-
Posts
906 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
19
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Blogs
Everything posted by RepentantSky
-
Considering I was pretty closely following my choices for Spring, I pretty much wrapped those up as they finished, although I started watching Re: Creators last night and I'm about half way to being caught up. Beyond that, I'm also watching Boruto, Konbini Kareshi, Koi to Uso and Fate/Apcorypha. There's a couple of other anime that I started when they came out last week, but I don't know if I'll continue to watch them or not.
-
Just started this one after reading what I could from this thread without being spoiled. I'm about to start episode 4 now. It's a very interesting idea I have to admit. It's kind of like The Devil is a Part Timer in a sense, but unique enough on it's own to make it fun. I think there's 15 episodes out so far, so I'm gonna catch up, because it seems to be worth doing.
-
This is a weird anime for some odd reason. For starters, it spends the first minute and a half just showing the MC running to a location like he's looking someone you know nothing about. After he finds the person he's looking for, we're introduced to a slue of other characters through the intro, which is kind of odd in and of itself, because it manages to avoid sounding like most anime intros of today, but it does so by sounding like most anime intro's of 90's and early 2000's. In the intro we're introduced to characters like this girl: And this one: From there it's kind of your typical set up for a Romantic Slice of Life sort of show. The first girl who's image I posted meets up with this girl: after they bump into one another, and they talk about their common interest in reading, and the one with the glasses mentions how she often finds herself annoyed with the MC's best friend Towa, which is about the only name I managed to catch, because they rarely refer to each other by name, which is odd. You'd think if the plan is to introduce several characters in the first episode, you'd want their names said a lot so that they can be remembered better, but it doesn't really happen. After that Towa and the MC start talking about whatever they are going to do after school while a bunch of characters given no names or context show up briefly, using the same scenes from the intro for some reason, and then it cuts back an apparently important convenience store where a decent amount of the episode takes place. Towa and the girl with the glasses have an exchange setting up their potential romance, and the episode ends. All in all it's kind of weird, and makes me think that the creators of the show don't quite know what they are doing, because the cuts are weird and the lines really don't work well towards making me remember names. As an intro episode, I have to give it a lower end rating of a 4/10. It has the potential to be something interesting, but this first episode didn't do a good job of conveying that possible potential. Here's hoping it gets better from here.
-
Episode Threads - preview images/text
RepentantSky replied to Optic's question in Feedback and Support
Well, what I've been trying to do on numerous occasions in other threads and even a previously made episode discussion thread, was googling an image, viewing it, copying the url and posting it, which only posts the link, without the image itself showing up, which means either the site I'm getting these from doesn't work with this forum which seems off, because I've tried several site just in case that were true, and always get the same results. Just now, I have a second tab open for the forum and I'm trying to upload the image after saving it, and all I'm seeing when I preview it is the hyperlinked code for the attached image, which doesn't lead to the image I'm clicking anyways. Shouldn't I see the image as I preview it, or does it only show me the hyperlink when I try to follow the instructions. I'm quite unsure at this point. -
Any other God of war fans here? (Blood and gore warning)
RepentantSky replied to SAO LILDOOP's topic in Chit Chat
Just a thought, but if you're going to put a warning of graphic content at the start of a thread, it's probably not really good to post it in the initial post where everyone can see it by simply entering this forum. Anyways, I'm fairly unfamiliar with the games myself. I wasn't allowed to play them as a kid because my Mom wasn't completely convinced at the time that violent video games didn't lead to violent actions, and I for some reason haven't ever gone back and played them. I've seen them played a bit here and there though, so they do interest me. Soon as I have the money and time, I really should really pick them up and try them myself. -
As long as we're including movies, because that's where most of my knowledge for 3D anime comes from, I'd say .hack://Beyond The World. It doesn't really stand up animation wise all that well now, in fact it kind of looks like Code Lyoko in terms of animation, but I like it. It has a good story, the characters are really believable, and it did a good job convincing me at the time that anime being in 3D might not be all that bad. Too bad it turned out that movement had to become more plastic looking as time moved on, or that it got mixed with far superior 2D animation, but for the time, I had hope of the idea succeeding.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Episode Threads - preview images/text
RepentantSky replied to Optic's question in Feedback and Support
Simple question, but how do you make an image work when starting an episode discussion? I've seen that the coding is basically [attach=full and so on, but linked images seem to have numbers between them when they work and I'm entirely sure what that's about or why it works. There;s clearly something here that's going over my head. Sorry if this doesn't quite fit here, but I'm not really sure where else to ask this without making a new thread, which seems it bit much for this. -
Koi To Uso - Episode 1 Discussion
RepentantSky replied to KaiTellsTheTruth's topic in Anime Discussion
I enjoyed it, the problem with it is, is that I feel like it's already possible to guess at the ending, because the MC is either going to end up falling love with the person who was selected for him and keep the system in tact, or he's not and it's gonna break down, or something will happen where he ends with neither of them and the system either stay intact or still breaks down. I suppose a possible 5th and 6th ending would be that someone who wasn't in the trailer will also end up in the MC's life and and there will be another will they/won't they going on, but that just seems needlessly convoluted. Overall, the show might be enjoyable, but it's also a bit too cliche, so here's hoping it breaks some boundaries and really uses it's setting to turn out something unique, but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. As for the first episode setting up what will happen for the rest of the series, I give it 3.5/5. It would have been higher if I just went off of emotions and all that we're expected to, but it just felt so familiar, and not in the way that I wanted it to, that I can't give it any better than that. -
That can indeed be a problem. Having too many expectations be they high or low, can make or break the enjoyment of any form of entertainment. That's why I always either try to avoid hype or negativity altogether, or do my best ignore them, so that I can try to enjoy a show for what it is, without thinking about the opinions of people who may or may not agree with it. Also, I can't think of a single anime I've ever seen where it's first episode had me so hooked into the show that I knew I'd watch it till the end without fail. Even in a shorter anime like Your Lie in April, it does take a few episodes to become truly engrossed.
-
Mind if I ask what specifically about what Your Lie In April had wrong with it that caused you to drop it? Even as someone who has tired of a lot of tropes that it without a doubt has, I find it every enjoyable and interesting, so I'm very curious about what kept you from finishing it.
-
To be fair, when everything takes place in a foreign world and setting, it's getting crazy is kind of a norm in anime. It's not always there, but it's really not shocking when it happens either. Anyways, to answer the question, the obvious answer is FLCL. You could argue that maybe that's not true because it starts off fairly weird, but then it calms down a bit for an episode or two, and goes right back into the crazy un-ashamedly and never really looks back.
-
I mean, I can't speak for Cy, but for me personally, I stopped watching it completely because I hated the animation. It kind of ticked the box of lazy animation for me three times in a matter of minutes.
-
I guess that's what these forums are good for right? No one's going to judge you for liking anime here.
-
10 Tropes in anime that need to die (ASAP)
RepentantSky replied to RepentantSky's topic in Anime Discussion
Excuse the double post, but I'm adding one in for the childhood friend who's in love with the main protagonist but has no chance with them because a new character shows up, or if you prefer, the "childhood friend" cliche. We already know how these characters are going to play out because it's always the same, and it's always boring and uninteresting because it's been done of often. Unless it ever ends in an unexpected way, there's no point to these characters existing anymore. -
Yes, and it also has incest, so smart choice. I remember watching about half of it before I said no to it and dropped it hard.
-
I go on a strike system as well. Mine are one strike per offense though, although that can change if the offense is egregious enough. Those strikes are lazy animation, harem's, ecchi, characters who are unbelievable in some way or another (whether extremely stupid or a Mary Sue) and a lack of any individuality. I've seen hundreds of anime over the years, I don't need the same plot lines thrown at me time after time.
-
Sub is getting tired because everyone had sounded the same for 40 stupid years and it's just gotten to the point where it's lazy and annoying. As long as a dub is acted well, I'll take it over a sub any day.
-
Bleach comes to mind. I wasn't because of the fillers directly either, it's because the stories in the fillers got samey and bland. The first few filler arcs were great, but they just kind of fell off as time progressed.
-
We had a thread recently talking about tropes and have mentioned them elsewhere in other threads but I feel like making a list out of them might spark more conversation, more understanding, and might entice anyone else to make their own so here we go. 10. Making every setting a high school or having high school aged characters and cast. This one is at the bottom of the list for a few reasons, namely that sometimes, that setting works, such as in the recently started Yokai Apartment or Koi to Uso, or even, Attack on Titan. The other big reason is that this is a problem mostly only for people who are far enough removed from high school that the setting makes less and less sense to them while as anyone who is head to, or is in high school probably sees these people and hopes to be like them while they are still in school. However, that former statement is also one of the major problems, I can only buy that someone of high school age can handle their problems better than I can while I'm twice their age so many times before it becomes unbelievable that so many people exist who can do that. A recent example is an anime I mentioned just the other day where the kids gamble like pros despite a lot of evidence suggesting that most kids in their early to even late teens, don't have the mental capacity to do that. 9. Overly sexual high school students. This one kind of plays into the last one, and the argument against it only makes so much sense. That being that because Japan has different laws about the age of consent than a lot of the world, they can sexualize teens because they are of age. The problem with that, is the reminder that a lot of Japan's market for anime isn't living in Japan, and that not every anime is going to bring in new kids at an age where that would be appropriate. Not to mention that it also stands as a reminder that Japan seems to forget that it's audience has aged and they could be seen as perverse for liking an anime that has this problem, even if they aren't meant to. With anime out there like Full Metal Alchemist and Free! This is a two way road, that needs to meet it's end. 8. Using the same dialogue for the first few episodes of an anime. I mentioned this one before elsewhere, but I'll say it again, I can usually watch the first few episodes of an anime and understand pretty much everything that's going on without subs of any kind or quality, because they use the same tired lines. Japan has tried to counter this by creating lingo for each anime that does it, that only applies to that anime, but it doesn't help, because there are usually so many visual aids that remove the need for that lingo and often times these specific things for each show, do things that any other weapon or item, or what have you, have already done with other shows, defeating the purpose of the lingo two fold. 7. Combining Fantasy with the real world, and not innovating it. This is a more recent problem with anime, as a few of these will be, but it's become one of the biggest. Anime fans all know that Re:Zero was popular, but they don't need at least two versions of the same kind of anime for each following season. The Summer 2017 season has at least three of these anime, two that have already had their first episode, and one that it yet to come. Alice to Zoruko is close to being that as well, but changes up the formula by focusing on real world instead of the fantastical one, and even then the fantastical world isn't exactly a typical 15th to 18th century setting, so commonly found in these anime but is instead more like a Alice in Wonderland setting. It can be done right, most that use it though, are trying more to create another version of Re:Zero, and it's simply not going to be as easy as they'd like to believe. 6. Making characters eyes look more and more fake. Okay so, this is also a recent one, and an odd one to explain. Back when ufotable wasn't the well known animating team that it is, they made an anime called Manabi Straight where the characters had eyes similar to what you might see in one of their current shows and they were praised for the look, so they thought to keep making characters with eyes like that more often, and getting praised for the anime has a whole not either because of, or despite the characters eyes. The problem is though, that anime eyes were just starting to become more believable around that time in other anime, which is something a lot of fans wanted, and now they've taken a turn for the worst. The issue of eyes was mostly brought up people who liked the changing style to more realistic eyes made the characters feel more human, whether they were or not, making them easier to relate to. As such, going the other way around will have the exact opposite effect on some people, and while I won't blame ufotable entirely for this issue, there's no doubt it's there and those kinds of eyes are better fitted for people or characters not meant to feel human, even if they are. 5. Stop the Harems, all of them. This is a trope that at a time was once compelling, used to make anime romantic drama's more enticing for fans, but as of late, both Japanese anime and anime style games have used it as a way to simply push one note characters who is a Mary Sue sort of protagonist who acts all flustered about the situation to show they have a good or innocent side, and they are often treated as though that's the best way to get that across which is foolish. They had ways to do it before the Harem idea was used, and a lot of people weren't tired of those. But hey, gotta get that sexy in there for all those lonely anime fans on prom night right? 4. Stop assuming 99 percent of relationships are straight. To be fair, there is at least one anime I saw a trailer for recently that should be a part of the Summer 2017 anime season that clearly two men in a relationship, but then again, it looks like it's a typical high school drama in every other sense, and I already mentioned the problem with that. Plus, there's only one of these that I'm aware of and yet three anime out there trying to be Re:Zero? No thank you, that's not the kind of anime world I want to be a part of. It doesn't matter if it's Yuri, Yaoi, or hey, for the sake of being really compelling, a new anime genre where the main character is Bi and has a hard time choosing between someone of the opposite gender or of they same gender. A love triangle like that could make for some amazing story telling. It needs to happen more often, and in doing so, it might be a way to force anime as a medium to be taken more seriously by those who treat like it's still for kids. 3. Making actions scenes look like they were directed by Hollywood. For those in the know even a little bit about current Hollywood, a lot of movie action scenes are shot with shaky cams and a lot of jump cuts, making it cheap to produce, and less harmful to actors and stuntmen, but ultimately hard for viewers to follow, and as such has been a point of contention among fans for the last several years. Japan has recently started picking this up with some of their action scenes, only they've changed it to make it even worse, because the action scenes that do this, don't use either jump cuts or shaky cam, but instead just cut out the action bit of the scene entirely while placing in sounds that make it appear to the ears that action is happening. To be fair, some of the anime where this happens are simply taking ideas from action anime of the 70's and 80's but it's not either of those decades anymore, and it needs to stop before it becomes as common a practice in anime, as it is in Hollywood. 2. Gore for the sake of gore. It might seem odd to have something like this so high on the list, but hear me out. For the longest time, pointless amounts of gore has been seen as a way to try and make people take something seriously that might not have been otherwise. It's treated basically like a kid trying to play adult and everyone laughing at them either internally or in the case of the internet, externally. An anime, a TV show, or anything like that, isn't always going to be treated with greater respect simply because of it's rating. Violence needs to have a place, and doing it any other way, is likely to make things such as the aforementioned Bi anime, should it ever happen, lose some of it's importance because it will be connected to anime that's seen as childishly gory. There simply just needs to be a balance. 1. Using the same voices all the time. We're practically going full circle here as in the 8th entry, I suggested we stop using the same lines all the time. In the entry I said that it's possible to watch the first few episodes of an anime without subs because the lines are the same almost all the time, but making that even worse, is the fact that those lines are often said by the same sounding voice, even if the actor is different. Japan has been notorious about using the same voices since all the way back in the 70's and there some people who like it when people always have the same kind of voices, because to them it's more about the characters as opposed to how they sound, and that's totally fair. However, as someone who has watched hundreds of anime over the years, I can honestly I stopped caring about who voiced who, and instead am more interested in what they sound like because I've already heard those lines a thousand times and would like them to sound different please. Japan has had a habit for many years where they make fun of older movies and cinema that made them the powerhouse of the medium that they are today, anime and other types of shows and movies included, and it would just be nice, to see them starting doing that this voice similarity trope, that is just so far past it's prime. And that's my list, got any other suggestions or additions to make to mine? Let me know about them.
-
http://www.dualshockers.com/assassins-creed-anime-series/ I don't have a proper opinion on this. First off we don't know anything about it, I haven't watched anything from the director named Adi Shankar that I'm aware of, and it's seems like anime is one of worst mediums that AC could tackle, but you know what, I guess we'll find out in time.
-
Attack on Titan - hottest female character?
RepentantSky replied to SAO LILDOOP's topic in Anime Discussion
Gotta go with Hange on this one, partly because most of the other choices are half my age or so, but also because she really manages to have that look of being older than the rest of the cast, but being able to keep up with them in every sense. That's attractive, flat out. -
I really need to finish The Kings's Avatar. I watched the first 3 episodes and for whatever reason haven't continued it. Beyond that, I've watched the first season of RWBY and I own the second but I haven't gotten around to finishing that and catching up either. There's something about non-Japanese anime with me I guess. Although if you want to count Avatar: The Last Airbender in that, I finished that show no problem.
-
What would you do if the user^above you had a crush on you?
RepentantSky replied to FSL29's topic in Forum Games & Memes
Don't know, I don't really know anything about her. That said, we have at least some similar interest from what I can gather out of this thread, so I'd be fine giving it a go. -
I can honestly say I'm annoyed, most of the anime that I watched today are super boring or cliche. I already made a thread on two of them in the Episode Discussion sub-forum, but there's way too many to talk about at once with each getting their own thread. I'd be here all night trying to make a decent description out for each one, so I'm going to summarize with a sentence or two, each anime that I watched. Here we go... Knights and Magic - A very slight twist on the idea of an Okatu/shut in ending up in a fantasy world, the only difference being that this Otaku was apparently a game developer of some kind who died and got reincarnated. In life he was obsessed with building mechs from anime, and where he is reincarnated is a fantasy world that has something very similar in it, and it's a pretty dumb idea with an even stupider set up. No more anime like this please, seriously it needs to die. Isekai Shikudou - Basically the same sort of idea as Knights and Magic but instead a modern day restaurant connects to a fantasy world and they have food pron for reasons I don't understand. It's Working! meets Food Wars meets Re: Zero except it lacks most of the elements from any of those to make it interesting. Enmusubi no Youko-chan - It's just a longer version of Fox Spirit Matchmaker with the "extended" parts of the episode being taken up with rather poor attempts at humor where it doesn't fit and the characters who seem to be more confused than any viewer would be watching it for the first time. Skip. Keppeki Danshi! Ayoama-kun - It looked like it had the potential to be interesting or comedic, whichever way it most wanted to head, but it's about a futbol player who is 16 that is a complete neat-freak, and somehow ends up popular with all the ladies at school. It's a one note joke that would have worked better in the early days of cartoons, but not really ever in anime. Kakegurui - This is one of the anime I already made a thread about, but to speed that summary up, it's about a bunch of rich kids at an academy that really should be too young to understand the ins and outs of gambling, but are somehow amazing at it. If it wasn't a school, or everyone was a bit older, I might buy into it, but it's just another excuse to have another anime where a character gets into impossible to get out of situations and does it anyway, and the fact that these kinds of anime have to have gimmicks now, is proof of how stale they are. Katsugeki/Touhen Ranbu - The other one I already made a thread about, this one is somewhat interesting, but all in all looks too much like ufotable forgot that it isn't Tales of Zesteria the X, because everything looks exactly like that show. However, it's basically about one group trying to ruin history, and another trying to stop them, kind of like Assassin's Creed without the animus, and also for some reason, the only era's they seem to go to are ones where Samurai are a normal thing so you wonder why they even have a semi sci-fi element to it. Maybe it'll pay off, but from the first episode, it seems kind of hard to justify it. Fate/Apocrypha - This one is pretty interesting. Without spoiling the plot, it's basically about a Holy Grail War, but I won't explain the rules or anything like that. The first episode was mostly talking but it has an interesting set up so I didn't mind. That said, the action was probably the worst part of it because it was moving so fast most people won't be able to follow it, and honestly if DBZ can avoid that issue, everyone should be able to. Beyond that though, I think this is a show worth getting into. I'm uncertain if you need to have watched other fate anime in order to understand this one. Yokai Appartment no Yuuga na Nichijou - Fun. It's about a kid who enters into an apartment after the dorms he was planning to move into were burned down, where most of the residents are Yokai. The only other humans we've seen so far are an exorcist character who is likely the potential love interest, and an author that the MC is a huge fan of. It seems harmless and maybe it's not meant to be taken that seriously, but it's fine and I might continue watching it as new episodes come out. I caught one more before going to bed called Koi to Uso which is about a Japan where the government decides who you will marry when you turn 16. The main character doesn't like the idea, as he's been in love with someone for a few years now. I don't want to spoil anything with this anime, but it just might be the best anime of this season, at least for now. You should for sure check it out if you're a fan of romance anime. And that's everything that I've seen so far. If you've seen any of these, let us know what you think about them.
- 1 reply
-
- 5
-
-
Anime Forums
A unique community of fans from around the world, who gather to share their fandom and love of anime, manga, gaming, fanart and at the cornerstone of it all, Japanese culture!
Take a moment to join us today and you'll have access to our member clubs and events too. Come join in the fun and become a part of our community.