How Do You Buy Manga?

Kiritofangirl

Do you buy manga in bulk (lots of volumes at once) and binge read it or do you buy volumes seperately and read the series over a long period of time?

Personally I buy manga volumes separately. But I only have the first and second volumes of manga.:'(:'(:'(:|

I tend to like to buy a few at a time depending on how invested I am in the story. They aren't cheap even second hand isn't cheap for manga.

I read a lot of it online now because its just easier that way.

Because you can't really find manga here (there's only one store in the whole city that you can buy manga from) I have to order the next volumes from said store's website and have them delivered to the store. I usually buy just 1. 2 if I can aford it but no more.

Edited by Guest

I only buy the manga I really liked mostly, reason being there is no place to buy one here, so I have to ask my friend in Indonesia to send it here, quite a hassle for him(since he doesnt even like manga), so I dont really buy much of them.

As to where I bought them, I usually just ordered it online and give my friend address.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

In store, sporadically, impulsively, in bulk and pickily - I usually buy manga as a spare of the moment kind of thing, if I see something of interest, however I do also look over the book to see if I'm happy with it's condition!

It would be cheaper to buy from the net, however I wouldn't be able to check it's condition! That said there are a number of manga that I want that are no longer stocked in shops, so the internet would be the only place, it's just getting round to it!

• 3 months later...

I usually buy from retailers and fill in the gaps or ask them to order in certain volumes so I can buy them, however usually I buy in bulk since the shop is far away from my house (an hour by car)

• 3 months later...

I often go to my local bookstore and take a look at the manga they have there. Mostly I like to collect the series that I have already seen or read. Sometimes I buy them online but i'm a sucker for physical copies :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It depends.

If it is available digitally, Amazon, since I can still download ebooks from them, but if I cannot buy it digitally (e.g. Railgun), I use Barnes & Noble, since I get free shipping due to my membership.

The local comic book store (used to be "Comics Connection", now it's "Kinokuniya") always has a few manga I would like to read. They even do pre-order for you, Kinokuniya. But of course, the manga you want to read isn't always available, in which case, there's online purchase. But damn, that can be really expensive with the shipping fee from the US to Singapore.

A justified excuse for piracy, me thinks... :P

When I read manga I would always buy at the bookstore. When I wanted manga I wanted it right away dangit!

Understandle. Digital is even quicker and more convenient, but I am thinking you prefer print.

• Agree 2

Understandle. Digital is even quicker and more convenient, but I am thinking you prefer print.

I'm the sentimental type, so I do think print has something valuable digital copies will never have. That feel of the page as you flip away is something special. There are other benefits too, like how the contrast and coloring are closer to what the mangaka had intended in print than digital (the latter of which would probably be affected by brightness-adjustment and the such more so than the former). You also get that cool wraparound skin a lot of manga have. Finally, digital copies can sometimes ruin the surprise earlier than intended when their page-layout isn't adjusted properly (like how you sometimes have to flip a page to find out what the monster look like).

Also, it's just kinda cooler to express yourself what kind of manga you're reading in the public when you're holding it up for everyone to see, something you can't really do with an iPad or an iPhone. :P What? I'm proud of my inner-otaku...

Edited by Guest
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do. There's nothing quite as satisfying to me than a physical book in my hand and the look of a book collection on my book shelf. For anything else digital is fine but I prefer physical books.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I do. There's nothing quite as satisfying to me than a physical book in my hand and the look of a book collection on my book shelf. For anything else digital is fine but I prefer physical books.

I see. I am glad I was right. How do you deal with shelf space?

I'm the sentimental type, so I do think print has something valuable digital copies will never have. That feel of the page as you flip away is something special. There are other benefits too, like how the contrast and coloring are closer to what the mangaka had intended in print than digital (the latter of which would probably be affected by brightness-adjustment and the such more so than the former). You also get that cool wraparound skin a lot of manga have. Finally, digital copies can sometimes ruin the surprise earlier than intended when their page-layout isn't adjusted properly (like how you sometimes have to flip a page to find out what the monster look like).

Also, it's just kinda cooler to express yourself what kind of manga you're reading in the public when you're holding it up for everyone to see, something you can't really do with an iPad or an iPhone. :P What? I'm proud of my inner-otaku...

That's kind of interesting.

For me, as nice as print can be (no need to worry about battery life), there are things that I do not particularly like, such as taking up more shelf space and things get hidden by the spine, and the graphic novels are not formatted well enough to not have problems.

I usually read manga in portrait mode, so I do not have much issue with surprises being ruined.

For me, as nice as print can be (no need to worry about battery life), there are things that I do not particularly like, such as taking up more shelf space and things get hidden by the spine, and the graphic novels are not formatted well enough to not have problems.

To me, the shelf space feels more an obstacle than a problem. It's part of the charm of collecting manga and putting them up in your shelves the way one would decorate his room with anime merchandise. If I have more shelf space and purchased manga on my hands, I might have put them up too for display.

• Like 1