Sword Art Online - General Discussion

Optic

So I finally finished the first season of sword art online and I loved it. I don't know why I put this one off for so long. I haven't read the manga but after reading mixed reviews I kind of put it off and it was way better than I expected. I loved the story, the characters and art.

Now I am off to start season two. Is it just as good as season one? Does the story actually end for good?

I didnt even know they make a manga version of SAO xD.

Well, the first part have quite similar "intensity" as the first part of season1, but the second one is just meh compared to the rest of the arc, still enjoyable nontheless.

mechaBD said:
Now I am off to start season two. Is it just as good as season one? Does the story actually end for good?

I quite enjoyed Sword Art Online II, mainly due to Sinon. She's a main character in the first Gun Gale Online arc.

The rest of the arcs dive back into Alfheim Online, which aren't so bad. And towards the end Asuna becomes more of a main character as opposed to Kirito taking the spotlight all the time, which is refreshing.

Definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the first season. :angel:

The discussion topic for Sword Art Online II:

• Like 1

I didnt even know they make a manga version of SAO xD.

Well, the first part have quite similar "intensity" as the first part of season1, but the second one is just meh compared to the rest of the arc, still enjoyable nontheless.

They might not even have a manga for SAO I just assumed they did. xD

I'm sure I will enjoy it. I am actually quite excited for season 2. Does the movie take place after season 2 or should I watch it first?

It will be fun to see all the players in real life.

They might not even have a manga for SAO I just assumed they did. xD

I'm sure I will enjoy it. I am actually quite excited for season 2. Does the movie take place after season 2 or should I watch it first?

It will be fun to see all the players in real life.

The movie I just posted? Thats actually not out yet.

Edited by Guest

I quite enjoyed Sword Art Online II, mainly due to Sinon. She's a main character in the first Gun Gale Online arc.

The rest of the arcs dive back into Alfheim Online, which aren't so bad. And towards the end Asuna becomes more of a main character as opposed to Kirito taking the spotlight all the time, which is refreshing.

Definitely worth a watch if you enjoyed the first season. :angel:

The discussion topic for Sword Art Online II:

Sword Art Online II

That is cool I love Asuna as a character. With the development of the relationship between her and Kirito I had expected her to become more of a main character.

Thank you for pointing me to the SAO II thread. As I watch season 2 I will be sure to report in. (y)

The movie I just posted? Thats actually not out yet.

Oops I thought the movie was already out. :?

Well that answers my question. xD

I watched it and loved. Kind of hated the harem part(not much of a fan of harem) but still good.

I liked it where it had a lot of cool fights. Liked it where it had romance. Was shocked too. Well, I had a lot of expressions that I can't explain.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think this could be classed as spoilers, I was going to use a spoiler tag but I have no idea how. If this could be considered spoilers please tell me.

For me I thought it was a good anime but FAR too short. The SAO story arc was just too short for an SAO anime, it should've been an entire season maybe more just for SAO. The AO arc shouldn't have started so soon, I feel they should have shown the characters adjusting to normal life for a little longer for character developments sake. All in all it was good but too short for it's own good, but if it had to be only 25 episodes I'd say they did pretty good under the circumstances.

• 2 months later...

I'm really sorry to have to say this, but I absolutely cannot stand SAO in any way, shape or form personally :P I managed to bring myself to watch all of the original first season, at a very big push, but didn't bother with the second season whatsoever after that as it really just doesn't do anything for me at all...I just really don't think it's all that, I never have and I never will :-/

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
I'm really sorry to have to say this, but I absolutely cannot stand SAO in any way, shape or form personally :P

That's a fair comment. :) Given it's immense popularity, many people either love it or hate it with a passion.

Looking back at both seasons as a whole there were many moments of SAO which I didn't like, and admittedly if Asuna wasn't in it I probably would have dropped it early in the first season.

I think I'll create threads with my favourite and least favourite moments. Yes... (o^.^o)

• 1 year later...

As someone who has seen S1 S2 and watched the ordinal scale movie when it showed on the 9th of march, I can honestly say being one of the first great anime's i was introduced to, SAO has remained my #1 favorite. The Aincrad arc was indeed too short and it hopped around quite a bit. In the Alfiem arc, I felt that the absence of the threat of death only put more focus on the race against time to stop the baddies plan (trying my best not to spoil lol). The key factor in this series, to me anyways, was the emotion. As a hopeless romantic who has read a crap ton of romance novels (and manga) the emotion that the voice actors put into the show (mainly referring to the subbed version) really made this anime shine. When Asuna screamed his name, it sent chills down my spine, it was that well acted.

S2 as a continuation of the series, brings back the threat of death and expands on the "Death Game" idea in the first arc known as Gun Gale Online. It has great action sequences (all seasons...not just S2) and in S2 the acrobatics really add effect to the sheer bada** that is kirito-kun. Now then for the main dish... For those of you that didn't get the chance to see the Sword Art Online: Ordinal Scale movie, you will be in for a treat. It's coming out this fall and, personally, I will be buying the movie when it comes out on dvd. I don't know if you've watched anime in a movie theater before, but it is chilling. The soundtrack they bring back gives you feelings of nostalgia from S1. Paired with even better animations as it is a movie (on par with UFOtable's eyegasmic animations from any of the Fate series'), there truly is no better way to watch it other than a surround sound system with the bass pumped to max. Along with these two features, Kirito, while still being more bada** than Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee (lol), isn't the redonculously overpowered god that he was in S1. He feels more human to me in the movie. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved the god he was in S1. However, not everyone felt that way and it gave rise to conflict and disagreements that are still ongoing today. I give the entire series a solid 9/10 from a critic standpoint and a perfect 20/10 from an entertainment POV. After watching many critics on youtube (MothersBasement majorly) I found myself defending SAO's S1 with pride, while yet, understanding the points he was making. Without spoiling anything for you, I recall MB stating that Kirito was a hollow character that broke the series with his "plot convenient Hacking Skillz". I, while being an avid fan of the series, actually agree with his point he made. Kirito is never really given much of a background. However I, unlike MB, don't believe this takes away from the story at all. When viewed from an entertainment POV, his shallow character build actually leaves the viewer to be able to imagine themself as Kirito (assuming you're good with computers and programming. Overall, it's a great series to watch and I would recommend it to everyone as a top contender in the Action/Progressing Romance genre (not many anime's actually progress the amount you want them to, SAO on the other hand does). Thank you for following me with this, and please, let me know you're thoughts. I love discussing anime as it opens up new viewpoints to me.

Edited by Guest

So I finally finished the first season of sword art online and I loved it. I don't know why I put this one off for so long. I haven't read the manga but after reading mixed reviews I kind of put it off and it was way better than I expected. I loved the story, the characters and art.

Season two is just as good as season one, better in some areas, actually, and no, the story has enough content to go on for probably 7 seasons so sit tight and enjoy the show :)

sorry just realised how old this thread was lol

I'm really sorry to have to say this, but I absolutely cannot stand SAO in any way, shape or form personally :P I managed to bring myself to watch all of the original first season, at a very big push, but didn't bother with the second season whatsoever after that as it really just doesn't do anything for me at all...I just really don't think it's all that, I never have and I never will :-/

Ty for wording it like you did. As a fan of the series, nowadays, I see too many people trashing on it without respecting the opinions of those they're replying or posting to. You've given me hope for the future of forums. :)

• Geano locked this topic