Can you tell difference between CGI and hand-drawn?

djc123

I am a game developer and have recently had a disturbing conversation with some family members.

It seems that they cannot make any distinction between CGI and hand-drawn animations. For example, I showed them game play footage of Legend of Zelda Wind Waker, and asked them if they could tell a difference in quality between that game and Studio Ghibli anime films.

They could not. I tried to point out that in hand drawn animation, perspective is not perfectly preserved from frame to frame, whereas in CGI (ie. all video games) perspective is always perfect because it is a mathematically consistent simulation of 3d objects.

They couldn't notice the difference. This was SO frustrating to me because I can feel a difference in the way the two things feel, VERY dramatically, and have a strong preference for hand-drawn animation.

So I am wondering if most people are like my family and cannot even tell a difference??? I really hope not.

This is really odd, one is 3D and the other is 2D, completely different mediums... Maybe they just dump anything that isn't "live action" into the "cartoon" category, and consider it all the same?

• Like 1

Cgi is something like you can extrude & has polygon while drawing doesnt have these! Some game developer are mixing these 2 like capcom on their street fighter game! Not really sure but check street fighter iv if am not mistaken! It would be better if you know these 2😉

• 2 weeks later...

There is a huge difference in the way the two look, I thought that was fairly obvious to most people too lol 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...