What anime are you watching now?

Optic

4 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

I just watched the 10th episode of 16bit sensation another layer and yeah it just keeps getting better and better. i don't wanna spoil because you seriously need to see this anime. it's such a masterpiece

I'm intrigued by the premise of 16bit sensation and it's on my list of series to watch, when it finishes airing, I have no patience these days to wait a week or so between episodes! 🙂  I've seen a few reviews of it and opinions range from "it's a masterpiece" to "it's total rubbish", I've seen a few clips on YouTube and it looks like for me it'll end up somewhere in-between those two extremes, but time will tell (there's sort of a series related joke somewhere in that comment 🙂).

• Like 1
  • Friendly 1

I watched some more Boruto this weekend. I can safely say this Funato Clan arc is the best side arc of the series. I have not seen this level of investment in a side arc in the franchise since the Sora arc in Shippuden. At this rate, only two episodes of the season will be left when it is done. I saw the legendary Boruto crying meme, but it definitely did come at a sad and dark time. 

• Awesome (Sugoi) 1

Migi & Dali episode 11 while none of this week’s revelations/ developments were particularly surprising, the way they played out still felt shocking. And with 2 more episodes left it seems likely there will be at least a few more twists before the end. With it’s surreal & macabre tone, the series frequently approaches the level of horror instead of just mystery. I definitely consider it one of the season’s under appreciated series.

Edited by Ohayotaku

I've now finished the third series of Chihayafuru. In this series the focus switches away from the karuta club's club room as the club members take part in various competitions and tournaments. Character development continues for each of the main characters and one of the things I like about all three series of this anime is that the character development is believable, they don't go from beginners to ace players almost overnight and they don't win all their matches.
In this third series we see some of the club members experience demands outside of the karuta club for which they have to make important decisions, and decide which is the right decision to make. Towards the end of the series the relationships between the three main characters start to crystallise which causes some tension between them.
The story ends on a rather strange note and as the manga continues beyond this point there is perhaps the possibility of a fourth series to end the story, but there's no hint of this actually happening (which is a shame).
As with the previous two series, the artwork and animation are of a good quality and the storyline continues to be well paced. The background music is also good and fits the scenes it's used in.

For a series based on a Japanese card game that's hardly known about outside Japan the story is remarkably engaging and enjoyable, it managed to hold my interest for the whole 74 episodes, and left me wanting more.

• Wow 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:39 AM, Yung Pablo said:

I am currently rewatching Sword Art Online, and I very much recommend it

Nice! I love sword art online. I still have to watch the alicization arc tho

I've been rewatching the BanG Dream TV series, BanG Dream is a large multi-media franchise, and the three TV series feature several girl bands. The storyline is centred on one of the bands, but they don't appear in every episode so the other bands get their share of screen time.
The storyline follows the bands as they perform on stage at various Live Houses and later on as some of they take part in a band competition. The artwork and animation is of good quality as is the character development and story pacing. Being a series about bands means there's a lot of music the musical style of the bands varies and the majority of the songs a quite good.
One slight problem is that for the 1st series there are no subtitles for the songs, the 2nd and 3rd series are better in this respect but there are still a few songs that aren't subtitled.
Overall, I enjoyed watching these series for the second time.

• Winner 1

5 hours ago, Animedragon said:

I've been rewatching the BanG Dream TV series, BanG Dream is a large multi-media franchise, and the three TV series feature several girl bands. The storyline is centred on one of the bands, but they don't appear in every episode so the other bands get their share of screen time.
The storyline follows the bands as they perform on stage at various Live Houses and later on as some of they take part in a band competition. The artwork and animation is of good quality as is the character development and story pacing. Being a series about bands means there's a lot of music the musical style of the bands varies and the majority of the songs a quite good.
One slight problem is that for the 1st series there are no subtitles for the songs, the 2nd and 3rd series are better in this respect but there are still a few songs that aren't subtitled.

I have thought about checking out this series, so it is good to hear positive remarks about it! Did you have a favorite band?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daxter said:

I have thought about checking out this series, so it is good to hear positive remarks about it! Did you have a favorite band?

If you like music based anime I think you'll like this series. As for my favourite band I'm torn between Poppin Party and Roselia, they have different musical styles, but both are very good. Poppin Party are just out to have fun and enjoy themselves taking part in concerts with other bands, while Roselia are on a mission to Be The Best (the two movies,  Episode of Roselia: 'Promise' and 'Song I am' give the background to the band and explain the reason behind their aim.)

• Useful 1

8 hours ago, Animedragon said:

If you like music based anime I think you'll like this series. As for my favourite band I'm torn between Poppin Party and Roselia, they have different musical styles, but both are very good. Poppin Party are just out to have fun and enjoy themselves taking part in concerts with other bands, while Roselia are on a mission to Be The Best (the two movies,  Episode of Roselia: 'Promise' and 'Song I am' give the background to the band and explain the reason behind their aim.)

Roselia sounds like my style but I can see the appeal of Poppin Party. I have not really dealt with a music anime before but it does sound intriguing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daxter said:

Roselia sounds like my style but I can see the appeal of Poppin Party. I have not really dealt with a music anime before but it does sound intriguing!

Bang Dream is a bit different to most music anime because while all the band members are in school their bands are not part of a school club, in fact the school element is rather in the background with most of the story taken up with the interactions between the band members and the other bands. Quite a bit of the action takes place on stage at the various concerts.

• Wow 1

9 hours ago, Animedragon said:

Bang Dream is a bit different to most music anime because while all the band members are in school their bands are not part of a school club, in fact the school element is rather in the background with most of the story taken up with the interactions between the band members and the other bands. Quite a bit of the action takes place on stage at the various concerts.

That sounds like a cool take! It sounds like that would put a lot more weight and excitement into the stage scenes.

Edited by Daxter

On 5/16/2023 at 4:15 PM, Animedragon said:

This evening I finished watching Kaina of the Great Snow Sea, and to be honest I found the ending a bit unsatisfactory. Up until the last few minutes of episode 11 it was an excellent story, but then they rushed the ending.  Eleven episodes seems a strange number and I wonder if it was intended to be 12 episodes, there certainly looked like there was plenty of material in those last couple of minutes to make a 12th episode to give the series a proper ending. I wonder if they just ran out of money and had to pull the key points of the originally planned ending into the closing minutes of the 11th episode, it certainly seemed that way. Throughout the preceding 10.5 episodes the story was well paced so it was very odd that they crammed the closure into the final few minutes.

The sequel movie is apparently up on Crunchyroll now if you’re interested. I’ll probably watch at some point, but no idea when (maybe before posting my 2023 Favorites, though the tv series on it’s own wouldn’t make the cut).

Edited by Ohayotaku

3 hours ago, Ohayotaku said:

The sequel movie is apparently up on Crunchyroll now if you’re interested. I’ll probably watch at some point, but no idea when (maybe before posting my 2023 Favorites, though the tv series on it’s own wouldn’t make the cut).

Thanks for that info. I'm currently rewatching Clannad (again) so I'll watch the movie when I finish.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2023 at 8:26 AM, Animedragon said:

oh, bang dream! i play the game (or at least i DID until the new update made it unplayable, cough cough) but i've been meaning to watch it as well. may i ask what you watched on?

after QUITE some time, i finally finished S1 of kimi ni todoke/from me to you! it's such a cute series and i can't wait to get started on S2. sawako and kazehaya make me very happy 🤧

Edited by KaiyaSaysHaiya

3 hours ago, KaiyaSaysHaiya said:

oh, bang dream! i play the game (or at least i DID until the new update made it unplayable, cough cough) but i've been meaning to watch it as well. may i ask what you watched on?

The three TV series and the movie are on HiDive while Crunchyroll has the new series BanG Dream It's MyGo!!!!! along with the movies; Film Live 2nd Stage, Poppin Dream and the two Roselia movies.

All watched on my TV which is hooked up to the computer in the lounge via HDMI.

• Useful 1

Continuing with Boruto, I have watched several more episodes and the Funato Clan arc is becoming my favorite side arc in the franchise. The fights are not developing characters much, but the story, stakes, and pacing has been fantastic. Timely deaths and tight storytelling is allowing this arc to flow very well. But with Ikada awakening his power, the end is definitely near now.

On 12/24/2023 at 7:26 PM, Animedragon said:

The three TV series and the movie are on HiDive while Crunchyroll has the new series BanG Dream It's MyGo!!!!! along with the movies; Film Live 2nd Stage, Poppin Dream and the two Roselia movies.

All watched on my TV which is hooked up to the computer in the lounge via HDMI.

ah, okay. thank you! ^^

I started over and watched Zom 100 from the beginning to get back up to speed. I watched the first 5 episodes a few months back, but since I had put this show on ice for so long, I felt I needed to refresh my memory on the beginning.

I actually enjoyed this anime, it was a lot of fun, despite the subject matter and there being a lot of (un)death throughout the series. I find the MC oddly relatable in many ways, perhaps with the exception that I'd be that thrilled during a zombie apocalypse. In the first episode, he says, "There's one thing I think of before I sleep... Please let me sleep, and never wake up." I've had that thought a few times in the recent past, and for mostly the same reasons as Akira. Being overworked and not having much of a work-life balance, and not being able to just up and quit due to me owning the business versus just working for it. Thankfully, I've been able to readjust my outlook towards it and I no longer think that thought, but I definitely relate to Akira when he said that. I'm glad he got to get away from that hell he was in and can do the things he now wants to do that he couldn't before. Just sucks that it took the zombie apocalypse to make it happen for him, but I admire his upbeat attitude during all of it.

Now I'm gonna try to finish up Spy x Family S2. After that, I'm considering watching Vinland Saga.

• Like 1

Just finished 16bit sensation another layer yesterday ( i forgot to post my "review" here lmao) and it genuinly was amazing. everything about it was super good. Good thing it was made by the same person who made kaminomi. Even though i think it's really good i would also see why others think it's not that good but please give it a chance. Talking about it without spoiling is probably impossible lol so yeah i would recommend reading the next part only if you fully watched it. it's major spoilers

Spoiler

this anime took a path i genuinly didn't expect lol. at first it seems like a slice of life show but then towards the end it slaps aliens and the butterfly effect on you at full force. Even though it takes a different path that others wouldn't expect, i was impressed by how good it still was even after that. every turnarounds? were surprisingly unexpected but well written at the same time which i appreciate a ton.

also it's completely different from the manga and both are super good so i recommend also reading the manga

12 hours ago, Soramee_ said:

Just finished 16bit sensation another layer yesterday

This series looks interesting and I've been waiting for it to finish airing so I can mini-binge-watch it 😀.  I'll probably make a start on it today.

I watched the Kaina of the Great Snow Sea movie at lunchtime today. I thought it was really impressive with lots of dramatic action, but not so much that it over powered the flow of the well paced story.
Overall I found it a very enjoyable film to watch.