and businesses start using ai? will they start to use ai instead if hiring real ppl to do the work? as i said, ai is improving and growing so quickly,  who knows what could happen. i just hope this doesn't happen, bc as quick and easy ai art is to use, as an artist myself i'd be devastated to see it overtake real works ppl have put their time and effort into.

• 2 weeks later...

Even calling it AI 'art' feels wrong to me, I refer to them as AI generated images, and that doesn't sound so invasive anymore.

Besides the fact that the engines steal from their copying sources, the only and single utility I can see for AI images are playing with a machine. Giving it some funny words and seeing what comes out, nothing serious, something in the likes of "make up a flag for unicorns eating carbonara", and having fun with what it makes, but nothing further.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have no problem with it, provided it's good art. If computers can do it better I'll enjoy it. If it challenges artists, even better. And if you can't tell the difference... who cares? 

On 1/9/2024 at 3:16 AM, Tomochan said:

its not real art. its copyright infringement on a massive scale

the makers of this need to be locked up. Im hoping for that outcome, and im sure it will happen

I'll consider that "Copyright" thing the next time I'm buying home made pokemon toys at an anime convention. 

Edited by Clayton
  • Confused 1

17 hours ago, Clayton said:

I'll consider that "Copyright" thing the next time I'm buying home made pokemon toys at an anime convention. 

Fan art isn't subject to copyright since it's derivative work. By that turn, the US Copyright Office and related government branches decided recently that AI generative art cannot be copyright as it was more machine than human creation. So neither AI art nor whatever Pokemon toys you buy from a convention are at all applicable to copyright laws/infringement.

• Silly 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of the art AI generates is interesting to look at but nothing more. I don't agree that you should claim AI generated work as your own, as you did nothing but type in some key words. Therefore if using it, should be displayed that it was created with AI. 

The reality is though we live in a world where technology is advancing and things like AI works are showing up more. Most people can't even tell the difference in if something is AI made or not. I've even seen several pictures of landscapes that I've had to look twice at to realize they aren't real and have been made by AI. I still haven't decided if that's scary or not yet. 

For now though, I just see them as something fun to play around with from time to time when I'm bored.

• Like 1