Weird Words

Ryuji

So I'm obviously bored as I make this thread but here are two words that I find to be weird.

1.) Marshmallow - Marsh = wetland and Mallow = plant so basically a Marshmallow is a wetland plant? NO! It's a soft fluffy thing that we roast over fires and add chocolate and graham crackers to and eat smores.

It would make more sense if it was called Marshmellow because Mellow = soft and sweet...which is what a marshmallow is. Makes more sense right?

2) Discombobulate- If you discombobulate somebody, you confuse them. However you can't cure their confusion by Combobulating them because Combobulate is not a word. If you can't combobulate someone how can you discombobulate them by adding the prefix dis-?

If you have any words that you think are weird, feel free to post them. I know some of y'all are bound to be as bored as I am xP

(according to Webster's Dictionary)

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1

So I'm obviously bored as I make this thread but here are two words that I find to be weird.

1.) Marshmallow - Marsh = wetland and Mallow = plant so basically a Marshmallow is a wetland plant? NO! It's a soft fluffy thing that we roast over fires and add chocolate and graham crackers to and eat smores.

It would make more sense if it was called Marshmellow because Mellow = soft and sweet...which is what a marshmallow is. Makes more sense right?

2) Discombobulate- If you discombobulate somebody, you confuse them. However you can't cure their confusion by Combobulating them because Combobulate is not a word. If you can't combobulate someone how can you discombobulate them by adding the prefix dis-?

If you have any words that you think are weird, feel free to post them. I know some of y'all are bound to be as bored as I am xP

(according to Webster's Dictionary)

Actually, Marshmallow is a plant used in healing

• Informative 1

I always thought gazebo is the weirdest and stupidest word ever.... I don't like how it sounds.. ;-;

Also conglomerate sounds hilariously idiotic, dunno I always thought it's bad...

And then it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.... But dunno if that counts

• Like 1

Concur (verb; a formal word) To concur means to agree. From Latin concurrere meaning "to run together".

However, it has always sounded negative to me, although it could be just because there are other negative words starting with "con-", but "con-" is not a negative, it is the Latin for "together", or at least in this context!

So what other words beginning with "con-" are there? I've grouped some together, and classed them as "negative" and "postive":

[spoiler=Negative]

• Conceal - from Latin con- + celare meaning "to hide thoroughly";

• Concede - from Latin concedere meaning "to yield";
  • Conceit - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;
  • Concussed - from Latin concussus meaning "violently shaken";

• Condemn - from Latin condemnare, dictionary doesn't say anymore than that;
  • Condescend - from Latin condecendere meaning "to show humility", ironic;
  • Condition - from Latin condicere meaning "to discuss" or "to argee", quite a different meaning to these days;
  • Confess - from Latin confiteri meaning "to admit";

• Confine - from Latin con- meaning "with" and finis meaning "boundary",;
  • Confiscate - from Latin confiscare meaning "to seize for the public treasury";

• Conflagration - from Latin conflagurare meaning "to be burnt up";

• Conflict - from Latin confligere meaning "to fight" or "to contend";

• Conform - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;

• Confront - from Latin confrontari meaning "to stand face to face with";
  • Confuse - from Latin confundere meaning "to pour together";

• Congenital - from Latin congenitus meaning "born together with";

• Congested - from Latin congestus meaning "pressed together";
  • Conjecture - from Latin conjicere meaning "to throw together";

• Connive - from Latin connievere meaning "to blink", quite a different meaning to these days;
  • Consequence - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, however Consequent is from Latin consequi meaning "to pursue";
  • Consign - from Latin consignare meaning "to put one's seal to", some link to today's meaning;
  • Consolidate - from Latin consolidare meaning "to make firm";
  • Conspire - from Latin conspirare meaning "to plot";
  • Constrain - from Latin constringere meaning to "bind together" or "to restrain";
  • Constrict - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;
  • Contagious - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;
  • Contain - from Latin con- + tenere meaning "to hold together";
  • Contaminate - from Latin contaminare meaning "to defile";
  • Contempt - from Latin contemnere meaning "to condemn";
  • Contend - from Latin contendere meaning "to stretch" or "to strive";
  • Contort - from Latin contortus meaning "twisted";
  • Contract - from Latin contrahere meaning "to draw together";
  • Contradict - from Latin contra- + dicere meaning "to speak against";
  • Contrary - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;
  • Contrast - from Latin contra- + stare meaning "to stand against";
  • Control - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;
  • Controversial - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;
  • Conundrum - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;
  • Convict - from Latin convictus meaning "convicted of crime";
  • Convoluted - from Latin convolutus meaning "rolled together";
  • Convulse - from Latin convellere meaning "to tear up"!

Those that appear to be of the same root origin, I've put in bold!

[spoiler=Positive]Concern - from Latin concernere meaning "to mingle together";

Confide - from Latin confidere meaning "to trust";

Confident - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;

Congenial - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;

Conjunction - from Latin conjunctus meaning "united";

Connect - from Latin connectere meaning "to bind together";

Conscience - from Latin conscire meaning "to know";

Conscious - from Latin conscius meaning "sharing knowledge";

Consider - from Latin considerare meaning "to inspect";

Consistent - no origins listed in my Collins School Dictionary, might update at a later time;

Console - from Latin consolari meaning "to comfort";

Construct - from Latin construere meaning "to heap together" or "to build";

Consult - from Latin consultare meaning "to consider" or "to reflect";

Contact - from Latin contactus meaning "a touch";

Contemplate - from Latin contemplari meaning "to regard";

Content - from Latin continere meaning "to contain" or "to hold back";

Continue - from Latin continuare meaning "to join together";

Contribute - from Latin contribuere, dictionary doesn't say anymore than that;

Convene - from Latin convenire meaning "to come together";

Convenience - from Latin conveniens meaning "appropriate";

Converge - from Latin con- + vergere meaning "to bend together";

Convince - from Latin convincere meaning "to demonstrate conclusively"!

Same as other section, the words that appear to be linked by root, have been put in bold!

Well that's all, I could have branched out into neutral, and also this positive and negative definition is my own opinion, so some people may see these words differently!

just the comment id be expecting from one waiting in lieu to be walked in on

I'm a cyborg. All you would be walking in on would be me talking to myself in the bathroom miror xD (I don't need to pee or wash, so I'm fine)

I'm a cyborg. All you would be walking in on would be me talking to myself in the bathroom miror xD (I don't need to pee or wash, so I'm fine)

lol gez your making it interestingly easy

that opens up a lot of options , what is a cyborg a machine , machines need cleaning and regular maintenance , you know draining of old fluid lubricants and replacement entre a mechanical technician of a different gender base

onsen bath scene :P

cyborg in front of a mirror , is the mirror a gate way are you from another dimension or future or past with a little more creativity thrown in to the mix being the mirror is in the bathroom enter , well I suppose there are multipull options on who to entre

I can feel another onsen bath scene coming on :P

talking to your self in the bathroom are there two people in one body like in the anime Birdy the Mighty

a conflicting onsen bath scene with one self (#*o*#)

tumblr_n01d25CYr91s8egydo1_500.gif.a860d6254f6cc97aa9dac40aa980748c.gif

lol

tumblr_n01d25CYr91s8egydo1_500.gif.dfef11f7383b72de386f0d348b8e6b8f.gif

Edited by Guest

lol gez your making it interestingly easy

that opens up a lot of options , what is a cyborg a machine , machines need cleaning and regular maintenance , you know draining of old fluid lubricants and replacement entre a mechanical technician of a different gender base

onsen bath scene :P

cyborg in front of a mirror , is the mirror a gate way are you from another dimension or future or past with a little more creativity thrown in to the mix being the mirror is in the bathroom enter , well I suppose there are multipull options on who to entre

I can feel another onsen bath scene coming on :P

talking to your self in the bathroom are there two people in one body like in the anime Birdy the Mighty

a conflicting onsen bath scene with one self (#*o*#)

[ATTACH=full]29768[/ATTACH]

lol

Excuse me strimmer, but xyro is robotic externally and mutated human internally, so he doesn't need to wash or drain any type of "fluid"

And xyro has dificualty talking to people, so talking to himself is just a way to calm down and think.

I will never be caught in a bathroom scene, unless its me drowning Simone in a toilet for hurting a friend T_T

@metroman008 you must really like it posting it twice either that or you have a stutter :D

it happens sometime where the post doesn't appear and then it posts twice. used to happen in the chat as well so everyone was saying everything twice :P

cybersquatting: the practice of registering names, especially well-known company or brand names, as Internet domains, in the hope of reselling them at a profit.

• Like 1