Anime that made you uncomfortable

Clayton

Hellsing Ultimate was a rough one for me. It took everything that made the original Hellsing good, and exaggerated it to enhance the emotion behind it. On the surface, there is nothing disturbing about it. But when you watch the 40-60 minute episodes, each one has a few scenes that were tough to get through in any kind of positive way. There were some more tame disturbing moments which were surprising but digestible. But how they portrayed the abuse of characters was difficult. It was a tough watch which was the point to be sure, but the details they had you sit through and watch are supposed to have you relate to the mental breakdown of the characters. For Persona 5 fans, think Shiho if you saw in graphic detail the worst case of abuse that happened to her, but then add a violent element to it too. That is how it was in Hellsing Ultimate for multiple characters and it was unrated so you see it all.

This is the only anime that comes to mind where I am not sure if I could sit through it all again. There were really good moments but I came out of the anime wondering if it was worth it. I still do not have the answer.

Ouran High School. As much as a classic as it is, the relationship between the always twins irked me among other weird things as well. Adding onto it, was when I read another work of the same mangaka called Behind the Scenes, and the main character ended up with his younger cousin...

20 hours ago, Daxter said:

Hellsing Ultimate was a rough one for me. It took everything that made the original Hellsing good, and exaggerated it to enhance the emotion behind it. On the surface, there is nothing disturbing about it. But when you watch the 40-60 minute episodes, each one has a few scenes that were tough to get through in any kind of positive way. There were some more tame disturbing moments which were surprising but digestible. But how they portrayed the abuse of characters was difficult. It was a tough watch which was the point to be sure, but the details they had you sit through and watch are supposed to have you relate to the mental breakdown of the characters. For Persona 5 fans, think Shiho if you saw in graphic detail the worst case of abuse that happened to her, but then add a violent element to it too. That is how it was in Hellsing Ultimate for multiple characters and it was unrated so you see it all.

This is the only anime that comes to mind where I am not sure if I could sit through it all again. There were really good moments but I came out of the anime wondering if it was worth it. I still do not have the answer.

The original was one of those anime made before they finished the manga. actually I think they were only up to book 2. 

But yeah, adding Nazis is a good way to bring anybody down. That's one reason Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is so much better than the original anime. 

There's this hentai called Milk Mommy or something that I found creepy. This woman has a fetish for feeding people her milk, but then she ends up killing both her lovers and her daughter. 

• Wow 1

On 12/5/2023 at 2:29 AM, froggy said:

and the main character ended up with his younger cousin...

While this may be a little disturbing it's not illegal in most countries* but it's usually prohibited if both of the cousins live together in the same house while one of them is underage.

* depending on local laws and customs.

Made in Abyss

EXTREME violence & body-horror in a series with a child protagonist. While season  1 had it’s share of disturbing scenes it didn’t necessarily seem gratuitous (to me) for the story. If you’ve watched many nature documentaries you realize how violent & brutal it can be. Likewise how disgusting biological functions are if you’ve watched any reality medical shows on cable. However, the longer it goes (the sequel movie & 2nd season)the more it can feel (to me) like it’s just trying to outdo itself & certain things almost feel fetishized. To use @Daxter’s “was it worth it” analogy, season 1 was yes for me but beyond that point it’s questionable & think I’ve probably reached the limit on my tolerance.

Also most of Junji Ito’s work that I’ve read/watched. Frequently called a Master of Japanese Horror, I admit to him having a knack for being weird & disgusting, but rarely what I consider “scary”.

Edited by Ohayotaku
  • Wow 1

19 hours ago, Animedragon said:

While this may be a little disturbing it's not illegal in most countries* but it's usually prohibited if both of the cousins live together in the same house while one of them is underage.

I've heard about that before! Its understandable in some cases, but in this fictional manga, the girl cousin was in high school and the main character was in college when they fell in love (mostly one-sided on the highschooler's part).

Although, technically, it was during the epilogue where they were both married adults that it revealed that they were together. So it was a slap to the face when I read the epilogue after such a good read because there were other love interests besides the high school cousin. It kinda came out of nowhere, but then I remembered all of the subtle hints throughout the manga that the highschool girl was interested in her cousin. I didn't think that the mc would return those advances when she became an adult, or whatever happened between the time when the mc graduated from college (last chapter) and the epilogue.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 9:35 AM, Clayton said:

There's this hentai called Milk Mommy or something that I found creepy. This woman has a fetish for feeding people her milk, but then she ends up killing both her lovers and her daughter. 

this is the last thing i expected to hear today but, uh, i guess i heard it 😃😄😃

now don't get me wrong, i LOVE Violet Evergarden with all my heart. it's one of my absolute favourite series, however nothing is perfect, and unfortunately Violet Evergarden has it's moments too. that scene where it's revealed that Violet and Gilbert end up getting together and stuff has always made me feel a little sick to the stomach. you can argue that it's legal because Violet has turned 18 by this time, however age gaps like this (especially in scenarios like this) never sit right me. i just think this was very unnecessary and kind of ruins the whole relationship built between Violet and Gilbert. no romantic interest was needed.

images(5).jpeg.39822c5a399518bce8a70f0e7fa963d1.jpeg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 2:21 AM, Animedragon said:

You should see who Tenchi masaki married

Hunter x Hunter the last 2 arcs in the anime; the phantom troupe and chimera and attack on titan even naruto part 1 everything with Orochimaru and Garra now that I think about lots of anime make me uncomfortable

Paranoia Agent is about the only anime I can think of that made me feel uncomfortable. I don't really think it was even that bad compared to some stuff but it made me want to stop watching it. 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 6:39 AM, Zelis said:

Attack on Titan. First time I've ever seen titans eat people.

I hear the taste varies from person to person. 

There are way worse eating scenes though. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'd have to say, by far, the anime that made me more uncomfortable than any of the others I've ever seen is RIN: Daughters of Mnemosyne. I bought it though, but I didn't really know all of what it was about. I just read the synopsis and thought it'd be good to watch. o.o

Parasyte made me uncomfortable. Strange as usually I like horror animes and shows. Something about it made me uncomfortable and I didn't finish it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, to tell the truth I always try to not watch romance anime as they are boring for me and uncomfortable to watch but there are a lot of scenes in different anime that reflect that subject and I always  try to skip that parts. This is another issue as there can be some important stuff that can affect the later parts of anime and now I do not know how to solve this problem. Maybe it can be funny for some people but I want to enjoy the anime not skip every minute.

• 2 weeks later...

The top 10 anime that made me feel uncomfortable are 

0. Dark Gathering - Horror, creepy deutragonist , disgusting scenes , what did I just watch , scared for life

1 ito to Junji maniac collection - A horror-telling Anime that creeped me out for life

2 Yami Shibai - same as one 

3 World's End harem - basically hentai

4 SPIRITED AWAY - MADE ME QUESTION MY REALITY AND JUST TOO SAD

5 PROMISE NEVERLAND - SAME AS 4

6 Super hx heroes - Basically Hentai

7 Hellsing- no comments

8 Higurahi when they cry - creepy, psychological manipulation and too many betrayals 

9 God of high school - what did I just watch 

10 one piece fans

Edited by Otaku savior