Thoughts On The Latest Episode of Fruits Basket?

6 hours ago, EnviousEnvy said:

I'm a bit behind on the series (watching too many series at once).

I used to think Shigure was my absolute favorite but as of right now Haru and Rin are slowly taking his place (or at least will be another top favorite). I see so many people obsessing over Kyo but honestly I'm partial to Haru and his struggles too. He's so emotional and his personality is just *sigh*. Haru definitely deserves more love too.

Agreed. Haru is definitely a favorite of mine as well. And yeah, we absolutely need to delve deeper into his back story because I'm sure it's incredible. 

• Like 2
  • Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I cried. More than once. Even though my own life experiences couldn’t be more different than Yuki’s, the feelings & truths this week really went into some personal territory for me. To be for

I feel sorry for rin.

I know I'm a bit behind but I got up the part where Akito slapped Momiji (my poor bunny 🥺) and Tohru came to save the day. Even though Akito wanted to ruin Tohru's day and ultimately the rest of her l

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, RuthisianCodex said:

Agreed. Haru is definitely a favorite of mine as well. And yeah, we absolutely need to delve deeper into his back story because I'm sure it's incredible. 

Haru is also one of my favorite , but i definitly can't forget other characters like momiji , :) 

• Friendly 1
18 hours ago, RuthisianCodex said:

Would be cool if they did a spin-off series focusing on Haru.

• Agree 1
On 9/25/2020 at 1:31 AM, EnviousEnvy said:

Would be cool if they did a spin-off series focusing on Haru.

You might find this ANN article from 2018 to be of interest, then. :)

Manga artist Natsuki Takaya announced on Twitter on Monday that her Fruits Basket Another manga will end with the next chapter. She acknowledged, however, that it is only "tentatively" the final chapter because she would still like to draw one-shots.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting, had some difficulty in putting down my thoughts on the season’s final episode & the series up to this point where I was happy with how it sounded when I read it. That I’m hopefully getting across what’s been rattling around in my head without sounding overly emo, cringey, or opinionated.  I’ll start by saying that this is pretty much a lock for my AOTY & will probably be in my alltime top 10 when it’s all over. In 40 years of watching anime, I can’t think of another series that has gotten me so emotionally invested in it’s characters. As I’ve stated before there isn’t any direct correlation between my own life experiences & those of the characters. But the psychological & emotional needs to feel accepted, loved & valued resonate very powerfully. In truth, I generally avoid overly dramatic or emotional series as I primarily watch anime as a way to de-stress & escape from some of my heavier thoughts. But as much emotional turmoil as this series stirs up, it always manages to still impart a sense of hope. That as painful & traumatic  as things have been in the past or even the present, there is still hope for a better future. Of course, there are more light hearted & even comedic moments scattered throughout, but it’s the emotional impact that really defines the series for me.

Switching to more specific thoughts on the final episodes, I was relieved that the season ended with what I view as it’s inescapable & climactic confrontations put off till next season instead of leaving the viewer to agonize for months during the hiatus. The reveal regarding Akito’s gender actually felt underwhelming.   While I had already heard that she was a woman, it actually seemed pretty obvious even without the foreknowledge. I seem to remember @wikkidgrace commenting earlier that this aspect seemed to be downplayed by the adaption & would probably affect how she was viewed. My current theory is taking into account the tirade she goes on before attacking Rin & her hysterical fear of abandonment is that her mother left her father for another man & he took his resentment out on her, raising her to believe women are deceitful & untrustworthy, basically hating & rejecting her own gender. She also seems to be in the unique position of being both spoiled AND neglected. Raised being told that she is special but still treated as a figurehead or tool by the clan’s elders. Supposedly honored, but not shown any genuine affection, given the zodiac members as “pets” to be treated as she sees fit. And essentially told that the only reason anyone would ever love her is out of obligation or being forced to. It seems highly likely that Kureno being mysteriously freed from the curse was the trigger for her going from arrogant/condescending to being openly abusive that Yuki alluded to a couple episodes back. Even though Kureno chose to stay with Akito, the fear that he could leave her if he wanted to & she wouldn’t be able to stop him clearly terrifies her. The biggest problem I have with the way she has been portrayed up to this point is that I can see her as a tragic figure, but not as a sympathetic one  & it will be extremely difficult to convincingly make her one. ALL the Soma’s have had heartachingly  painful backstories & it’s difficult to imagine that her’s is any worse. Moreover, she comes across as genuinely malicious, trying to intentionally breakdown others & at times even injure or maim them. Even when Kyo lashed out at Tohru in his cursed form, his intent was to frighten her badly enough that she would never come near him, not cause her any lasting harm. But I fear Akito is quite capable of trying to kill someone she sees as a threat. Which makes Tohru’s situation all the more dangerous, because my own feeling is that breaking the curse entirely will require helping Akito to face her own personal demons as she has done with the other Zodiac members. And beyond the physhcal danger, there is Tohru’s own psychological & emotional trauma that she’s keeping bottled up while helping others find some measure of healing. While I remain convinced that some measure of happiness awaits all the characters by journey’s end, I also believe the greatest challenges they have to overcome still lie ahead. Needless to say, while I’ll happily accept a brief emotional reprieve, I’m looking forward to see things come to their resolution next year.

Thank you to everyone who has participated in the conversations up to this point as it had made the shared experience that much more meaningful 🥰

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2020 at 8:56 PM, Ohayotaku said:

My commenting earlier that this aspect seemed to be downplayed by the adaption & would probably affect how she was viewed. My current theory is taking into account the tirade she goes on before attacking Rin & her hysterical fear of abandonment is that her mother left her father for another man & he took his resentment out on her, raising her to believe women are deceitful & untrustworthy, basically hating & rejecting her own gender. She also seems to be in the unique position of being both spoiled AND neglected. Raised being told that she is special but still treated as a figurehead or tool by the clan’s elders. Supposedly honored, but not shown any genuine affection, given the zodiac members as “pets” to be treated as she sees fit. And essentially told that the only reason anyone would ever love her is out of obligation or being forced to.

I like this theory, it's not super far off from the truth. But it looks like we'll have to wait for season 3 to have that discussion. :(

I'm honestly surprised they cut it off where they did... but now I know the next season is going to come in with a strong YEE-HAW. Can't wait.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, wikkidgrace said:

we'll have to wait for season 3 to have that discussion. :(

Already looking forward to it 😁

• Friendly 1
  • 3 weeks later...

@Brandonn saw on your MAL that you watched season 1, but didn’t see season 2 listed. You should definitely watch if you haven’t already. I’m already looking forward to the conclusion next year.